Brewer Fanatic

Best Names Among Current Brewers

Mass Haas

Fun topic for a slow time on this forum -- quick story:

Brewerfan has listed 2007 draft pick and Helena third baseman Zealous Wheeler as "Zealous" because his home town paper spelled it that way, as did his community college in press releases. The Brewers list Wheeler as "Zelous" (not nearly as cool a spelling), and that spelling has made its way to MiLB.com and most if not all the news stories out of Helena and the other Pioneer League news spots this past season. Humorously, Wheeler, like many young prospects, has apparently signed with an agent (official advisor) who sees the need to cover both versions:

http://msm18.com/clients.html

By the way, the 20-year-old had a nice little opening season (.809 OPS).

My top five names in the system --

# 5 -- Hitaniel Arias: the 17-year-old outfielder won't debut until next season, but the Dominican lad is probably the most highly touted pre-signing position player the Brewers have inked from the Latin ranks in some time. With a name like Hitaniel, you know he's not a pitcher.

# 4 -- Caleb Gindl: Not only a cool first name, but minimizing vowels is always a bonus -- a stud rookie season doesn't hurt

# 3 -- Wheeler

# 2 -- Zach McAngus: Undrafted and anonymous infielder who will be 24 in May, so he's on the edge for next season's camp; a Hawaiian, they raise fine beef there, right?

# 1 -- Callix Crabbe: And this year major leaguers will learn the name as well, as Callix seems primed for at minimum a cup of big league coffee in 2008

Honorable Mentions by alphabetical order: Omar Aguilar, Brent Brewer (of course), Ozzie Smith Chavez, Yovani Gallardo, Donovan Hand (a pitcher, naturally), Corey Hart, Jeremy Jeffress (rolls off the tongue), Travis Nevakshonoff, E.J. Shanks, Ulrich Snijders, Josh Wahpepah

Who'd I miss:

Brewerfan Player Index

Definitely not on the all-name team? Mike Jones, Dave Johnson

What: no Khalid? Are the memories that painful? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I was really hoping Mehdi Djebbar would move up the chain for a few years.

Current names that are fun to think aloud for me: K. Bueno (for phonetic reasons); I always imagine Rafael Lluberes to have a rubber arm; Wily Peralta sounding like Wile E. Coyote. Cam Robulack has great vowels and McClung has a resonant ring.

Archived