Brewer Fanatic

Mark Teahen

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Brewers were willing to move Braun to the OF, as Dougie said they were, what about Mark Teahen as a 3B?

He played OF last year, but before was a 3B. In 2006 at 3B (only 109 games before he got hurt), his Fielding % was middle of the pack (had he qualified), but his RF (range factor) and ZR (Zone Rating) would have put him in the top 5-6 3B for both categories.

All said, however, anyone have a clue on his defense? I just haven't seen much about him and would appreciate some insight.

I remember the scouting reports on him were good when he came over from Oakland - not great, but good. I think they saw him as a guy who could hit 15-20 HR and have a solid BA/OBP. His 2006 season he hit great (874 OPS), but last year he slumped to a .763.

Things I like about him are that he could be a solid .800 OPS-type 3B. He's lefthanded, which I think the team needs. Only Prince and Estrada currently hit lefthanded (assuming we keep Johnny).

Things that scare me about him are that he was bad against lefties last year - a .672 OPS. He did have a .807 OPS against them in 2006. Which is the real Mark Teahan? Somewhere in between? Teahan has hit quite a bit better in career in his home park (.817 OPS vs .723 OPS on the road). What is the KC park like? Is it favorable to hitters? Neutral?

I doubt he'll be a superstar, but he could be a solid player.

I guess I'm more curious about Teahen than anything, and would like folks opinions on adding him. Plus, what do people think it would cost? A starting pitcher perhaps? Bush? Cappy? Is that too much? KC defiately needs pitching, so I don't think it's a bad fit. We could send them Mench, who might help them.

Thanks.

I would definitely like to have Teahen...he's kind of like Corey Koskie...

he's only 26 and he'd be ours for a few years, so he's a decent target if the brewers are going to look for a 3b...plus, i think he could be had for a youngish starting pitcher and prospect..

Teahen is a good example of the pro hitter Doug talked about a while back...though his defense was always suspect. Think Koskie with a weak glove, as his .734 ZR in '06 would rank him above only Braun, Cabrera, and Atkins in 2007...unless they switched some stuff in ZR between '06 & '07, which is possible.

Teahen's D is outstanding. He was always considered a potential Gold Glover. He wasn't moved from 3B due to his D, he was moved because the Royals needed to make room for Gordon. Teahen's always had questions about his bat though. He's a gap hitter, and doesn't have much power.

I do know that we had him projected to be a very good major-league player and an excellent defensive third baseman.

- Billy Beane

I don't know where you got the idea the A's thought he was a poor defender Al, but his rep has always been that he was a great fielding, weak hitting third baseman.

I know this was from a few years ago, but... 2005 Baseball America Prospect Handbook:

"His instincts, range, and accurate arm led managers to rate him the best defensive third baseman in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League."

2004 edition:

"Defensively, Teahen is a solid third basemam with average speed and a plus arm for the position."

2003 edition:

"An outstanding defender at third base, he has good hands and a strong arm."

Al, it really seems like you're coming out of, well, left field with this.

Teahen finished last in zone rating in 2005 among AL 3B who qualified.

In 2006, his ZR would have been last had he played enough to qualify.

The facts are the facts. I have no desire to care what some former player stuck managing in AAA says about a player in 2 games, in which he fields 2 grounders. This guy has played oodles in the bigs, he has a track record. It is simply not very good.

I have read the analysis of the "problems" ZR has, and am indifferent about them, I guess. All fielders are hurt by shifts, for example. I just don't get very excited about them. Guys you know are good (Hart, for example) come out fine, and guys that are weak (Braun and Weeks) come out near the bottom.

I wouldn't mind Teahen at all, but I'd consider him insurance at 3b rather than a planned replacement for Braun. Teahen can play all four corners, and CF in a pinch. He has a nice arm from the OF. Problem is KC has so few decent position players, they aren't just going to give one away. Especially not a young one. Do you want to give up Bush, Gross, and Escobar (and maybe another prospect in the 5th to 10th-best-in-the-system range) to get him? Bush and Hall for teahen and a prospect?

I did not know at all, but I do recall many questioned his D when he was with OAK.

I have no desire to care what some former player stuck managing in AAA says about a player in 2 games, in which he fields 2 grounders. This guy has played oodles in the bigs, he has a track record. It is simply not very good.

Could you make up your mind?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
ZR and RZR are both subjective based on one person's opinion right? I mean, isn't up ro whomever is watching that particular game? Maybe I misunstand the stats, but if they are subjective, I'd hardly call either of them 'factual'.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They are Homer, but not nearly as much as Brewers' players are punished by the official scorer at MP, handing out errors on hits at any other park. An "insider" told me to lay off Timmy Driscoll last year because he worked hard and did a great job, it was the other guys that gave out hometown calls and the like...but then said many players felt he cost them 10-15 BA points a year, so it's not just me.

EDIT: I'd be happy to share the name, but was asked by the e-mailer not to mention it on Ramblings. Since the readership here is much higher, I will do the same.

Archived