Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the 10-day Oshkosh forecast, it doesnt look good. The next 3 days temps are anywhere between 5-15 below normal. Then we hit a "warm" stretch where temps rise to *gasp* normal, or rather just 1-3 degrees below normal, then the next three days temps go back to 10-12 degress below normal.

Seriously? It is almost April.

Where are you reading this RyDogg? I don't see anything under 25 degrees for the next 10 days in Oshkosh, and Wednesday the high is 39. Is that seriously that far below normal?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

obsessed, I'd like to order up two consecutive breezy days in the 50s when I can be in Milwaukee about 10 days from now. On my dad's garage floor, there's a layer of black crud that's fallen off of cars. I'd love to be able to mop it up and have the floor dry without worrying about any freezing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator

The normal high is now 39 in Madison and Milwaukee. Thus, today is 15-20 degrees below normal.

Next week Tuesday and Wednesday will be above, but the rest of the week should be at or below normal still.

The following week has a forecast of below normal temperatures and above normal precipitation (what else is new). This is due to a major storm system that sets up around March 18-19. This does not necessarily mean a snowstorm, since by then the normal high will be 42-44. There's no way to accurately forecast that far in advance, but I don't really care since I'll be in New Orleans that week where the forecast is 75 and sunny. So...good luck with that weather system ;-)

Where are you reading this RyDogg? I don't see anything under 25 degrees for the next 10 days in Oshkosh, and Wednesday the high is 39. Is that seriously that far below normal?
Weather.com's 10 day forecast. I think the best they do for Oshkosh is 37 or so, which I believe is still a tick or two below normal, then it is back to the high 20s for March 15, 16 or so.

(edit: nested quote --1992)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I was hoping to be done with this thread but alas that is not the case. I just checked out the forecast discussion link on noaa.gov and they are making mention of the possibility of several inches of snow for the Milwaukee area for Thursday and into Friday. Weatherman, if you are back from New Orleans I'd be interested to know if this forecast is accurate and I should go and get some gas for the snowblower. It seems that the last few times that I have checked out noaa.gov the 7 day forecast for snow has been pretty accurate.

I think obsessedwithbrewcrew is still on spring break. In the meantime, maybe the National Weather Service's website can give you some guidance.

Here is what their Winter Storm Watch statement said as of Wednesday evening:

A LATE SEASON WINTER STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO TRACK ACROSS

NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ILLINOIS FRIDAY. THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

WILL LIKELY PRODUCE FROM 4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION ALONG

AND SOUTH OF A WISCONSIN DELLS...BEAVER DAM...TO CEDARBURG LINE.

THE HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE NEAR THE ILLINOIS

BORDER.

THE EXPECTED TRACK OF THIS STORM SYSTEM MAY SHIFT EITHER NORTH OR

SOUTH WITH SUBSEQUENT NUMERICAL MODEL RUNS. IN WHICH CASE...THE

BAND OF HEAVIER SNOW MAY ALSO HAVE TO BE ADJUSTED.

High temperatures over the next few days are supposed to be above freezing, which makes me think that whatever snow falls won't stay long, and might not even stick much.

I'm no weatherman, but the website for the southern Wisconsin National Weather Service office has a ton of useful information.

(OWBC, you now owe me a cookie.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, I guess don't copy and paste from the NWS to here.

I was going to ask for an ice cream sundae, but thought I should keep my asking price low until we see how the storm actually plays out.

You know, I'm starting to root for the 100 inch mark in Madison. Come on, 8 more inches!

On a side note, my wife and I "escaped" Wisconsin last week to Arizona. We thought we were escaping snow. Well, we didn't. We were in Sedona over the weekend, and they had their highest snowfall of the year. It was only a few inches, but still. Winter was everywhere this year, I guess.

You know, I'm starting to root for the 100 inch mark in Madison. Come on, 8 more inches!

That's the spirit!

At first I thought I'd be content with a new snowfall record, which Madison passed a month ago. Then I was talking to our neighbor while we were both shoveling (which has happened a lot these last few months). He was saying 'go for triple digits' as soon as we passed 76.1. And I figured, why not? If we use the winter of 2007-2008 as a source of survival-style pride in the future, bragging about handling 100 inches just sounds more impressive than, say, 95.6.

If Madison reaches the century mark, though, I promise I'll be ready for it to stop. (I had to promise. My office mates think I'm crazy to hope for it.)

I started my indoor seed station. I have a bunch of plants in the germination phase right now. Seeing progress -indoors- with my plants and garden needs, I was outside today kinda looking over my raised beds. I was really hoping to put some plastic tarps down over the beds to heat the soil quicker. It would be quite difficult however, to make any progress with a few inches of snow on the tarps. I have to wait. More snow.

Winter keeps taunting us.

More show.

I need a tissue, for I am starting to cry.

Seriously though-

I wonder if this late (although not unusual) snow fall on the way will cause some people depression problems. This has been a long winter and with the small break we've been having, people have been getting outside. It's not like we're going to get 2 feet of snow, but I'm still curious as to the effect this may have on mental health.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Seriously though-

I wonder if this late (although not unusual) snow fall on the way will cause some people depression problems. This has been a long winter and with the small break we've been having, people have been getting outside. It's not like we're going to get 2 feet of snow, but I'm still curious as to the effect this may have on mental health.

Remember that little warmup for a few days in January? I noticed that my mood was especially good and my anxiety level surprisingly low - I mean, noticeably better than it had been in a while. That was generally not the case when the snow was falling heavily (though I also had a cold then).

So I think Jamie's got a valid point. I'm not too worried about the affect this Friday storm will have on me; it's too close to baseball for that. Maybe if too much snow falls on March 29 for us to be able to attend the exhibition game to which we have sweet, sweet tickets.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am sick of:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I want the snow to stay away. I want the ball fields and golf courses to dry up so I can go play on them

I hear that, I can't wait to hit the links and start getting ready for softball.

I dunno what to think of this storm. I have heard 4-8, 5-10, 5-7, 3-6 and 8-14 for accumulation totals for here in the West Bend area. With all the difference I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with like 1-2 or over 15. It's crazy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm guessing that the near west side and campus areas of Madison had about an inch on the ground a half hour ago when I took the bus to work.

Now it's hard to see across Library Mall. Small flakes, but in large quantities.

Edit: And someone in our hallway is whistling "Let it Snow."

Since obssessed isn't around right now, I guess it's up to the other brewerfan weatherman to take over the updates, this storm is one that is going to bullseye right on Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha and looks like at least a good 10 inches there. however, it is a relatively narrow band that is cruising through, so amounts to the north and south should decrease fairly rapidly, 3-6 inches in fondy and northern illinois, perhaps only a dusting by Green Bay. Madison certainly looks like they could get their 100. The good news is that the arctic is warming up a bit, and we should be back above freezing by tomorrow and stay that way through next week, so hopefully the snow won't last long. The unfortunate thing about the snow is that snowcover keeps the temps down, so it will be a slow warmup while it melts

Archived