Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sucks to be y'all.....have fun shovelling. I'll go put on my shorts and enjoy the cool down to a high of 64 tomorrow.

So it took you like 7 hours to pick up the Texas accent? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

According to the WTMJ closings page, some school districts have already packed it in and cancelled school for Wednesday. The WISC closings page in Madison has nothing yet, but that's presumably a matter of time.

I stayed home Tuesday with a cold. If my office mate has to stay home with his kid tomorrow, I'll have to go in. I think I could get through it all right, but I'd prefer to stay in the house. I'd be tempted to say that Madison schools close so rarely, but they did just last Wednesday.

I'm not the sun worshipper that danzig is, but I'm getting weary of this. As soon as Madison sets a new season snowfall record (less than 16 inches to go, before this storm!), I want this crap to stop.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

The storm has been taking its time unfolding, so I think the light snow will go for awhile and not until the early morning hours will it really get going.

I will also add that although not stated in the forecasts, I am suspicious that the large thunderstorm complex over the center of the country is stealing moisture before it can make it all the way to Wisconsin. It will definitely pick up tomorrow and Milwaukee will get at least 10", but it's hard to see where the 20" totals are coming from.

My wife is chomping at the bit to have a day off tomorrow because of the snow, but the way things are right now, I don't see it happening. It's not even snowing right now. I can't see how we are getting blasted with 20" either.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Community Moderator

I just looked at the new model run--I think the majority of the snow will fall during the day tomorrow. The heaviest stuff will probably be getting into Milwaukee around 5-7 AM and going until as late as 7 PM. At 1" per hour over that time frame, there's your foot of snow. The really heavy snow is still in Kansas right now.

20" though...I still need to see it to believe it, we've never gotten any more than 15" in one storm in the 16 years that I've been in Wisconsin.

Either way, with tomorrow getting the brunt of the snow I'd have to say that 20" of snow is improbable. It would probably have to be coming down pretty heavily right now and last until tomorrow afternoon of evening for such a substancial amount.

City of Milwaukee has just declared a snow emergency for tonight lasting until 6am Wednesday.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Sucks to be y'all.....have fun shovelling. I'll go put on my shorts and enjoy the cool down to a high of 64 tomorrow.
So it took you like 7 hours to pick up the Texas accent? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

When there's no snow and it's warm, I'll pick up the accent right quick.

Community Moderator

Yet another update: there will be a brief break in the snowfall, but the snow is starting to become more widespread over Iowa now, so maybe by midnight in SW Wisconsin things will get going again.

Radar link

You can also see the moisture getting pulled up from about Houston, TX through southern Iowa. To me, that is a good sign that the snow will pick up overnight.

You can also see the moisture getting pulled up from about Houston, TX through southern Iowa. To me, that is a good sign that the snow will pick up overnight.
oh yeah, you can totally see how the moisture from Houston, TX and through Iowa is going to give us snow in WI. any idiot can see thathttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

no wonder predicting weather is hard

Well, I woke up at 3:45am just to help my dad shovel and get rid of the snow in the driveway, etc. During snowy days, I just shovel the sidewalks and the steps and porch and my dad finishes it off with the snowblower. I just fine tune all the concrete stuff with the shovel. My brother is a teacher at Racine Unified School District and this is like the sixth or seventh weather closing day of the year, probably a record. I wish I was a student at Unified during this winter season, I remember when I was a student, they hardly ever closed schools when I was a student.

Community Moderator
Looks like the storm is really just getting going now. Everything was delayed about 6 hours from earlier forecasts, but it is still coming and it will snow all day, especially in the Milwaukee area. There have also been some reports of thundersnow in Iowa, so that is where the really heavy snow is. That will make its way into southern Wisconsin eventually.

Madison schools closed for the second consecutive Wednesday. I don't think Madison has ever had two snow days in one year, let alone one week. I think they've had about 4 closings in 15 years.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

What is the record amount of snowfall for a winter season for the Milwaukee area? I would think it would be from the 70's or 80's because weird weather seemed to happen during those days. I remember when I was like five years old or something and it snowed constantly for a couple week stretch.

Yeah, burnie, this is weird for Madison. The school district spokesman said on the radio this morning they decided to close in anticipation of the brunt of the storm still coming. Like a number of you, I don't recall this type of caution being practiced when I was a K-12 student.

I stayed home again because my cold has not improved and going outdoors would seem to just invite trouble. I did see a Metro bus go by my usual stop, a block away from our house, and it was only 4 minutes past the usual time (unless it was the previous bus, which would have made it about 20-25 minutes late). It was hard to see the bus, so that would make visibility not much better than one block. I have no idea how much has fallen here - it's harder to tell when it's all going sideways.

As for Milwaukee snowfall records, here's a graph from the state climatology office. It looks like there was a crazy 110-inch spike in the 19th century, and if that's the record, I hope for everyone's sake that it is never topped. Madison's record season snowfall is 76.1 inches from 1978-79. I think that will be a goner this season (though probably not quite today). Here's the graph for Madison.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I am still waiting to see this "heavy" snow here in Milwaukee. I live/work downtown, and have been watching the radar all morning, and it seems whenever the snow gets north of Racine, it goes away? OWBC, why is this, and will our snow pick up!?

Archived