Brewer Fanatic

Law on ESPNradio and one of my own...

The Braves GM says it is not going to happen (Sheets deal), that their staff is complete with the Glavine signing.

Just to be specific, since I was a little misguided when I read this comment, Wren doesn't say that the Sheets deal isn't going to happen, just that the organization doesn't plan on doing anything else to upgrade the starting staff.

And I agree with Al, Mike Hampton as the #4 is nothing the Braves should be counting on. I will say that if the Braves feel comfortable with that decision I would trust their judgement than most other teams given their history with pitchers.

I also agree with Toby and Brian that a pitcher such as Jo Jo Reyes or Jair Jurrjens would have to come to Milwaukee in return in such a deal.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey MadTown, did your bud ever text you back on any other details or where it came from etc.?

No, nothing to do directly with this exact deal. I don't know how much more he could really say. I feel confident as him as a source, more so then the radio rumors I post often. If he says that Brewers and Braves have talked Sheets, I know for 100% truth they talked, whether a deal gets done I don't know since he is neither Wren or Melvin.

I can almost say with totally confidence that no deal would be done unless BOTH Sheets and Francoeur got the extensions they wanted. Once I hear more I will definatly post.

Could Hampton (plus some cash) be one to head our way? He's due $15 million, and that could resolve dpapo's doubts based on payroll implications.

If I'm Doug Melvin, and the Braves even bring up Mike Hampton, I run to Flin Flon as fast as possible and hold my ears until they stop bringing up his name. If the Braves, of all teams, are trying to trade Hampton, Hampton is done.

This would certainly give us the best young lineup in the Majors, and the terrifying thing is that they'll all be together for 3-5 more years. It'd also help stabilize a bullpen that needs all the help it can get. Sure, the rotation is weakened some, but it gives the Brewers mega cash this season to try and acquire rotation help at some point.

I'd definitely do this deal, as this would be much better compensation than a pick or two next offseason if Sheets leaves.

If nothing else, it's a heck of a lot more exciting than talking about Jason Kendall and Pedro Feliz.

I'm not sure I can express my feelings better than quoting Peavey. While I love Sheets and would be very sorry to see him go, that lineup would rock my world. Insane collection of young talent.

I'm not sure I can express my feelings better than quoting Peavey. While I love Sheets and would be very sorry to see him go, that lineup would rock my world. Insane collection of young talent.

Yah, it's really we could outscore our opponents, without even thinking about Sheets. Slide Kendall into the 8th spot, he'd draw 80-90 walks, and we'd be well on our way to one of the most prolific offenses ever outside of Coors. There's really no down time, 1-8, in that order. That would be awesome...

Why does Francouer need to be extended? Isn't he under control for 3 more years?

Need to be...maybe is too strong. I know he has been negotiating with the Braves on a long term deal similar to the one McAnn signed. Maybe its more of a Braves thing, but they like to do long term deals early to buy out Arby years.

If you're still not certain on this one, Sheets' three-year-averages at this point, are 21 starts, and 135 IP. In addition, he will either leave Milwaukee following this season, or tie up a large amount of cash for the following 4-5 years, on the hopes that he suddenly becomes more durable in his thirties than he had been in his late twenties.

For the bullpen, Mr Soriano will turn twenty-eight in a month, and has a career ERA of 2.93, with a WHIP of 1.02.

Outside of the catcher position, the oldest player in the lineup will turn 26 next season - read this line again - call Doug Melvin.

I don't believe any of this. Why would the Braves trade their RF, 2B, and a quality arm when they already lost or traded their CF and SS? Even if Hall is involved they would have to replace their 2B and RF....and a quality setup man or closer. This just doesn't add up at all especially when you consider Sheets will be a FA in 2009.

I don't believe any of this. Why would the Braves trade their RF, 2B, and a quality arm when they already lost or traded their CF and SS? Even if Hall is involved they would have to replace their 2B and RF....and a quality setup man or closer. This just doesn't add up at all especially when you consider Sheets will be a FA in 2009.

There's certainly plenty of time in the offseason to address other needs the Braves might have, if this deal were actually on the table. Andersen might be their CF solution, with Hall moving back to 2B, perhaps. Dunno, a lot of things could happen...

and the Braves' payroll could certainly support an extension of Sheets, especially considering his value has probably taken a bit of a dip with all the injury concerns. Better to extend a guy like that than take a chance on a pitcher of his caliber out on the open market, maybe.

that afternoon was 4 seasons ago. that was before they started testing for steriods and HGH. A lot of things have changed since then. With one exception- Sheets always gets injured. it's called Teddy Higuera syndrone.

That seems a little irrelevant to the actual subject to anything dealing with Sheets.

why is is not right to accuse anyone of using....with that said, the majority of the HGH users were or are pitchers, combine that with his injury history after testing was started the subject at least has to be brought up. The way things have started to develop players are pretty guilty until proven innocent.

It makes a ton of sense for the Braves. Glavine probably is gone at the end of the season. Smoltz may be off the books too. So, they could get Sheets to sign a 5yr/65-70mil deal and have insurance in case Smoltz and Glavine retire.

True, the Braves don't throw money around like the Yanks or Sox. But, they do pay their pitchers.

As a man of science this thread is a perfect example of why we have a innocent until proven guilty bias in the justice system. The line of reasoning presented above is terribly flimsy and filled with holes. Even if I accepted all of the above as being relevant arguments all you would have established is that Sheets would have a slightly increased probability of having used steroids. Well unfortunately similar reasoning leads to condemning all middle aged white males as being serial killers because they also have a slightly higher probability then the rest of the population.

You can't tell me they don't remember his HOF-caliber performance against them in May of '04. That afternoon was a perfect example of what Sheets is capable of.

You can't tell me you don't remember Chad Moeller hitting for the cycle in one game either, can you?

You can't use one game to decide whether or not to keep a player.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You can't tell me they don't remember his HOF-caliber performance against them in May of '04. That afternoon was a perfect example of what Sheets is capable of.

It's also a perfect example of what shadows in the afternoon at Miller Park are capable of.

If GM's made their decision based off a single game, they wouldn't last long.

Obviously you can't judge a player based on one day, and the shadows can be a pitcher's best friend. But to compare Sheets' accomplishment to a flukey performance like Moeller's is ridiculous. Hitting for the cycle has a lot to do with luck. You don't strike out 18 guys based on luck. Sheets has had many days like this...against the Angels, for instance, when he was robbed of a perfect game by Vlad. Does anyone remember his walk/K ratio in '04? Maybe some of you think those days are behind him, but I believe his best days are ahead of him. Many weird, non-pitching-related injuries. I know he may be too big of a risk to sign for big money, but let's not downplay what Sheets is.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived