Brewer Fanatic

Like Some Sort of Sven-Jolly

GenoSeligPrieb

I've suspected this for years, and only now are my suspicions being....maybe not "confirmed", but at least advanced.

We've seen that Kenny Rogers fired Scott Boras, but the story why, is very telling.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071117/SPORTS02/711170379/1050/SPORTS

Apparently, at age 43, Kenny Rogers, who's looking for one last season, has consistently maintained throughout the summer that he'd like to stay in Detroit. "My first priority has not changed. I hope to be with the Tigers in 2008." And when the Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski sent 2 offers Kenny's way, Boras rejected them.

Why?

Haven't we always been told by Boras's few apologists that the agent takes his orders from the player, and not vice-versa? But in this case, Boras rejected the offers because Rogers had to be "properly placed in the current market." Notice how the notion of what Rogers genuinely wants (JUST the Tigers) was not factored into the equation by Boras. Just a chance at possibly sending him elsewhere for, wanna bet?, more money.

Also, the Dallas Morning News reported that Boras was trying to possibly send Rogers back to Texas in a Rangers uniform for 2008, but that Kenny would have to apologize (!) to that phony neckbrace-wearing cameraman, whose camera Rogers pushed out of his face back in 2005. By the way, the opportunistic cameraman was shown, immediately after getting the shove he was looking for from the pitcher, give a "mission accomplished" wink to his fellow media creature a few seconds after the incident. Does anyone believe that, IF Boras outlined this Rangers scenario to his client, that Kenny Rogers would have been interested, much less stopped laughing at Boras's idiotic suggestion?

Hey, I heard that Boras received an offer for Kenny Rogers for 2008, but this time, the Mets would demand that the pitcher would have to pack on 80 pounds, wear a white wig and white beard and sing "The Gambler" during the 7th inning stretch of every home game...for $15,000,000.

All Boras has EVER been about, is guiding his clients to the biggest contracts and/or biggest markets possible, regardless of their wishes.

Ya know what would have been another nice gesture? If an otherwise classy guy like Greg Maddux renounced Satan, and fired Boras, too.

That's why I cringe when I remember that Prince is represented by this poop-stain on the game. Not only will we NEVER see a hometown discount in contract talks with Fielder, but Milwaukee will be considered too small-market for us to keep him. Hell, I could see Doug offering Prince a 5-year, $90,000,000 contract to Boras in 2012, but Fielder would probably never even HEAR about it.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

To be blunt, agents are not very beneficial unless you get some endorsements or card shows. Otherwise, if you're just taking the highest bidder, an untrained monkey can sort that out. Just hire a lawyer to make sure the contract is written properly. A few hours is nothing compared to 5%.

Haven't we always been told by Boras's few apologists that the agent takes his orders from the player, and not vice-versa?

Correct, and this article only confirms that Boras is not a voodoo qitch docter, that can make players do something they don't want to do. He can't force them to take the highest bid.

He can't force them, but he makes it damn difficult to say no, and obviously many of these jabronies simply sign off on whatever he (Boras) recommends and are too timid to go through the process of canning your stud agent with a contract negotiation looming.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"To be blunt, agents are not very beneficial unless you get some endorsements or card shows. Otherwise, if you're just taking the highest bidder, an untrained monkey can sort that out. Just hire a lawyer to make sure the contract is written properly. A few hours is nothing compared to 5%. "

No way ARod gets that $250million deal from the Rangers on his own. Not in a million years.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I agree with the notion that Boras has played a very big role in getting his players top dollar.

A player could go, by themselves, from team to team and just pick the highest contract offer.

But Boras has created demand for his players. Boras has a history of getting clubs to bid against themselves to get his clients their contracts.

If I was a player I would just hire Boras and let him take all the heat when I go play for the highest bidder. Just keep my mouth shut and let everybody believe he is the greedy one.

I think that's kind of what happens, anyhow, and I think Boras likes being seen as the villain.

Boras might be able to get you a few pennies more, but we're talking Monopoly money here. If you're a talented player, teams will come calling, and you can decide if you want the most money or to play for another reason (location, winning, etc). Paying 5% to have someone relay the info to you seems ridiculous to me, but I guess 5% of a jillion leaves you with plenty as well.

I'd do it myself, especially as a free agent. Cordero, to use him as an example, is going to get a bit over $10M per regardless of whether he uses Bean or does it himself. If he has enough suitors, or one is desperate, he may get more.

ARod got the deal he did because an owner got emotional, not because of an agent. That signing was so bad, it cost Doug his job, and Doug didn't even do it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cordero is not savvy enough to play one team off another. That's what agents do with free agency in order to get the best deal. Maybe their role is overstated - especially before arby status - but there's a reason only a handful of players have ever represented themselves.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good stuff Geno. I do think the reason people hire Boras to begin with is due to his abilities to drain every last penny out of teams. If the priorities change for that player as time goes on Boras may no longer be the right man for the job. Just my own personal beliefs here but I think Boras feels responsible for raising the bar as a whole by getting top $ for everyone of his clients regardless of their priorities. One has to wonder if Rogers would have made as much money as he has if it wasn't for deals done by Boras types previously. Perhaps Boras is standing on his principal of overall benefits to all his clients vs the benfits of one client. Even if that means he loses one or two clients in the process.

If he gets more money for Rogers then the value of other pitchers in the same category goes up as well. Ulitmately A-Rod and Rogers have shown they do have the final say in what they want and where they go. Even if they have to do so without Boras participation. While I don't like Boras I still believe the client picks the represntative because he feels that person has the same priorities as he does.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think Boras likes being seen as the villain.

Or, he just doesn't care that he's seen as such - the dead presidents dry his tears! I think the mere fact that this debate has legs on both sides is a testament to what Boras has done for his clients.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived