Brewer Fanatic

Law on ESPNradio and one of my own...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't like this trade with Hall involved. Lots of man-love for Kelly Johnson, but I don't think he's that good. He rode a hot start last year, and put up some decent numbers, but none of his skills really stand out. I watched a lot of Braves games, but I never really came away impressed with him. He strikes out a ton too. I like Francouer quite a bit better, and would consider the Sheets only deal if Soriano is included. That said there is NO WAY I'm throwing in Hall and a prospect for Johnson and filler

A-le-git-lee
Okay fine but you can't deny he's had more than a few run-ins with the law.

Since 1998, he has been arrested 6 times on charges including possession of marijuana, assault, and resisting an officer. On May 23, 2007 it was reported that his wife filed a restraining order after he threatened to kill her. On June 12, 2007, a 17 year-old foster child, who was living in the care of a relative of Dukes, accused him of impregnating her. Police say the sex was apparently consensual, and no crime was committed, but they are investigating. When the girl confronted Dukes, he allegedly got angry and threw a bottle of Gatorade at her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_Dukes

A small trade that didn't get much pub, the Braves traded for Josh Anderson of the Astros a few days ago. This doesn't mean Anderson is the team's everyday starter, but the Braves do seem intent on finding a stop-gap for CF until Jordan Schafer is ready to go, possibly as early as mid-season in '08:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071115&content_id=2301252&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Gabe Gross was mentioned, and Bill Hall might fit the description from Wren as well (as could Tony Gwynn Jr.).

Expanding the trade isn't that crazy, as I speculated a week or so ago that the Braves seemed to be a logical destination for Sheets. I just don't see the Braves wanting to deal Francoeur for one year of Sheets. Francoeur seems to be a part of the Braves future just like Chipper and Andruw Jones were, and how Brian McCann is as well. I think a top prospect package is more likely, and the recently acquired Jair Jurrjens might be a key part to such a proposed deal.

If Sheets, Hall and Francoeur were all involved, that would be one of the bigger blockbuster trades MLB has seen in quite some time.

Okay fine but you can't deny he's had more than a few run-ins with the law.

I wasn't denying it, I was kind of attempting to do that Tracey Morgan Star Jones SNL gimmick. I'm well aware of that stuff, but I still would love to see them deal for him if the risk is minimal.

The difference with Wickman and Dukes is that Dukes is both cheap and talented enough to actually make a significant impact. Wickman's just a fat jerk who is a mediocre reliever at this point.

Sometimes young guys like that just need a change of scenery in order to shape up. It doesn't always work, but being in the presence of someone like Prince Fielder would probably make a lot of young players take pause before saying or doing something stupid.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If this does happen, I plan on booing Ben Sheets when he returns to Miller Park.....just cuz.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I don't believe Wren totally. Half the people in that organization feel that the Braves are rebuilding and the other half believe that they aren't. With the young players they have and then to potentially have 3 starters at or near the age of 40 just isn't smart and I don't think any of them are signed through more then one season.

While that starter might not be Ben Sheets, I do believe they have a direct need to get younger in the starting rotation, whether that is from within or from a trade.

I have my doubts about this rumor. First, Atlanta would have to sign Sheets to an extension, otherwise Atlanta would be giving up an awful lot for potentially only one year of Sheets. And the Braves doesn't spend money like Boston or New York. They were planning on bumbing up their payroll this year alone from 84 to 92 million and I think with the Glavine signing, they are either already around or above that 92 million mark. This was from their Web site,

"With this $8 million boost, which was aided by a rise in attendance, the Braves have the opportunity to sign Tom Glavine and take care of the raises owed to Tim Hudson, John Smoltz and Mark Teixeira. As an arbitration-eligible player, Teixeira could compensate for a majority of the $14 million salary that Jones was paid in 2007. There's a chance $2 million will be saved. The contract extension that Smoltz signed in April bumps his salary from $8 million to $14 million. Hudson's back-loaded contract calls for his salary to jump from $6 million to $13 million in 2008."

Second, Wren may be just doing GM talk, but it sounds like both Wren and Bobby Cox are happy with their rotation as they have 4 guys fighting for that last 5th spot as well.

Plus, they could be giving up a couple starters and I believe Soriano is the person they are planning on having as their closer. They might have people within the organization that could step up, but when you start adding it all together, it just seems unlikely.

It would be one heck of a deal if true, but I have my doubts.

Archived