Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Down here in Janesville it was originally forecasted as 8 to 12. Then it was downgraded to rain overnight, 5 to 8. Then it rained most of the night, and most of the morning, and it was "rain most of the early afternoon, 2 to 4 when it changes to snow. It rained most of the day, and we got less than an inch of snow, but the pooling of water on the streets is crazy, and now those huge puddles and ponds are freezing over. With all the snow on the ground and street from that huge storm 2 weeks ago, there was no place for the rain to go, and now there's a gigantic mess out there. Driving down my road (which never got plowed, then melted, turned to slush, got rained on) is like driving down a lane piled 6" high with bits of broken glass now that it's freezing cold outside.

The two shrubs outside my patio door are caked in ice.

And this morning, RIP shrubs. The weight was too much, apparently.

I have 2 large evergreen shrub/bushes in front of my bay window that were piled high with snow which had melted and packed pretty solid. When it was freezing rain yesterday morning I noticed the one was starting to lean a bit, so I got out there with a shovel and got all the piled snow and ice off it, and it sprung back ok. I'm glad I did, or I'm certain it would have given in.

On a side note, when we bought this place a year ago, there was about an 8' tall evergreen tree/shrub type deal that was right in front of the front porch, blocking the view of the door, and I mentioned the day we moved in "I think I'll take that out of there and plant something smaller that won't block view of the door". I think it was 4-5 days later when we got a pretty significant ice storm, and I came out the next morning, and the one I wanted rid of was bent right over to the ground, with the trunk split and cracked.

I got out there with a shovel and got all the piled snow and ice off it, and it sprung back ok. I'm glad I did, or I'm certain it would have given in.

Yeah, I went out today but it was too late. My efforts to clear snow just ended up with me breaking off frozen branches.

9 degrees, 25 mph winds out of the west, cloudy; another beautiful day http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif ...below zero again tonight and not supposed to break 12 degrees again until Thursday...forecast for the weekend is mid 30's! There is a glimmer of hope for the future, hooray.

Lord is it cold out. I feel bad for the people here in Chicago that parked their cars in big ole puddles last night. Those cars are stuck until a thaw (or a jackhammer) comes through.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The two shrubs outside my patio door are caked in ice.

And this morning, RIP shrubs. The weight was too much, apparently.

My 'shrubs' are hangin in there. Although it is pretty overcast today. We might get a little rain tomorrow!

And yeah, my grass sucks. It's a work in progress.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2828/backyardno6.jpg

My entire driveway is a solid sheet of ice.

I took my daughter to school today and trying to get her into the building, we had to cross the playground which was in all honesty at that point, a hockey rink. It was very dangerous and very, very slippery.

I'm looking forward to sometime in June durning a night game for the Brewers when I look back at this thread and shake my head.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Hmm, lets see here. Snow, wind, cold. Repeat. Snow, wind, cold. Repeat. It looks like Monday could be the "Snow" portion of that cycle again. Man, I can't wait for this stuff to melt!!

On a brighter note: At least the lake levels will be helped due to all of the melting snow...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

It looks like Monday could be the "Snow" portion of that cycle again. Man, I can't wait for this stuff to melt!!

Monday is my birthday, so I fully expect snow. If you Wisconsinites remember last year's big Sunday blizzard, that was my birthday too. Nothing to do except shovel and watch Wisconsin just miss out vs. OSU.

And not to be a downer, but as nice as it'll be to have less snow someday, we should all probably hope for a slow warming trend. Otherwise those "lake levels" will be in everyone's yards and basements.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It has to start getting warmer at some point right? Right?!

This winter has sucked a lot more than the previous 10 combined. Let it end!

No kidding! Well its early but the 10 day forecast for the West Bend area has no snow in it. That is wuite refreshing.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

No kidding! Well its early but the 10 day forecast for the West Bend area has no snow in it. That is wuite refreshing.

Oh I just looked at the 10 day. 30 degrees or higher for two days in a row. Is that possible?

Archived