Brewer Fanatic

Melvin would consider moving Braun to LF

bork
"If we can't find a leftfielder, we might look for a third baseman," said Melvin. "I talked with Ryan about it. He'll do whatever he can do to help the ball club."
But he doesn't want to move Hall again, so he wouldn't end up at 3B.

From Haudricourt's blog.

Link

What is Joe Crede's status> I know he is not really in the White Sox plans and has injury concerns, but would he be worth taking a chance on in a situation like this? Actually, as I type this I just remembered Boras is his agent. Nevermind. Unless of course he follows A-rod and Kenny Rogers.

Jeffress? McPherson would be a throw in for Vargas deal. He turns 28 in July and is coming off of surgery. Never understood the Angels keeping him. They knew Socia was going to hate his batting style.

Maybe I'm overvaluing him, but he's good for a career year or two, I think... or maybe I'm undervaluing Jeffress, because I'm beginning to have my doubts that staying clean for him will be easy.

I understand the questions about Jeffress just that McPherson missed all of last season and I'm not sure he can even play 3B anymore (he had back surgery so his lateral movement might be shot). Brad Nelson would be closer to the cost of him right now.

I understand the questions about Jeffress just that McPherson missed all of last season and I'm not sure he can even play 3B anymore (he had back surgery so his lateral movement might be shot). Brad Nelson would be closer to the cost of him right now.

On Sept 2nd, he resumed all baseball activities, so reportedly, he's ready for the start of S/T. Dunno about what we would have up to get him... I just think he's a worthwhile risk. If Nelson would do it, I'd be delighted.

it would appear there are a lot of third basemen available on the market this Winter and it would be easier to acquire a third baseman than meet tampa bay's asking price for a good leftfielder named crawford.

The brewers could probably acquire Crede without giving up hall or Sheets. Glaus is probably looking for a new home. Landing Cabrera is just a fantasy. The angels and Rockies have a couple of super third base prospects waiting for a chance. Chad tracey could be looking for a new home with Reynolds in place. Ensberg has to be available CHEAP! Rolen?

as i said. there's a lot of third basemen available. not as many quality left fielders.

Lots of good subjects from Reed...

Of course I'm slobbering over Carl Crawford. He could be that elusve #3 hitter I've wanted since Overbay was sent packin'. It would probably take a package of, let's say, Parra, Stetter and perhaps an Iribarren. I can't see anyone giving up much less than a combo like this. That's 3 pretty solid nuggets, but then you have Carl Crawford in LF, batting 3rd.

As for Crede, I'd take a pass. For starters, he's represented by Boras, so I'd be leery of him, right away. Like SO many White Sox, his (only) great season came in 2005, when the umpires and the planets realigned just so, and just about everyone on that team coincidentally had their best year ever at the same time. We need guys with better OBPs, and Crede's not that guy. He's also expensive, and his back injury this past season could limit his mobility at 3B for the rest of his career. Besides, Kenny Williams wants Billy Hall, who is much more versatile, has more speed, is younger, cheaper, and is not a free agent in October.

I agree that Miggy Cabrera is just a fantasy. And as for Glaus, now that he's under suspicion from buying all those PEDs from that dentist, Dr. Nick Riviera in Florda, watch him start hitting and fielding like Crede, for BIG money. Chad Tracey DOES interest me, and perhaps could be had, cheap. As for Ensberg, he may have been a former juicer who slugged in incredible ways in that dinky Houston stadium, but is now falling back to earth faster than you can say "Bret Boone."

And Rolen? For 8 figures per season, he may play 80 games for St. Louis. Another pass.

Otherwise, some good ideas...

as i said. there's a lot of third basemen available. not as many quality left fielders.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Of course I'm slobbering over Carl Crawford. He could be that elusve #3 hitter I've wanted since Overbay was sent packin'. It would probably take a package of, let's say, Parra, Stetter and perhaps an Iribarren. I can't see anyone giving up much less than a combo like this. That's 3 pretty solid nuggets, but then you have Carl Crawford in LF, batting 3rd.

If we actually did get Crawford he'd probably bat 2nd. There's no chance he'd take over 3rd with Braun and Prince still on the team.

Lots of good subjects from Reed...

Parra/Stetter/Iribarren isn't gong to land us Crawford

It's going to take more than a good, not great starting pitching prospect with some past injury issues, a situational lefty, and a high A ball minor league secondbaseman with a questionable future. I doubt that even those that feel Crawford is overrated would take that package if they were the Tampa GM when you consider his production already, he's only 26, and is signed to a team friendly contract. If Doug offered that, i think he'd get one of those ultra quick thanks for calling responses like if a fat guy calls a super hot girl.

Archived