Brewer Fanatic

OMG! Cordero suddenly seems cheap! (Eckstein)

endaround

AOL speak is allowed when David Eckstein and $9MM per year are strung together. I don't buy that this is what crap players will be paid, because there are a ton of crap players and only so many roster spots, so you'll always have scrap heap players willing to play for league minimum, and that'd be smarter than spending that much on Eckstein.

If Eckstein's looking for 9M a year, inflation's gotten out of control, and my boss needs to hit me with a BIG raise.

Maybe you and I are just in the wrong industry, Brian...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I hope Eckstein gets laughed out of the room for that ridiculous of a demand. Seriously - players like him are basically a dime a dozen; Ned Yost calls them "gritty" or "gamers" or "battlers." They're all one and the same, really.

Eckstein is about average at SS, and just below at 2B. He has a ton of value. Seriously, many act like there are 5 good players in the game. Each team needs 8 position starters, 5 SP, and 3 RP. If you fit in and can do one of those things, you are going to make some serious money.

Being average doesn't make one amazing, but being average, and a free agent, often makes one wealthy beyond realistic expectations.

I certainly don't think this player is worth 9 million per year, and absolutely not that amount four times over, but he may get more than we think. One thing that will work against him is the number of available second basemen. Iguchi, Castillo, and Matsui are all free agents, so without knowing if even one veteran is available via trade, we know there are three options who may sign for less. Just watch though, the Mets are talking about grit, etc, and he's been on two Series winners, his agent may be able to sell a deal that seems insane.

Average is often an upgrade, and is valued highly...a team of 25 average guys will win 81, and the playoffs are not far from that, often just 5-10 more wins. Average is valuable, look at the guys signing contracts. You can argue they aren't worth it, but everyone is worth what they can get.

Nothing better to say than my all-time favorite FJM quote:

David Eckstein playing third base would be amazing. I would love to see that. If Jacoby Ellsbury hit a ball down the line to David Eckstein and Eck had to backhand it and throw from foul territory, by the time the ball landed in the first baseman's glove Ellsbury would be sitting on the bench after his inside-the-park little-league HR and Kevin Youkilis would be at the plate with a count of 2-0.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So is $9 million per year the going rate for average?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm well below average. At this point, that should net me at least $500K.

AOL speak is allowed when David Eckstein and $9MM per year are strung together.

OMG!!1!!! R u CRZY Xtein?! Whut r u thnkng! LOLzzz.

Seriously. That's a lot of money for Ryan Theriot v. 1.5.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No kidding, Reed. The Cards have it alright, though - they've got Brendan Ryan to step up to SS. Heck, he really can't be any worse than Eck, and would seem to have a reasonable shot to do better. Unless they need a sacrifice bunt to be what would have been a bunt hit & a sacrifice for anyone with speed. Then they're gonna miss Eck.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

living near Springfield ILL , I have the opportunity to listen to a lot of Cubs and Cardinals sports talk shows. the tone for the Cardinals for almost the entire year was gloom and doom. A lot of people wanted to fire La Russa in April. Much was said about how the Cards are getting OLD. On the other hand, the cubs announcers were always very positive about the present and the future. I guess after they fired the realistic steve Stone who called it like it was, Cubs announcers had to be positive.

With that said, the Cubs announcers seemed to really like theriot. they also thought he should have started at short from day 1, and he was a key ingrediant to their success.

When I looked at the play-offs, i saw a rookie shorstop for the Cubs, Rockies, and Dbacks. You don't need some scappy veteran shortstop making $6-10 million to be able to win. What you need is a talented shortstop who can also catch the ball.

here's hoping that Eckstein gets his money. it will mean the Cardinals have less money to spend on their real needs.

So is $9 million per year the going rate for average?

Weren't we debating if Jenkins $9 million should have been picked next year? I do remember our fearless leader Brian mentioning it on a radio program last summer as being more reasonable as time went on, though I don't remember if he felt it was worth it. Jenkins may be better in some ways but Eck plays middle infield vs corner outfield so that makes him more valuable. I don't think the $ are the problem as much as the years. Average players can get desperate teams to bite on short term fixes but I don't know how many will pay for average as the long term answer. Either way this just looks like more sticker shock. Generally free agents get paid more than they are worth.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived