Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are absolutly no redeeming qualities about Winter to me at all. I will take 90 degree weather over 20 degree weather any day.
I completely agree with this. I'd rather be sunburnt and drenched with sweat on a hot summer day than scraping off my car on a cold winter day.

Everytime I hear somebody complain about the weather, I just shake my head. For those of you that don't like winter, my suggestion is to embrace it. Face it, you live in Wisconsin, so you might as well get used to it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm proud of the fact that I live in a cold weather state. It's one of the things that make Wisconsinites unique. My favorite thing is when people from warm weather climates come to Wisconsin and say things like, "Aren't you cold?" when I'm standing outside with a sweatshirt on and they're bundled up like the Michellin Man.

I love snow. I love snowstorms. I actually enjoy shoveling snow. This time of year, it's all about getting outside and doing stuff. I'm not a huge fan of icefishing, but I still go because it gets me out of the house. I really enjoy skiiing and snowmobiling, but I don't get the opportunity to go very much anymore.

The biggest problem with winter is it causes people to get complacent, which causes them to get cabin fever. If you just accept the fact that it's going to be cold for the next six months, you will realize that it's not that bad after all. So my advice to everybody is, enjoy it!

The greatest day on campus in Madison was always that first time (usually in October) when it was sunny out, but like 34 degrees instead of 60. Watching all the west coast transplants walk outside and immediately run back inside or show up in class half-blue from the cold.

Ahh... good times.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

The West Coast people in Madison were already complaining on a day when it was 50 degrees and sunny back in October. I hear it all the time and it is a shame that people don't enjoy winter more, because although I'd rather not deal with cold below 20F, winter storms are lots of fun.

As for the weather, look for 3-6 inches of snow/sleet on Saturday afternoon, with a changeover to freezing rain (yuck) from south to north during the late afternoon, and then all rain before midnight. It's still 2 days off so the amounts could change, and there will obviously be amounts closer to 6 inches to the north of Milwaukee/Madison where it will change to rain later. It should be fun, the snow is going to hit quickly and thundersnow isn't out of the question, which is definitely my favorite type of weather.

Everytime I hear somebody complain about the weather, I just shake my head. For those of you that don't like winter, my suggestion is to embrace it.
I'm 41 and have lived in WI my entire life. I will never get use to or "embrace" winter. It's cold, dark, and miserable and there is no other way to describe it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

There are people on the Madison campus who wear Ugg boots in warm weather. I can't say I get that.

I might be the quintessential four seasons person. By the end of each season I seem to be about ready for the next one, and I take a small degree of pride in being able to (more or less) handle multiple types of extreme weather. I think it would mess me up to move out of a four-seasons climate.

Despite that declaration, if I have to choose an extreme I'd rather be cold (I can always bundle up) than hot; and humidity really wilts me. That spring training trip we took last March was pretty sweet. I was comfortable the whole time amid dewpoints in the teens.

Back to the shorter-term weather: thundersnow is neat. (as long as no one is actually struck by the lightning)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If the chance to use a snowblower isn't enough to make you like winter you aren't a real man.

Sincerly the burly, flannel wearing, hairy backed he man's club.

p.s. I was going to use a smiley dude but I figured that would sort of contradict the post's message.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I like winter too. I couldn't imagine living in Florida or southern California or anything like that. When I think Christmas and Thanksgiving I want snow, I've grown up with that my whole life and I'm used to it. I know shoveling sucks and I wouldn't miss that but after that it's just fun to goof around in the snow (is it immature for a 20 year old to have snowball fights?)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I lived in AZ for four years. I really like it the first two or three but then I missed grass and trees and seasons. People become high maintenance when there's no bad weather to complain about.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Everytime I hear somebody complain about the weather, I just shake my head. For those of you that don't like winter, my suggestion is to embrace it.
I'm 41 and have lived in WI my entire life. I will never get use to or "embrace" winter. It's cold, dark, and miserable and there is no other way to describe it.

I'm with you

I was born in California and lived there for awhile, but my parents moved back here when i was a kid. During my kid years and teens, i enjoyed snow and winter, the cold didn't phase me at all.

Now even fall gets on my nerves, winter is flat out depressing. My mom lived in Arizona for awhile, i loved visiting her in October and it would be 85 degrees. Blazing how sun hitting my body never gets old for me. The only time i like winter is on Christmas day, celebrating Christmas in shorts would just be to weird. Other than that, i'd be thrilled if it was 80-85 and sunny every day f my life.

I've been wanting to move for about five years, but my daughter lives here in Milwaukee, i live 5 minutes away from her. Once she turns 18-19 though, i'm heading somewhere that winter for the people is 50 degrees.

I kind of hope this storm tracks a bit south of where it is projected, so we avoid the sleet/ice. I'd rather have another inch or 2 of snow than to have a half of inch of ice. Even if it rains, like they say it will, the temp isn't supposed to be that much above freezing, so it won't do much to melt the ice. Besides, the rest of next week is supposed to be below freezing, so that will totally add to the mess...

Big sale on tires at Farm and Fleet. Please guys dont drive on worn tires in the winter. Its no less dangerous than having a few shots of Jack and driving. You could kill yourself or even worse some innocent family.

Yeah, you don't want to drive on 1/2" of ice, or have that much on the electrical wires outside your home. It doesn't take much ice to wreak at least as much havoc as a lot of snow.

And bear in mind that if the forecast for Fondy is 1/2", it could be thicker to the south.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

The page with the storm info can be found HERE.

The ice is clearly the biggest concern with this and it looks like it's coming. 1/4 to 1/2" of ice is troublesome, but it shouldn't be enough to cause widespread power outages. There is still the potential for the storm to move farther north/south, which would change the snow/ice amounts.

I'll give an update tomorrow morning, but I'm not expecting any drastic changes, the forecast hasn't changed much over the last few days.

Community Moderator

I honestly don't know forecasting well enough to tell you for sure. Ice is extremely difficult to forecast, and in this case, the question is how long the cold air will stick around before the warm takes it over.

I can tell you this:

Ice is expected across all of Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. The forecast is for 2-7 inches of snow and 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice. The higher snow amounts will be north of I-94 (closer to 7") and the higher ice amounts will be south of I-94 (closer to 1/2"). The models are in fairly close agreement and they have been for a few days, but they have been slowly trending the Low farther north, so that would be that there is a possiblity of less snow and more ice/rain than the current forecast. Lake Michigan is still over 40F, so if you live along the lake, the impacts will be less. Timing will be snow starting late morning on Saturday, sleet mixing in from 4-7 PM, freezing rain from 7-10 PM, and all rain after that.

This forecast will almost certainly change by tomorrow night, but the general trends will probably stay the same.

Archived