Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
OWBC...All I ask is that you apply your forecasting skills for good and not just evil deeds. For instance, the second one of your long range models tells us that it is going to be above 40 degrees for an extended period you best be making a B-Line for the Winter is back thread on brewerfan.net.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the book "A Children's Blizzard" and you get an idea of what the National Weather Service was like at its inception in the 19th century. Some of the base technology they relied on hasn't changed much: Barometer, thermometer, and so on. Sure, they have gone digital, but the idea is still the same. The reason most places didn't keep weather records prior to the 1860s was the reliability of the tech. I think we may have become more precise, but those 140 year old measurements are pretty on.

For those of you who don't know, a book is words printed on paper bound together http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Community Moderator

I'm not really up on the history of weather forecasting. However, it is true that measurements have been more or less accurate well back into the 1860s and that everything needed to make a weather forecast comes from Newton's laws. The idea for numerical weather models was actually thought of long before computers, in 1922 by Lewis Fry Richardson. Instead of a mechanical computer, he imagined a scenario where hundreds of people worked together to do the calculations by hand. Satellites dramatically improved things as well, of course.

As for this storm, Milwaukee is lucking out and will probably see less than 4" of snow. Northwest of a Madison to Sheboygan line could see 8-12". There is still lots of uncertainly, as seen by the fact that the Winter Storm Watch hasn't been upgraded to a Warning yet.

Another thing, the NWS has put out an awesome explanation on why it is snowing so much this season, thus scientifically proving that it isn't my fault

Hawing, that title is amazing, I love it!

RyDogg66[/b]]Oshkosh is bearing down for 8-12 tomorrow. I dont know where I am going to put it.

I agree. I have piles that are 7 feet tall on both sides of the driveway and am not real keen on adding another couple of feet to the tops of them...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Same problem here in SP. If it wasn't for the space from the sidewalk to the curb it'd be impossible backing out of my driveway. The pile where the sidewalk meets the driveway is a good 6 and a half feet high right now.

So is Madison and Milwaukee missing the worst of this one?

So is Madison and Milwaukee missing the worst of this one?

If by "missing" you mean getting 5-12" (in the latest online forecast), yeah, Madison is missing it.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

From WISC3:

(Meteorologist) Swanson said that by Sunday, the mixed precipitation will gradually change over to all snow, with the heaviest snowfall amounts occurring from late morning into the evening. Snow accumulations of 5 inches to 12 inches or more are possible by Sunday night. Blowing and drifting snow is possible by the evening.

From madison.com:

In the interest of fan safety and on the advice of local weather professionals, Wisconsin Men's Hockey Skate with the Badgers and the Bucky's Buddies Women's Hockey Skills Clinic scheduled for Sunday, February 17 have been cancelled due to the forecasted hazardous winter storm conditions.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Well, I hear what appears to be rain hitting the window next to my computer....here we go.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Yep, it's definitely freezing rain. Just confirmed from a friend out driving, very slippery.

Yep, it's definitely freezing rain. Just confirmed from a friend out driving, very slippery.

Yup that is what Im hearing very slippery out there. Im working an overnight at the radio station I work at and people are telling me it is brutal out there in the Milwaukee area.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

In my bit of Madison, there's a visible glaze of ice on tree branches (some of which are bending already) and surfaces in general. Madison Metro decided at 8:30 AM to stop attempting to offer bus service. And the forecast suggests the change to snow is yet to come.

So while Dane County is not in the blizzard warning area like a chunk of southwest Wisconsin is, I'm not convinced that Madison is missing the worst of this one.

Your winter of 2007-2008: If you aren't slammed one way, Mother Nature will find another.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I just picked up an 80 pound bag of Calcium Chloride before the store inevitably runs out later on.

Oh well... if there's a plus to this, your hair does end up being 'rainwater fresh' after a trip outside.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

On my drive home from work this morning from Menomonee Falls to West Bend I was going a maximum of 40 MPH on the highway. It was nasty pure ice. Then when I got home and let my dogs outside I almost fell on my butt about 6 times. They could also hardly walk.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Community Moderator

Just went outside in Madison.

Looks like just plain rain here right now, there are giant puddles of ice and slush everywhere. Nasty.

Madison is just barely in the rain area, temperature of 33 degrees. It is snowing even in Western and Northern Dane County. However, the rain/snow line is moving really slowly to the East. The longer it takes, the less snow Madison will get. I think it will probably only be 4-6". Milwaukee will only get 1-2", as the temperature has climbed to 40 degrees already.

Very close miss on this one, but I don't think anyone is complaining, up to a foot of snow likely in Green Bay and the Dells.

Archived