Brewer Fanatic

I think we need to target a lefty (bat)

splitterpfj

If the team does not use Gross in a platoon in LF, right now, the only left-handed bats in the lineup are Prince, and Estrada vs right-handers. With Gross, Counsell, and maybe Gwynn on the bench, there are left-handed pinch-hitting options, but it seems as though the starting lineup would be a bit to the right of Rush Limbaugh.

If the target is either a new LF, or a new 3B, it looks to me as though that player needs to have the OBP Melvin has stated he wants, and it needs to come from the left side.

Thoughts?

Why does it matter what side they bat on?

Because left handed hitters typically hit right handed pitchers better and since most pitchers are righties and we don't have a lot of lefties finding one makes sense.

I don't get it either. The last two WS champs didn't have a lefty in their rotation, unless you consider Lester a part of Boston's rotation.

If Parra or Cappy end up in the rotation, fine. If they aren't one of our top five starters, that's fine too.

Right handed power hitters in the NL Central: DLee, A. Ramirez, C Lee, Berkman, Pence, Rolen, Pujols, Bay, B.Phillips

Lefty power hitters in the Central: Berkman, Duncan, LaRoche, Dunn, Griffey, Edmonds?

I think a right handed rotation is fine.

I'm in complete agreement here. Without a strong lefty in leftfield the Brewers are just too susceptible to good right handed pitching which is never in short supply. This maks the Brewers less competitive when going up against most #1 and #2 pitchers (I don't think it matters as much for #s 3,4,and 5). If they are serious about competing (and I think that remains yet to be seen) they're going to have to beat those share of pitchers.

Gross simply isn't the answer. Not enough power, not enough defense.

Many teams struggle versus LHP, that's why you'd prefer a balanced rotation, in a perfect world. However, there are not 60 LHSP's good enough to start.

As for the batting order, again, you'd like to be balanced. But, 8 Ryan Brauns would score a lot of runs, and they'd all bat RH. Quality beats side preference, but if you have a choice between a 800 OPS LH or an 800 OPS RH, most would choose the LH for the Crew.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4133/griffeybrewervg6.jpg

I still say that looks too good to be true.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Here is a list of some left handed bats that might be somewhat far-fetched to acquire in a trade or thru free-agency, but there are also some closer to reality players at positions of need for the Brewers (OF/3B):

Bobby Abreu

Hank Blalock

Kosuke Fukudome

Akinori Iwamura

Shawn Green

Cliff Floyd

Andre Either

Adam Dunn

David Dejesus

Johnny Damon

Jack Cust

Ryan Church

Frank Catalanatto

Brad Hawpe

Eric Hinske

Kelly Johnson

Kenny Lofton

James Loney

Rob Mackowiak

Trot Nixon

Luke Scott

Matt Stairs

Mark Teahen

Brad Wilkerson

Luis Gonzalez or Kenny Lofton would be my first two choices here. They both had pretty good seasons last year despite their age, and both wouldn't break the bank. This team needs veteran leadership as well as a LH batting LF.

Luke Scott is definitely a risk. He hasn't played a full season yet in the majors, and he will be 30 next year. And will the Astros even want to trade within the division?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here's why we need a lefthanded hitter next year:

Brewers OPS against righties/lefties in 2007

Kendall - .641/.523
Prince - 1.100/.834
Weeks - .787/.848
Hardy - .729/.950
Braun - .840/1.480
Hart - .824/1.032
Hall - .713/.794

Mench - .681/.901
Gross - .787/.424 (only 17 ABs)

Against left handed pitchers, we cream them. Absolutely cream them. Except Kendall. Two guys +1.000 OPS. Two others +.900 OPS.

Against righties, we have five guys sub-.800 OPS - assuming Gross is playing against righties. Weeks and Gross almost reach .800 OPS. Only Prince truly mashes righthanders in this lineup. And after last year, he's gonna see a lot of walks.

Where to get one is another story, but this team may be suspect against right handed pitching.

Archived