Brewer Fanatic

Cordero gets 4 year 45 millon dollar offer...

according to some dude named Bean Stringfellow (odd name I know, I swear it is a real name...ha) on Fox Sports Radio. Didn't name the team but said there were 6 teams that have showed extremely high interest in Cordero and they hope to make a final decision after the December 1st deadline. I personally don't know what the December 1st deadline is as I thought free agency had formally begun. The question was asked if the offer was made by the Brewers and it was a quick no.

Ok, I don't know who this Stringfellow dude is so I don't know if he is creditable or not. If this offer is legit then I say it was great having you on the team but sir enjoy your new city and we'll enjoy the picks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't know what the December 1st deadline is as I thought free agency had formally begun

Well -- If a team signed Cordero before Dec. 1 -- they would automatically send a 1st rd pick to the Brewers -- If the Brewers

would decline to offer Cordero arby, then the new team wouldn't forfeit anything.

Of course Cordero will be offered arby -- but last year Ohka wasn't, and it probably was good that he wasn't.

Don't be suprised if it's the Royals. They overpaid for all their free agents the last few years.

They sign them then trade them at the deadline for prospects. Grudzielanek and Meche have been kept, but Dotel was dealt at the deadline. Reggie Sanders got hurt.

Now, if Cordero were to sign there and perform well for a few months, the Royals could turn that into two top prospects come July 31st.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Now, if Cordero were to sign there and perform well for a few months, the Royals could turn that into two top prospects come July 31st.

But wouldn't Cordero have the option of requesting a trade if he's dealt in the first year or two of a multi-year contract? I think that rule still applies, but I'm not positive. That might deter teams from giving top guys, knowing he could opt out of his deal and strike an even better one next off season (assuming he pitches well all year).

Can't the brewers speed this process up by offering him arby today? Do the brewers want Cordero to sign elsewhere this week and then sneek in and offer him arby after he's already signed just so they get the compensation?

I have to believe offering Cordero arbitration would result in a lot less than this 4 year offer. So what's the brewers' problem in delaying their arbitration offer? By offering him arbitration, they can still offer him a 3-4 year contract as well. and offering him arby may also scare off a couple of his suitors.

By offering him arbitration, they can still offer him a 3-4 year contract as well. and offering him arby may also scare off a couple of his suitors.

This is why it would be nice to know who these suitors are (and maybe Melvin does) if they are teams who wouldn't lose their top pick anyway, arbitration won't stop them.

so what's the delay in the brewers offering Cordero arbitration? why the delay in making it official? I' m quite positive the brewers have made Cordero an initial offer. I can't understand why the brewers would wait until the last day to offer him arby. I see no benefit in waiting.

I could see where you might want to wait on a fringe player like graffy, but i thought Cordero was a guy the brewers definitely wanted to at least try to retain.

why not stop the chicken fighting and get it over with and offer him arby? the Brewers have really nothing to lose.

Let him go. We can give up that kind of money next year, but not after that, unless we are willing to give up one or two of our young studs. Good luck in the future CoCo. That is unless you sign with the Cubs or pitch against us, then I hope you blow it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived