Brewer Fanatic

Preparing 40-man roster for Rule 5 -- RHPs Pena and Dillard, C Palmisano and SS Escobar added

Mass Haas

November 20th (Tuesday) is the deadline for teams to add players to their 40-man roster to protect them from Rule 5, so we should see many announcements on this front from around the majors today and tomorrow.

Back in October, we speculated about the Brewers in this thread on the minor league forum:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=7504

Speaking of Rule 5, who was the last Brewer to be chosen in the major league phase of the Rule 5? I don't know, it's been more than a decade, maybe two -- anybody?

Crabbe is a 2B/OF though. Unless he can play some SS, his value is rather limited.
True, although there are useful players in the majors with that limitation. Willie Harris comes to mind. I'm not saying he would be a great loss but still its nice to have the depth.

Anyone see any reason why Drew Anderson is still on the 40? He's currently behind Gross, Gwynn, Nix, and maybe even Brad Nelson for LH PH/OFs. He also had a pretty lousy year last year. I'd rather have Crabbe over Anderson.

Anyone see any reason why Drew Anderson is still on the 40? I'd rather have Crabbe over Anderson.

Me too. There is room for one more, isn't there? No need to cut ties with Anderson unless someone else needs to get protected.

There is room for one more, isn't there? No need to cut ties with Anderson unless someone else needs to get protected.

To remove Anderson you'd have to expose him to waivers...with Crabbe, even if he's taken in Rule 5, a team has to keep him on the roster all year to keep him. It could happen, but usually 2b are not Rule 5 targets...Fernando Vina is a notable exception.

There will be more shuffling of the 40-man roster this offseason. They have to make decisions on the bullpen (Aquino and McClung out of options, several BBQ lefties, possible FA or trade additions). Depending on the impending Kendall decision, they will likely clear out a catcher or two (Mike Rivera, Eric Munson, Estrada?) and choose a backup that complements the starter. They've got a lot of back end starters who might be moved (see every thread on the board). Finally, they have a surplus of bench-quality OF who can't and won't all stick (Nix out of options, Mench, Gross, Anderson, Gwynn, Nelson).

I haven't plugged in salaries or arbitration years for Eric Munson yet -- suggestions? I'm guessing near the minimum, but the arby years is tricky....
I suppose Eric gets a raise for spending most of 2007 on the major league roster. Is minimum wage going up? If it is, I suppose I'd plug in $475,000 to $500,000. (Sometime we should develop way to note which salaries are placeholders rather than actual salaries.)

Assuming Cots is correct, you can add 121 days of time to the number posted there (give or take a day), and come up with 4 years, 68 days of service for Eric. That kills any free agent eligibility until after 2009 at the earliest. He'd need to spend 266 days on a major league roster (again, give or take a day or two) to be eligible for free agency at that time.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I guess that depends on how other teams value Bray... or whether they feel production at the AAA Level outweighs the tools he has to work with on the Major League Level.

Seriously, isn't he 26 years old with supposedly B Grade stuff? Maybe a Moneyball-Crazy team really weak in the bullpen might take a flier on him, but he probably won't do more than garbage time.

Archived