Brewer Fanatic

Who should play 3B in 2008?

JJHardy7

I'd like to see Hall at 3rd base, but that would cause too much organizational embarrassment.

I like Teahen if he hits left-handed.

Andruw Jones would be interesting if he has absolutely no takers, and he'd take a 12 mil/ 1 year contract in order to jump start his career. I think he's the kind of guy who is so selfiah and self-centered that he might have a monster year (although I'm aware the "contract" year run is a sports myth).

How is Andruw Jones selfish and self-centered? Those are some pretty strong accusations. Jones is loved in Atlanta.

If he's available for 12 million for one year, I do this in a heart beat. I think this makes sense for the Brewers (PR wise) to move Hall back. The Brewers trade Sheets to Atlanta for Jeff F, Soriano, and then sign Jones. I'd do that.

First off, you're right about the accusation, and I apologize if I'm wrong. I got the impression from watching his "attitude" in the field, and his contract demands given how much he's slipped. I'll admit I could be mistaking his natural swagger for self-importance.

Nick Punto.

I'd be down for Ensberg, Rolen, Teahen etc.

I'd surely be okay with moving Hall back to 3B and picking up a CF, depending on who comes at the best value. I think Melvin has plenty of good options to choose from.

Morgan Ensberg has been available time and time again, for nothing, and teams keep passing on him. I think that speaks volumes about something about him that we don't know.

Joe Crede? No thanks. He's a Boras client, and Boras apparently thinks he could make huge money on the FA market after having a huge postseason in 2005, a decent 2006 and a reputation as one of the best defensive third basemen in the game. He has a .259/.305/.446 career line, which is barely better than Pedro Feliz'.

Jayson Stark adds to the Scott Rolen situation, mentioning the Brewers as a team that could make sense:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3121887

Now it looks as if the Cardinals are going to bide their time until Cabrera gets traded, then reposition Rolen as the best third-base option out there. And there are all kinds of possibilities, depending on the Cardinals' willingness to digest some of the dollars. The Dodgers, Brewers, Reds and Indians, for instance, all make sense on varying levels.

I think it's Rolen, but I like the idea of Eric Chavez. To move Braun off the hot corner so early would require a Gold Glove-quality 3B and it just so happens that two of the best Gold Glove 3B are on the trade market. Once LaRussa came back, the writing was on the wall who was going to be sent out. To whom, I have no clue but there are not a great many teams now that require expensive 3B. Chavez, unfortunately, would probably be more difficult. The idea that I would endorse is CV The Younger and Hall for Chavez and Harden. Make him your closer. Make him your Ace(A/B/C)... I would probably hope for some contract relief from Billy for Chavez, but with the contract recently offered Coco, I would speculate that there is money in the budget to take on such an albatross. Barring a blockbuster, I would think that Morgan Ensberg and his high OBP would be a welcome addition to hit in front of all of our boppers, although he was once also a bopper. And now that Jenkins is gone, where can I find my token Trojan on the field?

With Cordero and Jenkins' contracts no longer a concern for Milwaukee, acquiring a player like Eric Chavez becomes much more palatable. I think they would be able to afford taking on his contract, as I think it runs out before any of our young players start hitting arby or getting significant raises. Rumors are swirling that Haren and Blanton are on the market, as Beane may be preparing to go into a full rebuilding mode, so Chavez could definitely be had for the right price (Gamel + Vargas?). Vargas could be tossed into the rotation and serve as filler while the prospects to be acquired in any Blanton/Haren deals develop along with Gamel.

While Chavez has been mediocre at best offensively, he does provide a left-handed bat with pop, and is among the 5 best defensive 3B in the game. Putting him in the 6 or 7 spot in the lineup looks pretty good to me. Moving Braun into left to make room for a GG caliber defender at 3rd would drastically improve team D as well.

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Chavez

Hall

Kendall

P

Well if we are going to move Braun away from 3B I want more of a sure thing at 3B. Loretta probably cannot play every day and hasn't been good since 2004, he would have been a below average 3B offensively in 9 of his 13 season. So not him.

Rolen's shoulder is just too much of a concern so not him.

Crede and Ensberg are plausible but both do have pretty strong injury histories to go with them. Out of those two I'd personally prefer Ensberg who has always had great BB skills and gets benched every time his AVG slips.

Teahan is an interesting guy, but it is look like that 2005 power spike was the mirage people thought it was. He never really had power in the minors either.

I'd have to say Hall or Braun are the most feasible options. I have always thought 3B was Hall's best position, he is just bad at turning double plays at SS and never looked comfortable to me. He always looked good at 3B.

Archived