Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, ferrets fell. I got the walk and my 66 feet of sidewalk cleared. Heavy and wet, probably helped by the fact it is raining. At least my paper will be next to the door in the morning.

I also apologize to the Tosa officers who cruised my neighborhood after I set off M-80s in the snow. I am a lazy man and I was attempting to dynamite my way to a clear walk. Count yourselves lucky I ran out. I did singe a finger so karmically I have paid.

I'm watching the neighbors try to dig their plowed-in car out of the street. What a waun-a-mess.
I hiked to Qdoba for dinner tonight and pushed a few cars through some of the plowed-in intersections. This reminds me of December 1, 2006... are we caught in a time warp...?

Community Moderator

Well, despite warning everyone about the bad weather, my girlfriend and I decided to go shopping at East Towne tonight since I decided the roads were "not that bad" and the mall wouldn't be crowded. The reality was that nothing was plowed and the 3 inches of sleet was much more slippery than snow, which caused us to get stuck twice. In addition, we saw at least 30-40 other cars that were stuck. It felt as if we were off-roading because the sleet had compacted into a bumpy layer of ice and it was nearly impossible to get going if you stopped.

Also, I noticed that the cancellation of our solstice party made national news, as the Yahoo news story on the winter storm mentions us!

Alas, the only power failure was on the part of the Badgers; but that's another story.
sounded like a rough one last night. so much for the advantage of the regional in madison.

as for the weather, it was just real strange. from snow to painful freezing rain to summertime-like downpours. thank goodness for snowblowers or i might still be shoveling out the driveway

I look out my patio window and see slush and snow

Other lucky folks look and see this. Once my daughter gets older, views similar to that will replace the hell that is Wisconsin weather, especially winter. I won't need much else to be a happy camper.

http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/beach.jpg

It's Saturday December 1st, 1 p.m. My name is Backupcatchers, my dog's name is Gladys and it's snowing. Normally this is a time we enjoy. Playing in the worst of weather is a norm for us. We're frisbee addicts and we carry a disc. This time however is differant. My dog has an ACL injury and is out of action until at least midweek. She doesn't understand.

1:30 pm. the weather is getting worse. Gladys more antsy. She stares at me giving small ruffs and doing a little jig with her front feet.

2pm Galdys took to the back hallway whinning louder and more frequently. I gave her a perscription doggy downer.

2:30pm. The doggy downer has no effect. She walks behind me everywhere I go and makes sureI trip over her at least twince a minute. Perhaps this is her way of getting even for this missed opportunity.

3:30 pm. The snow has accumulated and the wind is picking up. Gladys spent the last 1/2 hour outside waiting patiently for me to come out and play. she's covered in snow and shows no signs of coming in.

4pm. Gladys somehow found a lost toy outside and brought it in for me to throw. It's an old chew bone with sharp edges. I found it only after I stepped on it without shoes on.

5pm. it's dark out and Gladys has taken to the backyard again with no signs of caring if she lives or dies. Snow getting deeper. I'm not doing much better myself. Faking throwing a disc looking for any reaosn to think a little excercise is good for a spained ACL. Heck ice is good for injuries and there is plenty of that now. Why not think God ordained this snow just for us? Then reality sets in. I realize surgery to reattach a torn ACL would put us out of action longer. I take a perscription doggy downer.

5:30 pm the doggy downer has no effect on my frazzled nerves either. Gladys refuses to eat dinner. So do I. I try to distract her by doign other games with her. Sit, stay, do the laundry, ect has no effect. She barely acknowledges my attempts and will not eat the treats.

7pm we take a walk in the snow just to burn off some of the energy.

7:15pm Gladys doesn't get why we are back in the house already without even so much as one throw.

7:30pm another Doggy downer for her and a glass of wine for me.

8pm. it didn't help either of us.

9pm. we go out and throw the small disc three times. Her tail wags. My tail is curiously quiet. probably due to the fear that I'm a bad owner and risking my dogs well being.

9:05pm. We stop before I regret my actions. I go inside. She takes up the normal spot just ouside the doggy door.

9:30pm Gladys comes in wet and spends the rest of the evening sitting right in front of me ears straight up, occasionally givng me the low murmer of a seroiusly discontented dog. Her tail wags with every small move I make. I end up trying to remain completely motionless.

12am. I go to bed and Gladys goes to the back porch and yipes and whines.

12:30am I come downstairs to yell at her to shut up. I hear he running to her bed. I get to the bottom of the stairs and she is in her bed looking at me as though she'd just been woken up and has been there the whole evening.

1am repeat 12:30am routine.

2am repeat

3am. locked her in the back porch.

3:30ish am I fell asleep and the long nightmare of a day ends.

This is the worst snowstorm ever.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I was stunned to head to Woodman's tonight and find that they were out of whole sections of food.

Not sure if it was trucks not arriving due to the storm, employees not arriving to re-stock shelves, or a lot of people preparing for the weather apocalypse, or a little from all of the above.

I lost my front license plate on the beltline saturday night...somewhere between stoughton road and John Nolen going westbound...if anyone finds it, I'd like it back http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .....this ice/snow sucks...walking to class is terrible...every single sidewalk/stair/road is a solid sheet of ice...I saw 13 people (yes, I counted) biff it during my travels to class today...some pretty hard falls too...a few people bit the dust going down stairs, ouch! I almost bought the farm myself a few times, but all my exploits during ice fishing have given me enough balance to not completely topple over ....it doesn't help when you're in a hurry either, and every single girl is moving about a mile an hour, frustrating!

Going off of Brewbadger isn't it embarassing when you take a tumble on the ice on the sidewalk? I've done that a few times. How does everybody handle it? I act as if nothing happened and if people look at me knowing what happened I laugh it off.

in north carolina now. i miss the snow, i only get a half hour of it once a year where i am, and it doesn't stay. granted, i don't miss the extreme length of winter. "winter" doesn't really exist here, i don't wear anything more than a long-sleeve jacket. 20=freezing here. ok, maybe i shouldn't have told you all that.

Sidewalk salt is nowhere to be found at any local store.

You know what I use on my driveway is water softener pellets, rather than sidewalk salt. That really breaks up the ice well, especially after you drive your car up and down over the pellets -- its cheaper than sidewalk salt, and people never buy all of it out.

The sucky part of all of this was that I was in San Antonio this weekend when all this happened. Sunday, it was almost 80 and beautiful. Thankfully, in about 7 weeks, I'll be moving down there. Sadly, I have to put up with the next 7 weeks of Wisconsin. I really don't like snow/ice. I like sun and warm better.

You know what I use on my driveway is water softener pellets, rather than sidewalk salt. That really breaks up the ice well, especially after you drive your car up and down over the pellets -- its cheaper than sidewalk salt, and people never buy all of it out.

Maybe I should just make my driveway OUT OF salt.

I'm getting the hell out of this state at my first opportunity.

Archived