Brewer Fanatic

Law on ESPNradio and one of my own...

Before I get to the Keith Law interview from ESPNradio I want to tell you about a rumor I heard from one of the few good personal contacts I have in the game. Now I am not claiming to be some sort of insider by any means just a few friends I have gotten to know from my travels in the game, so here is the rumor as I got it myself this morning and I will give to you as I got it.

Don't let the signing of Tom Glavine fool you, the Braves main goal this offseason is still to try to find a way to get Ben Sheets in the fold. At the GM meetings it was thought that Braves were willing to throw many top players to achieve this. When Frank Wren first approached Doug Melvin about the availability of Sheets, Melvin wanted Brian McCann, which is humorous but shows what kind of player Melvin wants for Sheets. After the meetings Wren and Melvin have continued to talk going as far as Wren giving Melvin a list of available players in which were available for Sheets. Wren has offered Jeff Francoeur and Rafael Soriano for Ben Sheets, which Melvin declined. Both Francoeur and Sheets want long-term extensions.

The current offer submitted was Sheets, Bill Hall, and a top Brewers prospect to the Braves for Francoeur, Soriano, Kelly Johnson (who would play OF), Blaine Boyer, and prospect (Melvin should ask for Tommy Hanson).

While I don't think this is the offer that will ultimately be agreed upon, I do believe Ben Sheets will be a member of that Atlanta pitching staff by the beginning of February.

I still feel that the Brewers need to trade Sheets to an American League team. I, for one, don't want to deal with Sheets more then once a year if not at all.

In the news from Keith Law.

The talks between the Brewers and Francisco Cordero are spinning in the mud. The good news for the Brewers is that they are still communicating but in the past few days there has been no progress made. If the Brewers and Cordero can't agree to terms real soon look for the Brewers to fall out of the pack to retain his services.

Before Jon Garland was traded to the Angels today the White Sox were trying to send Garland north to Milwaukee for Bill Hall but any and all attempts were rejected by Brewers GM Doug Melvin who wanted another piece to go along with Garland.

D-Ray's most pressing need right now is trying to find a taker for troubled outfielder Elijah Dukes. It is thought that the teams looking into the prospect are the Nationals, Pirates, and Padres with some possible inquiries from the Brewers and White Sox.

Many expect the Giants to be major players in the hot stove league. First move would to see what takers they could get for OF Randy Winn. No mention where but the Brewers were mentioned earlier.

The Mets are looking for pitching from any and everyone. The only name mentioned from the Brewers was Chris Capuano.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hall for Garland? Sheets for mc Cann? talks with cordero? continued talks with the braves?

at least it looks like melvin doesn't want to stand pat over the Winter. he's at least making inquiries.

or you might say other teams are phoning the brewers and want our players. which is also a good thing.

Wow! So my guess is that if this deal goes down, the outfield would consist of Francouer in right, Hart in center, and Kelly Johnson in left? I would take that, if I were DM. Maybe throwing in Gamel as the prospect on our side? As for Elijah Dukes, I hope DM stays far far far far far away from him. I'm thinking if they can pull this deal with the Braves, you've got your closer in Soriano and you can let CoCo go. Keep up the info madtown!

Johnson hitting second, and Francoeur hitting sixth makes me very happy - I see that as an upgrade both offensively and defensively. Soriano for the bullpen also makes me smile, that works a lot better for me than overpaying a guy who just happens to be at the end of his prior contract.

Overall, I really like the deal, but would the Brewers have enough starting pitching if it went down?

Wow, that would be huge. It would give the Brewers a good bullpen (although Boyer is just coming off shoulder surgery) and bring in two new outfielders? Crazy. They would still need to do something to acquire a starter though, because the rotation would be pretty weak. I still have a hard time believing the Brewers would trade Sheets without getting any MLB starting pitching back.

I'd rather put Kelly Johnson at third instead of the outfield though. And I wonder what would happen if Melvin just stood pat for McCann? Probably nothing. Heh.

Thanks for the scoop Madtown, but this part stands out to me as odd:

Wren has offered Jeff Francoeur and Rafael Soriano for Ben Sheets, which Melvin declined. Both Francoeur and Sheets want long-term extensions.

The current offer submitted was Sheets, Bill Hall, and a top Brewers prospect to the Braves for Francoeur, Soriano, Kelly Johnson (who would play OF), Blaine Boyer, and prospect (Melvin should ask for Tommy Hanson).

The Brewers declined Francoeur and Soriano for Sheets, but there is an offer that expands the deal to include Hall and a top prospect with Johnson, Boyer and a prospect coming from Atlanta? Hall alone would probably garner a deal close to Johnson, Boyer and a prospect, and the Brewers have to include a top prospect, meaning, if Francoeur and Soriano weren't enough to get Sheets, the rest of the names mentioned don't really seem to sweeten the deal that much more.

Although I would argue that Francoeur and Soriano may be close to landing Sheets. I know Francoeur's patience at the plate is questioned, but as several have pointed out in other threads, he did improve dramatically in that area last year, is a stud in RF, has a world of talent and is only 23 years old. My money is on him continuing to improve.

Francoeur and Soriano is indeed close to tempt me. Melvin might prefer Johnson/Soriano instead seeing that Johnson has on base skills, bats lefty and has less service time than Francoeur.

As for the bigger deal including Hall and Sheets, that might hinge on what Braves consider a "top Brewer prospect". That offer if true from Braves is a pretty good haul if you ask me. Sure the Brewers might need another starter somewhere, but think of the chips Melvin would have at his disposal to get one.

so let me get this straight, the Brewers give up an ace who you really cant rely on, a decent outfielder who didnt live up to expectations for a +reliever, younger Stud outfielder and a high ceiling guy who can play outfield or infield. You can sign me up for this one.

I dont discount what Madtown heard, but it's so similar to the deal that someone heard on the radio in So. Ill. that I dont think it has any merit. In todays media world, "rumors" seem to come from various places, when in reality they all come from some fan's message board posting about a mysterious radio station in Podunk, USA.

It reminds me of the Adam Dunn/BF.net/WSSP fiasco, where everyone was citing the other for validation on the rumor.

Finally, it seems the more players/prospects that are added to a rumor, the less likely it is to happen, especially when you are talking about multiple players from both teams.

The Brewers declined Francoeur and Soriano for Sheets, but there is an offer that expands the deal to include Hall and a top prospect with Johnson, Boyer and a prospect coming from Atlanta? Hall alone would probably garner a deal close to Johnson, Boyer and a prospect, and the Brewers have to include a top prospect, meaning, if Francoeur and Soriano weren't enough to get Sheets, the rest of the names mentioned don't really seem to sweeten the deal that much more.

I have to agree with this. Take out the "top prospect" from the Brewers and then you might have a deal. Hall for Johnson, Boyer and a prospect sounds fair, depending on the prospect. I know some will think that's overvaluing Hall, but that's only true if you think Hall's 2006 season was a fluke. So if that's fair, and the Brewers already turned down Francoeur and Soriano, then there's no way the Brewers can take this as is, let alone throwing in a top prospect.

If this report is true, then surely the offer came from the Braves and not the Brewers (perhaps I misread but I didn't see that specified above).

By the way, what's with the love for McCann? I think he's good, but he's not that good, is he? Does he call an amazing game or something? He doesn't throw out a lot of runners, and his numbers are better than Estrada's but not enough to make me want to insist on him as part of a deal for Sheets.

I like. Any possible way that we can get Soriano would be awesome. I dont necessarily like trading Sheets to an NL opponent though. To me a package of Soriano, Boyer, Francouer, and Johnson for Hall & Sheets is sufficient. No need for another prospect going to the Braves. Defense is instantly better and our offense is so good already would we really be regressing at all if we had a low OBP type? I for one would prefer the huge improvement in OF defense for perhaps at worst a small decline in OBP.

By the way, what's with the love for McCann? I think he's good, but he's not that good, is he? Does he call an amazing game or something? He doesn't throw out a lot of runners, and his numbers are better than Estrada's but not enough to make me want to insist on him as part of a deal for Sheets.

A 23 year old catcher who can put up a .900 OPS is insanely valuable.

A 23 year old catcher who can put up a .900 OPS is insanely valuable.

I get that. But his OPS last year was .772. The year before his big year it was .745 (granted, a smallish sample size) and he never came close to that in the minors either.

Still, I was suggesting that we shouldn't entirely dismiss Hall's 2006 with respect to trade value, so I suppose that I should give the same respect to McCann...

Archived