Brewer Fanatic

Winter is back

brewers255

To all of you thanksgiving travels, be prepared. They are calling for a "significant" winter storm Wed. Night into thanksgiving. They are saying several inches depending on the track. Be safe if you do travel, and Winter is finally here.

(added a tag - hawing)

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI 147 PM CST SUN NOV 18 2007 WIZ046-047-051-052-056>060-062>072-190400- MARQUETTE-GREEN LAKE-FOND DU LAC-SHEBOYGAN-SAUK-COLUMBIA-DODGE- WASHINGTON-OZAUKEE-IOWA-DANE-JEFFERSON-WAUKESHA-MILWAUKEE- LAFAYETTE-GREEN-ROCK-WALWORTH-RACINE-KENOSHA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTELLO...BERLIN...FOND DU LAC... SHEBOYGAN...BARABOO...PORTAGE...WISCONSIN DELLS...BEAVER DAM... WEST BEND...PORT WASHINGTON...DODGEVILLE...MADISON...JEFFERSON... LAKE MILLS...WAUKESHA...BROOKFIELD...MILWAUKEE...DARLINGTON... MONROE...JANESVILLE...BELOIT...ELKHORN...LAKE GENEVA...RACINE... KENOSHA 147 PM CST SUN NOV 18 2007 ...HOLIDAY TRAVELERS KEEP UP WITH THE FORECAST... WE ARE CLOSELY MONITORING A POTENTIAL STORM SYSTEM THAT MAY BRING A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO SOUTHERN WISCONSIN WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THANKSGIVING DAY. THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY AS TO HOW THIS SYSTEM WILL EVOLVE AND HOW MUCH SNOW WILL FALL. THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE BULK OF THE SNOW WILL FALL WELL TO OUR SOUTHEAST WITH A RELATIVELY WEAKER LOW. MEANWHILE THERE IS SOME INDICATION THAT A STRONGER LOW COULD FORM AND MOVE ALONG A FAVORED TRACK INTO INDIANA WHICH WOULD RESULT IN A HEAVIER SNOWFALL ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN. THIS IS A PRELIMINARY HEADS UP TO GIVE ALL INTERESTED HOLIDAY TRAVELERS INSIGHT INTO WHAT COULD END UP BEING A HIGH IMPACT EVENT. $$ COLLAR/DAVIS 

Or people driving in snow!

that is the only part that I hate, but what I can't understand, is if everyone hates the people that drive in the snow, who is driving in it correctly? Everyone says that, a lot of people have to be hypocrits.

For the record, I am not accusing you of this, I believe it is in general.

Community Moderator

As an AOS major at UW-Madison, I assure everyone that as of right now, they are overreacting to this due to the holiday travel timing. The computer models have been hinting at this for a few days now, but they show significant disagreement. Furthermore, the latest runs show that there will be very little snow on thanksgiving morning. Considering this is November, major snowstorms are very unusual and I would be very surprised if the snowstorm actually occurs, although small amounts of snow are certainly possible.

Now, we are talking about a storm system that is still over the Pacific Ocean, so there is plenty of time for things to change, and the storm could become more/less likely in a few days.

OWBC has a point in that the local news folks will rarely pass up an opportunity to hype the possibility of bad weather. He has another valid point in that the storm track won't be a sure thing until just about the time it happens.

That said, it wouldn't necessarily take a "major" snowstorm to wreak some Thanksgiving travel havoc.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Summer storm warnings are the worst. Breaking into a show is what they all live for...even though a scroll is sufficient. KQRS in the Cities made a very accurate point once, in prime time, any storm is a disaster...at 4AM, when they get up, unless it's 9/11, there is no mention of anything, often not even a scroll.

Community Moderator

Looks like I was somewhat proven wrong...Snow Advisory issued for Milwaukee and south: 2-3 inches expected. Timing is 3 PM tomorrow to 3 AM Thursday morning, so it could be a nasty evening commute tomorrow. I recommend going home early from work.

From weather.gov:

TWO TO THREE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS FAR SOUTH CENTRAL
AND SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN BY LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING. SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO SPREAD INTO SOUTHERN WISCONSIN LATER WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE UNTIL SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY
NIGHT...THEN TAPER OFF QUICKLY FROM WEST TO EAST. WARMER AIR OFF
OF LAKE MICHIGAN WILL LIKELY BRING A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW
INITIALLY TO THE FAR SOUTHEAST...BUT THIS WILL TRANSITION OVER TO
ALL SNOW DURING THE EVENING. 

There is also a possibility of more snow early next week and cold weather is predicted for the next 2 weeks. Happy Winter!

OWBC has a point in that the local news folks will rarely pass up an opportunity to hype the possibility of bad weather.
especially during november sweeps. newsroom people are drooling right now. their thursday newscasts are already set:

1. weather...reporter out in the "storm"

2. shopping...reporter standing outside a store, maybe with some idiots waiting in line for something stupid

3. turkey...something about the average cost of thanksgiving dinner compared to years past

4. packers (can i mention them on this board http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif)

What is winter?

I would compare to to being kicked in the nads, except winter has to be dealt with for months.

I was taking my dog for a walk at night a few days ago and it was cold and misting out, it was depressing for me to think for the next four months or so, i'll be dealing with miserable weather. Summer in Wisconsin just goes by way to fast, i have to wait another eight months to feel hot sun beating down on me. Instead i get to freeze and/or slop around in slush and snow, what a bummer.

What is winter?

I would compare to to being kicked in the nads, except winter has to be dealt with for months.

I was taking my dog for a walk at night a few days ago and it was cold and misting out, it was depressing for me to think for the next four months or so, i'll be dealing with miserable weather. Summer in Wisconsin just goes by way to fast, i have to wait another eight months to feel hot sun beating down on me. Instead i get to freeze and/or slop around in slush and snow, what a bummer.

Look on the bright side. At least you won't be ice fishing!

Sweet we have our own weatherman know. OWBC you are my new favorite poster. I'm probably one of the few freaks who loves this time of year. It means my dog never gets overheated and there are more trick throws I can make with the disc. Although my dog is out for at least another week with an ACL injury so what's the point of haivng a snow storm? Can't we put up a giant canvas or something to hold off the weather for week?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Winter rules. People that move to warm climates are quitters.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not that this impending storm will necessarily provide the requisite conditions, but I'd like to ask anyone that wants to - please post some pics if/when there are some big snowfalls. I moved to the Pac. NW recently, where winter is the same, but instead of below freezing & snow, it's above freezing and rainy. Crappy weather. I really hope there's snow to be played in when I come home for the holidays. Thanks in advance to any picture posters!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yup, TLB, I enjoyed my time in the NW, as I didn't have to trudge through snow living in the valley, but if I wanted it, I could drive up to Hood or St. Helens and see snow. The rain and cloudiness is absolutely awful. I don't think there's a way to get used to it.

The rain and cloudiness is absolutely awful. I don't think there's a way to get used to it.

Yea, I'm coming to this realization, slowly. It's rained basically all day today - nothing new, no big deal. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There are absolutly no redeeming qualities about Winter to me at all. I will take 90 degree weather over 20 degree weather any day. Heck, I would take it over 30 or 40 degree weather. Go to work, it's dark. Come home from work, it's dark. Very depressing. It's not even December yet, and I'm sick of it. Wait until it starts snowing. I really miss summer....

http://images.yuku.com/image/bmp/57615d9575f39e1fa72da318589d971a08b561c.bmphttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/26215f9a73f297128dc73e97001b69b4bd8a999.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/5283572d92517623f3ab935711628363f956da0.pjpg

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived