Brewer Fanatic

Report -- Lowell Re-Signs w/Boston (Three Years)

Mass Haas

agreed Brett. This interests me, since I want to see what kind of ramifications there are when the aged, well past their prime players hit the (relative) ends of their contract years. Lowell may well be the first since the FA-outburst of spending started to hit the end of his deal.

I'm thinking Soriano/Lee at age 35-+-ish making gobs of money. I'm just curious to see what teams will think of spending such whopping amounts on older players. I don't know that I have any answer, but want to see what answer MLB owners create.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

agreed Brett. This interests me, since I want to see what kind of ramifications there are when the aged, well past their prime players hit the (relative) ends of their contract years. Lowell may well be the first since the FA-outburst of spending started to hit the end of his deal.

I'm thinking Soriano/Lee at age 35-+-ish making gobs of money. I'm just curious to see what teams will think of spending such whopping amounts on older players. I don't know that I have any answer, but want to see what answer MLB owners create.

When the Yankees have their 41 year old closer throwing to their 38 year old catcher would be my first guess when it hits.

Nice signing for Lowell who didn't get to the majors until he was 25! Many Jamesian's thinik a player who doesn't brake thru until they are 25 or later career will fade at age 31 or 32. Nice contract to get at age 34 for that type of player. I thought Boston had a Jamesian as a GM or is that a Jamesian theory that doesn't apply anymore?

There's this HGHian theory that using it will extend your productive years well into your 30s, fwiw

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

2live so true but I wonder if that is the only reason. Lowell definitely looks smaller and had a lot of opportunities to knock in runs with Boston last year. There are so many players who started at age 25 and played much longer than 31-32 who weren't on the juice most likely: Just to name a few:

Warren Spahn

Lou Pinella

Edgar Martinez

Moises Alou? (does pissing on hands count?)

Mark Loretta

Jamesian people were correct--until Lowell was traded to Boston. His final year plus in Florida was abysmal at age 30-31, just like James says. He had one of those rare career resurrections in Chowder-land, thanks to being surrounded by superstars and being given many many chances for RBIs.

Did Boston overpay? Perhaps. We'll see how he plays, I guess. Overall, I think it's a good signing.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived