Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OWBC -

I have a question. I commute every day back and forth from Oshkosh to Milwaukee. I usually work from home one day a week. Would it be better to work from home on Tuesday or Wednesday, for the purpose of avoiding terrible to bad driving conditions?

Thanks.

I hate this winter.

yikes. you guys are really getting pounded this year. i sure do miss the general Wisconsin culture, but definitely not the winters. had to scrape off the light frost on my car this morning in North Carolina, and even this i've had enough with. the days hitting low 50's, so in a month or so we'll be at nice, warm spring weather. now granted, you'll all be laughing this August when we have our three straight months of 90+ temperatures. people stare at me when i can comfortably wear shorts in this kind of weather, but i know you all understand.

Community Moderator

Tomorrow is probably the best day to stay home. Don't be deceived when it's 40 degrees and raining in the morning. The afternoon commute is going to be bad.

It will still be cold and windy with some blowing snow on Wednesday, but at least it won't be falling from the sky.

If what they predict comes to be, we are looking at about a 45 degree temperature swing in about 12 hours. Nothing good ever ever ever comes from that.

Maybe I will be "sick" and have to miss some work. I hate driving in bad weather, not because I can't handle it, because everyone on the road seems to suck at it

According to one Madison station, temps are currently dropping 5-10 degrees an hour, and the back end of this front has already pushed Minneapolis down into the single digits and N. Dakota has wind chills of -45.

Oh how fun.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Currently in Milwaukee it is 45, with the overnight low forecast to be 0. A 45 degree temp drop within 24 hours is plain insanity.

I remember in 6th grade science we were studying weather at the time and my teacher said something like "If you see the temperature in a 24 hour forecast 20 degrees apart ignore it because that's impossible."http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

One April night at Miller Park (2004 or '05, I think), the temperature at game time (7 PM) was in the low 80s; then the big front came through. When the roof is open we can see the temperature tower downtown from our seats, so I kept checking; it was 50 degrees just before the roof was closed, prior to 8:00 PM. So that was at least 30 degrees in under 60 minutes.

Yeah, I digress, but remember back when 50 degrees was cold?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm at work in Eau Claire, about 25 miles from home. I would say we are in the storm sweet spot at the moment. It's been near whiteout here for a couple of hours. I'm watching for a slight break so I can make the hour plus drive home.

Any minute now.

We had rain overnight and quickly went into a deep freeze. Many secondary roads were just glass this morning. Add in the wind and it's just nasty.

Any minute now...

Back when I lived at home in Port Washington, it dropped about 20 degrees in 5 minutes due because the wind shifted and came off the lake. Must have been spring...

From the time I left work today in Madison at 1:30 to the time I got home at 2, the temperature dropped 5 degrees or so. Sort of miserable out there.

Wow Brett, is that from the Bill and Brian school of circle drawing? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm in Omro (by Oshkosh) and it is pure crap outside. About 2:30 it was ice pelleting on me. The pellets were about the size of a pea...not fun.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived