Brewer Fanatic

Law on ESPNradio and one of my own...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He already did it once Al. Peavy just did it, Oswalt did it, Carpenter did it, Zambrano, even Santana around the same time that Sheets did. They just need to make the offer before he reaches free agency and they have a shot.

Exactly Al.

The Brewers can't win with Sheets AFTER 2008. If he's healthy and good, he's going on the open market, and therefore most likely leaving. If he's not healthy for a fourth straight season, why on Earth would the Brewers give him another large contract?

The best case scenario if they aren't going to trade him right now is that he cashes in during this, his contract year, and the Brewers benefit by doing some damage in the post season.

I think there's a chance they offer him an extension early in the season, say no later than the All-Star Break if he's healthy to that point. Sure they're still taking a risk, but it's better than doing it now when you haven't even seen how effective he is in '08. I'd actually be more concerned about how he pitches when healthy than about injury concerns, because he wasn't as good in 2007.

Come on why would you even include the 5th starter or any of the fill ins. 5th starter is skipped over a bunch of times during the season so there is no way he will hit the 200 mark. Any fillin player is not going to hit the mark either unless he come into the rotation early. So we are talking about 120 SPs that at the start of the season have a realistic chance of hitting 200 IP. We are talking about 30% of SP hitting that markm last year. Now I will bet Ben Sheets is being paid in the top 30% of SP around the league and he sure is not earning his money when you look at the IPs.

Well, I never said anything about pay-scale or any of that. I included all pitchers because I didn't know I was supposed to use a qualifier like 'some don't count.' You said 200 IP is "routine," when clearly it isn't - reinforced by your estimate of 30%.

I understand your point about payment v. production, but my only issue was 200 IP getting called "routine." It's just not.

I never said it was routine that was someone else did.

Wanted to point out that you really can't include the 5th SP because they are not used like the other 4 SPs are.

I dont think 200IP is routine in this day in age. I would hope the #1 guy would be hitting that mark more than missing it year after year. With the 30% mark of 200IP pitchers out there you can now see why the Brewers went and gave Suppan the money they did. His ability to eat innings was his value and with a #1 that has not been eating innings lately they had to find someone.

I think they will offer him an extension if healthy and try to guage what the Agent is asking for in terms of money..... if the Brewers think its to much then they can try and trade him much like they did with Carlos Lee...

One thing you have to remember is Jeff Supan's bad signing very well could be out the door after this season..... many experts felt that the way the contract escalates in pay after the 2008 season it basically means he is getting traded for prospects in the offseason. So knock off that bad contract...I think in 2009 he would be making 13 Million... so with that off the books it really is safe to say that we could re-sign Sheets even if he wants to test the Free Agent Market.

A Healthy Sheets I think goes for 16 million a year.... so figure by trading Suppan you are taking about 13 mil for 2009 and 13 mil for 2010 off the books... you are then able to use that to resign Sheets for 4 years @ 64 million.... then his salary comes off the books just in time to sign yovanni...Carlos Villy and Ryan Braun.

Archived