Brewer Fanatic

Cordero gets 4 year 45 millon dollar offer...

Cordero is a quality reliever who like so many other pitchers Doug found in other teams scrap pile. ANd that is exactly what he was, as pitcher that was struggling and expendable. I, for one, do not want to overpay for a relief pitcher and get get stuck paying big dollars, just to "save face" with the fans.
You might want to take a closer look at his career. He struggled all of one month in Texas. He was certainly not a scrap heap player. He was far from expendable since it took Carlos Lee to get him from Texas. Most scrap heap pitchers take quite a bit less than an allstar everyday player to aquire. In his entire career he's had an ERA above 4 once. Quite frankly he's one of the few consistantly good relievers in the game today. He will be worth the money some team spends on him. If the Brewers are the team that feels he's worth it I wouldn't be disappointed at all about the expenditure. I mean it's not like they have a shot at resigning Prince when his arby years are over so what would they be saving this money for? Especially since they need to start putting together championship caliber teams now.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read a few times the Brewers have offered market for 3 years, I'd guess $30-33M. It would seem that 4th year is the sticking point, and no one has given it yet. A compromise of a team option with a larger buyout (3-4M?) might do it.

Yeah if he's having trouble getting a guaranteed fourth year I'd try to get him with an option. Maybe even a vesting option say a 3.25 ERA over the first 3 years and it kicks in or something like that.

update from rotoworld.com

Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he had a strong proposal out to free agent Francisco Cordero.

Cordero and agent Bean Stringfellow are weighing it. "Francisco has a sincere desire to come back there," Stringfellow said. "We're continuing to talk. We're at a different stage (in negotiations) in general. Things have progressed, both with the Brewers and other teams. We have some things to consider."

I'll give Rosenthal the benefit of the doubt because he's usually pretty spot on. Teams being "interested" and teams actually offering 4/60 contracts are two very different things. There may be some teams calling, but it could be that the only firm offer they have received could be the Brewers and 3/30 or something. If that's the only hard offer on the table, it may be tough to pass up at this point. He could tear a biceps carrying a huge turkey around this weekend and then "poof" goes the contract!

He could tear a biceps carrying a huge turkey around this weekend and then "poof" goes the contract!

CoCo probably won't be in the same state (or country) as Ned this weekend, let alone have to lug him around. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

(sorry, I just couldn't resist on this Friday-on-Wednesday)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

From MLB.com, the Yankees asked, but they're out...

Yankees: With their attention on improving a bullpen that Joe Girardi acknowledges has several holes to be plugged, the Yankees had interest in acquiring free agent Francisco Cordero to set up for Mariano Rivera, but Cordero wants to close.

Very good news. I'm really starting to think that the report might well be true, and it's essentially going to end up a choice between pitching for a good team like the Brewers or for a team like KC where he'll get only like 29 save opportunities. I think we're probably the front runner at this point, and I wonder how many are even in the rear view mirror.

I'm going to try to not get too optimistic on this one, though I largely agree with what you're sayin', PF. The 'rearview mirror' comment makes me think that the first team to offer him a guaranteed 4th year would bolt past us so fast, we wouldn't even see them in the rearview.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It sure is quiet on the Coco front - I'm starting to believe that we have a decent shot at retaining his services. If we could sign him for a reasonable (I know, relative word) contract, he'd also be a nice chip to have in future trades (if we think someone else emerges as closer material). In the meantime, it would be nice to know we have a great closer working for us! I'm becoming optimistic.... but maybe it's just the alcohol today.

The Cincinnati Reds, moving toward the first big acquisition of the Dusty Baker era, are in serious talks with free-agent closer Francisco Cordero, major-league sources say.
Cordero is still talking to three clubs, but it is believed that the Reds have emerged as the front-runner over the Brewers and an unidentified third team.

The Brewers, who are on the verge of losing setup man Scott Linebrink to the White Sox, offered Cordero a four-year, $42 million contract, sources say.

Cordero, 32, would fill a major void for the Reds, who last season converted only 54.8 percent of their save opportunities, the lowest percentage in the National League.

By signing Cordero, the Reds could shift right-hander David Weathers back to a setup role. Weathers, 38, performed admirably as a fill-in closer last season, converting 33 of 39 save chances.

Cordero was 44-for-51 for the Brewers while going 0-4 with a 2.98 ERA and striking out 86 in 63 1/3 innings. He made the All-Star team for the second time in his career.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7480854

He has an offer for 4 years, $42 million and he could leave? That offer is already in Billy Wagner range. I'd go an extra million or two per year just to keep him around (like 4 years, $46M), as once you get in that kind of range it doesn't seem to matter as much, but if the Reds offer is that much more appealing, I agree, buh-bye Coco.

Mr. Melvin, you've got your work cut out for you.

I have no idea which guys actually will be traded, but there are grumblings about Bobby Jenks, Joe Nathan, Chad Cordero and Huston Street right now - there will be other options.

Throw Brian Fuentes onto this list, who is my personal favorite since I feel he is probably the easiest to acquire.

However, while there are options out there, some of them would take an incredible amount of talent to acquire, and how are we sure this is the direction Melvin even wants to go? I'm frightful losing Cordero and having the team move forward with someone like Turnbow or some reclammation project like Kerry Wood projected as the team's closer. I'm not crying that the sky is falling, but I'm far from taking comfort in the fact that there are other options out there. We knew what we had with Coco, and seeing him go to a divisional rival no less would be particularly tough.

I am willing to overpay to keep CoCo. He is a sure thing. This is not a team where we can be "hoping" someone can be a serviceable closer or the stupid "closer by committee" BS of the past.

Unless Melvin has a relatively sure thing as a back up plan, he needs to do what is necessary to keep CoCo.

I am willing to overpay to keep CoCo.
I think 4 yr/42 million is overpaying. So Doug might very well agree with you.

I can't believe the Brewers went above 3 years. Anyone who wanted to question the Brewer's desire to win - should be able to put those questions to bed.

Would he honestly leave the Brewers to take 4 yrs/46 million somewhere else on a lesser team? Is it possible that the Reds have added a 5th(!) year?

Wow, that's a lot of coin. And a lot of years. But I guess that's the cost of doing business in this market. I really hope Melvin is talking to some of those teams with closers to deal - going into this, I thought we'd be more active on the trade market than FA.

Not sure I'd want to close in Cincy. Less work I guess, or at least fewer high-pressure save situations. Plus its a band-box.

But remember, its not all about the money.

Archived