Brewer Fanatic

Cordero gets 4 year 45 millon dollar offer...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Part of me thinks winning is important to Coco, as is working regularly. How many meaningful appearances would he actually get in a season with a team like the Reds or Royals?

The Reds were arguably the "best" team in the NL Central from the all star break on. They have a decent rotation and a powerful offense. If they shore up the bullpen, which was by far their biggest weakness, it's not that much of a stretch to see them playing .500 ball or slightly better.

He has an offer for 4 years, $42 million and he could leave? That offer is already in Billy Wagner range. I'd go an extra million or two per year just to keep him around (like 4 years, $46M), as once you get in that kind of range it doesn't seem to matter as much, but if the Reds offer is that much more appealing, I agree, buh-bye Coco.

My guess is that once you get over 4yrs $42, money is less of an issue -- Maybe the Reds gave him a fifth year -- maybe he sees

the Reds as having a better setup man in Weathers giving him more save ops. or maybe he doesn't like Yost. I could understand

a scenario where CoCo sees Linebrink leave and doesn't feel real warm and fuzzy about his future stat padding, or maybe

it's something like no-trade clauses

I am still not so sure about the Reds. I don't know if I would call their rotation decent either. Considering Griffey probably wont last much longer and Dunn very well could be gone after 2008, I just dont them being all that good for an extended period of time. Yes they do have a good amount of young talent in Bailey, Bruce, and others, but I just don't see it.

Harang's a very good pitcher, Arroyo is a good pitcher, but after that it's dicey. I wouldn't go out of my way to try and determine why pitching for the Reds would have more upside than staying in Milwaukee. Without a doubt, it's about the money (it almost always is).

Unless Melvin has a relatively sure thing as a back up plan, he needs to do what is necessary to keep CoCo.

I'm not sure I would go that far, as if the Reds are offering five years and a few extra million per year I wouldn't cave. But I do agree that I hope Melvin has some backup plans in place. The market overall has been rather slow moving, although moves tend to heat up more as the Winter Meetings approach, now about a week and a half away.

Let him walk. I'd rather use that money on multiple players. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but his age concerns me. I say fo after Fuentes. I know in his time with the Timber Rattlers he did enjoy playing in Wisconsin, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back.

I guess one question I ask everyone here is...let's say he signs with the Reds. Are you upset he might be within the division? I really am not upset at all, which leads me to believe I don't really mind if he goes.

My guess is that once you get over 4yrs $42, money is less of an issue -- Maybe the Reds gave him a fifth year -- maybe he sees

the Reds as having a better setup man in Weathers giving him more save ops. or maybe he doesn't like Yost. I could understand

a scenario where CoCo sees Linebrink leave and doesn't feel real warm and fuzzy about his future stat padding, or maybe

it's something like no-trade clauses

Turnbow is still with us and he didn't do to badly setting up Cordero this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wonder if Cordero has made the standard "it's not my decision where I go" statement. I hate that statement more than anything. It is just so stupid. Just say that you are going to whoever pays you the most and get it over with.

I blame Wang.

Turnbow is still with us and he didn't do to badly setting up Cordero this year.
This should have been in blue. If they have Turnbow pitching in any meaningful games this year, I will be very disapointed.

If the Reds sign him, we'll lose the 1st round pick again, right? Because of the Reds 2007 record?

This should have been in blue. If they have Turnbow pitching in any meaningful games this year, I will be very disapointed.

If the Reds sign him, we'll lose the 1st round pick again, right? Because of the Reds 2007 record?

No it shouldn't. A large percentage of the time Turnbow went out and didn't give up runs. I would rather a reliever give up 8 runs in one outing and none in 3 than 2 every time out.

I blame Wang.

Kind of crummy luck. Their two Type As sign with top-15 teams.

You know what, though? I doubt it will make much of a difference in terms of who the team would actually pick. When you have 6 choices in the first 2 rounds of the draft, signability becomes an even bigger concern than it usually is. If the Brewers had wound up with 2 additional late first round choices, how many of their 3 firsts do you suppose would actually have been spent on guys projected to go in the first round? I'd guess one or two at the most. Not that we'll ever know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Brewers end up taking the same guys with their sandwich picks they would have taken with the late firsts, and the same guys with their additional second rounders they would have taken with the sandwich picks.

I think Turnbow will have a significant role in our bullpen this year. The key is knowing how to use him, this is the struggle with Yost.

Last year Turnbow had 15 appearances out of 77 where he gave up at least one run (Cordero had 11 out of 68). Of those 15 games, 10 were days where Turnbow had pitched the day before, including one occasion of four straight.

Anecdotally, at least some of those games were games when even the casual observer could tell that Turnbow "didn't have it" that day (four-pitch leadoff walks, for example). Many times when Turnbow comes in there has been someone else up in the pen anyway, so pulling him could be done immediately. With some proactive planning, he could be a useful member of the pen.

Yes it takes extra work to plan around Turnbow's "issues" and no, I wouldn't seek out a pitcher with these issues, but he's already here and he's kind of a head case but he's been effective in the past. I see him as at least the 7th inning guy this year. which would provide fewer high-leverage situations.

Archived