Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
Community Moderator

Not sure why this hasn't been in the news, but there's an ice storm warning for Milwaukee and south tomorrow morning. Although it shouldn't be as bad as what happened down in Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma this week. For the Madison area, expect 2-3 inches of snow/sleet.

from the NWS:

...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW LATE TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...

.A MIXTURE OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER
SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN AROUND 3 AM TONIGHT...THEN SPREAD QUICKLY
EAST. A LITTLE SNOW SHOULD MIX IN AS WELL. ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAY
REACH BETWEEN 1/4 AND 1/2 OF AN INCH IN THE FAR SOUTH AND
SOUTHEAST...GENERALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF A MILWAUKEE TO NORTH
PRAIRIE TO MONROE LINE. LESSER AMOUNTS OF ICE ARE EXPECTED TO THE
NORTH WHERE THERE SHOULD BE MORE OF A MIXTURE OF SNOW...SLEET AND
SOME FREEZING RAIN. A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ACROSS
WISCONSIN LATE TONIGHT AND TUESDAY DRAWING WARM AIR AND MOISTURE
INTO THE STATE. AT THE SAME TIME...A MID AND UPPER LEVEL
DISTURBANCE WILL TRACK ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND SOUTHERN
WISCONSIN. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All these closings, wow. It must be anticipatory or really bad elsewhere because here in Madison, I had no problem getting my daughter to school on time.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

All these closings, wow. It must be anticipatory or really bad elsewhere because here in Madison, I had no problem getting my daughter to school on time.

I agree on both counts (anticipatory and/or really bad elsewhere). If I were a school administrator nowadays, having to make my decision pretty darn early in the morning, I think I'd regularly lean toward erring on the side of safety - at least to reduce the inevitable second-guessing from parents and media.

Plus, ice is dicey, and despite the best efforts of obsessedwithbrewcrew and his weather colleagues, you can't pinpoint the exact snow/sleet/ice ratio for every place.

I'm home today (scheduled day off), so I think I'll do some gift wrapping.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know the Madison kids won't be home early. One of the online news channels interviewed a district talking head and he said that once the kids are in school, they won't release early because of the problems it would cause parents.

This guy said that they consult with Madison Metro (city buses) and the streets division when making determinations about closing schools. He went on to say he was out there driving this morning and didn't think it was bad at all.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Community Moderator

All snow here in Madison right now. I'm thinking it will probably stay mostly snow in the Madison area and mostly freezing rain and normal rain in Milwaukee for the next few hours.

This whole storm system has been a forecasting disaster, this was supposed to be Illinois' problem and everything moved farther north at the last minute so it wasn't really until about 9:00 last night that it started to look like there would be some major issues.

well, i took some pics, it is coming down really really good here in Lake Mills, here is the driveway shot from our garage:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/billyhallfan/Untitled.jpg

And this is from the front door, looking out in the front yard:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/billyhallfan/2.jpg

When I was a kid, I loved snow because of making snowmen, throwing snowballs, building snowforts and sledding. And of course, snow days. Now, as an adult, I see snow more as an annoyance. The shoveling, the driving, the lack of warmth. That's why I'm moving to Texas. NO SNOW!

I can't believe schools were closed today in the milwaukee metro area. I swear, we're less than 10 years away from just completely shutting down the entire city -- all government, business, commerce, and transportation -- anytime more than 2.5" of snow is forecasted to fall. As Wisconsinites, we should be much tougher than this. The wussification continues.....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Four wheel drive is a Godsend. I feel sorry for all those poor saps without it. Kinda like HDTV and DVR. If you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing.

Amen brother. To bad my tires are bald and I had to spend the money on brakes and wheel bearings instead of tires.

Archived