Brewer Fanatic

OMG! Cordero suddenly seems cheap! (Eckstein)

endaround
Except Eckstein is coming off a horrible year. That's what makes this so strange

He was 7th in baseball in BA for shortstops with a 309 average. 10th overall in OBP with .356 and 19th in OPS which was never his strong suit. He's the type of guy that gives himself up to move guys over, hits behind the hitter and generally has been a competent situational hitter whose only shortcoming is in the power department. His fielding was down this year but he's traditinally been consitant but unspectacular as a shortstop. So if that was his down year and I was looking for a stable veteran on the infield for a team that needed a quality stopgap veteran on a team that had money and couldn't afford too much risk I still don't think the $ are all that high an asking price to start negotiations with. The years are a differant matter IMO.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

19th in OPS isn't very good but 7th in BA and 10th in OBP isn't at all bad. If, for instance, the Brewers need in leftfield was at shortstop instead I could see him being a decent fit. The Brewers don't need the extra power but sure could use someone who hits for average, draws walks and can move runners over hit behind runners ect. He would be a decent fit for a year or two at that price. Well close to it anyway. His demands have to be taken into context of being a starting point not what he'll end up with.

The defense I agree but I'm not sure how much one year should count vs his entire body of work. If it was regression due to age his errors wouldn't have increased so dramitically. He never had great range or a strong arm. He always relied on postioning and fundamentally sound mechanics to compensate for his physical shortcomings. I don't see how those strengths go away with age like physical skills do. Certainly not in one years time. Maybe his physical skills declined enough that the other assets could no longer compensate but he's only 32 so I don't see that as a major reason for his decline this season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can see an argument that Eck is average. Fine. But since when did 'average' get $36 million over four years? Is there a precedent for that? I can see someone ponying up may $4.5 - $6 million but $9 seems really high.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At least he had above average numbers for one season http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can see an argument that Eck is average. Fine. But since when did 'average' get $36 million over four years? Is there a precedent for that? I can see someone ponying up may $4.5 - $6 million but $9 seems really high.

totally agree with the four year part. $6 to $9 for two with an option for a third maybe. Incentive laiden in the last couple years or escalators in the first couple if he returns to his normal level might be something he can get. Straight 4 years @ $9/year not likely. Agian I think it's a starting point and he isn't exactly garbage. Not exactly garbage in FA gets more.

Archived