Brewer Fanatic

Cordero gets 4 year 45 millon dollar offer...

I think KC might well overpay to get someone, like they did with Meche.

If Meche continues to pitch like he did last year, the Royals got a bargain, not overpaid. Obviously things could change over the next four years of his deal, but 216 innings and a 3.67 ERA for an AL starter is worth quite a bit more than 11 million in the market today. He had the 11th best ERA in among starters in the AL last year.

As for Cordero, year a 4yr/40 million dollar deal for a closer is alot for a team like the Brewers and risky if he doesn't pitch as well during all those years. With that said, for contending teams like the Brewers should be for awhile, the difference between having a good and a mediocre closer very easily can be a couple games. In tight playoff races, that can mean going to the playoffs or watching them. Plus, salaries will only go up, 10 million per could end up being somewhat a bargain by year 3-4 of his deal if Coco is still pitching great. If the Brewers were like the Pirates, i'd never consider paying a closer 10 million. Where the Brewers are no, i'd consider it strongly.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the contract is said to be for $45M. I would guess it ends up being structured for something like $9M/$10M/$13M/$15M. Over the short term pretty good, but a large percentage of our payroll after a couple years, even with a roster salary increase, at a time when we will need most of our available money to keep our young studs together. Add to that the fact that pitching in general, especially relief pitching, is sporadic in performance year to year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Oh well. I'd rather he not come back at this point...I don't think investing 4 yrs/10 mil+ in Cordero would be good for a team like Milwaukee. NYY, Boston, etc. could 'write him off' if he doesn't perform towards the end of that contract, the Brewers on the other hand really need to be pretty smart with their investments. Thanks for the year and a half Coco.

so what's the delay in the brewers offering Cordero arbitration? why the delay in making it official? I' m quite positive the brewers have made Cordero an initial offer. I can't understand why the brewers would wait until the last day to offer him arby. I see no benefit in waiting.

I could see where you might want to wait on a fringe player like graffy, but i thought Cordero was a guy the brewers definitely wanted to at least try to retain.

why not stop the chicken fighting and get it over with and offer him arby? the Brewers have really nothing to lose.

What effect exactly do you think offering arby is going to have? It's going to have no bearing on whether a team is going to sign him or not, and it's not like if the Brewers offer arby tomorrow Cordero is going to say "Oh, maybe I should take them up on it". It's a complete non issue.

What effect exactly do you think offering arby is going to have?
It is a 100% given that the Brewers will offer him arbitration.

Just curious, as to why the Brewers might wait until the last day. Once you offer arbitration, can you "unoffer" in the event of something else happening?

What if the Brewers offered arbitration. The next day Cordero is in a car accident and needs surgery on his shoulder. Could he then accept the arbitration? (Highly unlikely I know - just curious as to why the Brewers might be waiting)

I recall two situations in baseball where the team waited until the last day and then either forgot or just didn't get the deal done. one of those situations involved a client of Scott boras. he was negotiating a contract with a club and they went past the deadline to sign the player. They eventually signed the player, but because of boras' actions, the club could not technically negotiate with the player until may. the player got his money, but the team lost his services for the entire month of April. In another instance, the club forot to mail out a contract to a player in a timely fashion, and the player used the team's tardiness to declare himself a free agent, and he signed for a lot more with a different team. I recall one of those situations involved the twins and the other involved the Cardinals. I could be wrong.

I know last year that several teams did not want to bid on graffy until they knew if we were going to offer him arby. that did not make graffy a happy camper waiting around until the last day when the Brewers finally made their decision. if the Brewers had offered graffy arby on the first day, he would have accepted it, and the brewers probably would not have wasted their time and money signing Counsell.

as for Cordero, if offering him arby is a given, and means nothing, then why wait until the last day to do it? Get it over with. it's like taking a flu shot. just do it and get it over with. additionally, offering him arby early may reduce the amount of suitors. rather than playing the cat and mouse game, just go out there and be a Lion, and do it. i see no possible benefit in delaying this forgone action.

cordero and his agent can also play the cat and mouse game by waiting until the last possible moment to sign with somebody. and like graffy, it could backfire in their faces as other teams spend their available money on other free agents. i would imagine that the team that made it's 4 year 45 million offer probably made a similar offer to Rivera, and probably to several other FA's like hunter. it's possible if Cordero waits too long, that team will have used its money elsewhere.

So if the Brewerrs plan to offer arby - just DO IT and get it over with. if it means nothing and is a forgone conclusion, just do it and scratch it off your to do list. get it done.

I have a gut feeling that if/when he leaves, he is gonna tank, and tank hard!

Just waiting now to see who the sucker team is that OVER pays him and gets the high hard screw job!

bye bye coco...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have a gut feeling that if/when he leaves, he is gonna tank, and tank hard!

Just waiting now to see who the sucker team is that OVER pays him and gets the high hard screw job!

bye bye coco...

Based on what?

Cordero spent most of his career in an extreme pitchers park and his ERA's were

2006 he had a 4.81ERA with Texas after one bad month, but finished the year with us having a 1.69 ERA and this year was at 2.98.

He has always been very durable, no history of arm problems, has lost nothing on his fastball/slider, and is only 32 years old. He's shown nothing to me to think decline is around the corner, much less a huge decline like you're implying. Not only has his stuff or ERA shown signs of downward trends, his secondary stats were better than earlier in his career. His walks are down, strikeouts up, WHIP 1.11, and BAA of .218. Whoever signs Cordero should have good reason to expect very good performance.

Cordero is a quality reliever who like so many other pitchers Doug found in other teams scrap pile. ANd that is exactly what he was, as pitcher that was struggling and expendable. I, for one, do not want to overpay for a relief pitcher and get get stuck paying big dollars, just to "save face" with the fans.

I trust that Doug and staff have that very same type of pitcher on there radar screen and they will go out and get him. Although I appreciate CoCo's pitching, I believe that the NL has caught on to his 2 pitches and he will not be te pitcher he was in the past.

Save your money and pay your youngster's.

Like everyone else, I don't get the December 1st thing. There's zero chance he isn't offered arbitration unless he tears a rotator cuff while being caught on camera stabbing someone to steal their steroids. Offering Cordero arbitration is a zero-risk move, as he'll never accept, and then you get draft picks. I can see no reason why a team would wait to sign him on the hopes that this would not occur.

I think Reed was getting the Travis Lee draft negotiations confused with actual arbitration. Lee declared free agency after Boras discovered a loop hole about tendering offers within a certain amount of time (30 days?). It had always been something major league teams didn't pay much attention to and I think Booby Seay and John Patterson also exploited the loop hole so they could sign free agent contracts with whomever they wanted that year.

i am moving this from the major league forumn

Ken Rosenthal though in his latest column says that

"Cordero, however, does not appear to be generating much interest beyond the Brewers"

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7469272

take it for what its worth!

That's very interesting. I would love to know what numbers we've discussed with him. Could it be that we're able to re-sign him in the 4/30-35 range?? I know it's not a significant yearly increase, but it's four years of guaranteed $$ that could be attractive enough.

Archived