Brewer Fanatic

Registering for a political party

aracko

Wisconsin has open primaries; you don't have to register with a particular party (like you do in most states). On primary day, you just have to either request one party's ballot....or only vote for candidates from one party, depending on the district.

In Wisconsin you don't have to register as a Republican or Democrat to vote in the primary.

Exactly -- when I lived in OR -- you would have to declare yourself "DEM" "GOP" or other -- and if you

were "other" you could not vote in primaries.

A lot of states have their primaries on different days (GOP on one day, DEM on the other) -- Wisconsin

doesn't so they can hand you one ballot.

Just make sure though you only vote in one primary -- otherwise your ballot gets junked.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is that so someone from one party couldn't sabotage the vote from the other party by voting for some fringe candidate? Seems kind of weird that if you are 'other' you can't vote - although I guess in that instance you could sabotage both parties.

I seem to recall having to vote either all republican or all democrat the last time I voted in a Wisco primary.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

As said before, you don't need to be registered in a party to vote in a primary. The only thing is when you vote, if both parties are listed on the same ballot, you can only vote for members of one party. So, the moment you place a vote for a candidate in party A, you cannot vote for someone in party B, or you ballot is void.

Is that so someone from one party couldn't sabotage the vote from the other party by voting for some fringe candidate?

Perhaps.

Although in its purest form a primary is not a general election -- it is designed to let all GOPs vote among themselves

who they want to represent their party. A primary's function is to allow a party to vote within itself -- not to elect

an official to a position.

In the last major primary there was only one real election for [poilitical party], but there were several for [other political party]. Even though I align more with [political party] I simply stated that I wanted to vote in [other political party]'s primary and then proceded to vote for the fringe candidates. But I'm actually Libertarian so I think both parties get it wrong.

Also, unlike a lot of states you may register at the poll on election day. If you bring a photo id (I might be wrong about the id) and two pieces of actual mail (re: bills and such. Not magaizines or other things addressed to resident) you may register right there and then vote. Also, in Wisconsin you may absentee vote before the election for whatever reason you want, they won't ask why. You could absentee vote just because you're too lazy to get up that Tuesday or if you're afraid you'll forget that day.

I hope that was apolitical enough for the site.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yeah, you can't pick and choose in a primary. I'd say it's a bit archaic, but no one seems real intent on changing it...that's why I never vote in the primary.

I guess I think they're important. I vote in them because it's a way to voice your opinion (though let's face it, it never gets heard in a major political party) if you don't like the direction your party is heading in regarding choosing their nominee. So, I will vote in the '08 primary for my candidate (that has no chance). I guess I think I've voted in every primary, even in gubernatorial elections. Also, in small-town politics, like in the area I live, it's pretty common to know someone running for an office, so you can vote for them in these primaries (or against them if you don't like them) if it's something like a town clerk or whatever.

I guess, though, if you're just going to vote for whomever your political party of choice's money machine has gotten behind or only care about what letter is next to a candidate's name, just forgo the primary and vote in the November election.

Only being able to vote for one party is a bit archaic, but I guess you have to do it so people don't try to sabotage the other party. That's too bad for moderates who often will vote Party A if X is the nominee, but will otherwise vote for Party B candidate Y.

There have been several times I've broken from party affiliation because the candidate of my regular affiliation was garbage, and it's too bad that if I know that party will offer me garbage, I can't at least try to influence the other party to nominate a candidate I'd vote for.

Yeah, you can't pick and choose in a primary. I'd say it's a bit archaic, but no one seems real intent on changing it...that's why I never vote in the primary.

I don't know that this is a good idea in all cases.

In some areas, that tend to be heavily GOP or DEM, the primary is the real election, as one party will not even field a candidate.

I think Idaho is a great example of this -- A senate seat in Idaho will be up for grabs in 2008 -- The DEMS have 0 shot at

grabbing this seat, (as Idaho is incredibly GOP). The GOP primary will be VERY heated, and then subsequently, the DEMs will offer up some sort of sacrificial lamb in

the general election.

I bet even in a lot of the local elections in WIS, like sheriff or the such, there are 2 candidates in the GOP primary and then that winner

runs unopposed in the general election

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What's that type of election where you rank your favorites 1,2,3 Kinda like a college football poll. Is that called a run off? That's what we should be doing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's that type of election where you rank your favorites 1,2,3 Kinda like a college football poll. Is that called a run off?

Yeah, sort of -- What you refer to is an instant run-off -- Australia Canada and the UK do this sort of thing. I think that a lot of larger cities have started to

implement it for their municipal votes -- San Fransisco and Minneapolis come to mind.

I know Louisiana has a multiple round run-off that they use to determine their primaries as well -- but I don't think it has the ranking.

Wisconsin is logical and has open primaries. I've made it a life's goal to never register for a political party.

Well it depends on how you view primaries -- Primaries exist for the party to select their candidate. If

you refuse to affiliate yourself with a party, or support a small party -- their is no need for you to participate

in a primary. (speaking purely theoretically)

For example -- Let's say that BF.net agreed with the SOSH, that each board would send one person to compete

in a Gymkata-type death race.

Bfnet members would campaign and debate about which member to send, as would the SOSH. Both then would

hold elections to determine who would represent their respective organizations.

A person from Northside would have no business participating in either vote, because they are not affiliated

with SOSH or BF.net.

Primaries exist for the party, not the public..

Certainly though there is a convenience factor involved with the way Wisconsin does their primaries though.

I for one like the way that Wisconsin handles the primaries. I am an independent. There is no way I could see myself register with either major political party. I have however twice voted for candidates from [major party x], and would vote for one of the candidates running for president if he would win his partys primary. Wisconsin allows me to show my support for ideas that the candidate I endorse, while still being able to maintain my alligiance to the 2-3 smaller partys I love.

I live in Illinois. We don't have "open primaries" but you don't register as a party member either. At primaries, you simply request which party ballot you want. Now that request is recorded but it doesn't preclude you from selecting a different party the next election cycle.

For example -- Let's say that BF.net agreed with the SOSH, that each board would send one person to compete

in a Gymkata-type death race.

Bfnet members would campaign and debate about which member to send, as would the SOSH. Both then would

hold elections to determine who would represent their respective organizations.

Would we have to grow mullets? Would there be flag ninjas to guide us through the course? And what about Thorg?

Archived