Brewer Fanatic

Who should play 3B in 2008?

JJHardy7
As many here know, I've stated I believe Braun should stay at 3B. I think as a fan base we've been waiting so long for the Brewers to win that we want it now and are pressing a bit. I can't disagree with that and if this was an older version of the Brewers moving Braun wouldn't be all that much of a hot topic. His rookie year at the plate was amazing. His defense was not. He hasn't been playing this position all that long and I feel giving him more time there (which if we are really in the win now mode I admit we may not have) he might develop into at least an average 3B. Regardless...Let's say we're moving Braun to an OF spot...Who do we want as the 2008 Brewers 3B? As of now, I don't think Bill Hall is a fair answer since the Brewers seem unwilling to move him (maybe it's this way if they don't bring someone in). I'm all for improving the defense, but the "Braun to the OF" talks don't tell me who we want. If it's not Hall, it's got to be a free agent or a trade. Who do we want and what gets the deal done?

I guess if there going to go after someone, I would like to see it be Scott Rolen.

He is expected to be back for Spring Training after shoulder surgery. He is 32 years old and is a 7 time gold glove third-baseman w/ a great bat when healthy.

I wouldn't mind taking on the rest of his 3/36 if it meant we didn't have to give much back to St. Louis. His last two healthy seasons were 04' and 06' and his lines were 314 .409 .598 and 296 .369 .518.

I know it would be a gamble, but if he could come back close to his 06' totals he would be a huge pickup.

I say give Braun one more year at 3B and then deal with it if there's not significant improvement. I don't think everyone should assume LaPorta is going to be ready to play LF in 2009, because there's a decent chance he won't be. So I don't see it hurting to find a LF (or 3B if they DO move Braun) for more than just a year long stint. I know this thread is about 3B but 3B and LF are related as far as moving Braun goes.

Braun unless they can get a better player and move Braun to LF. By the way, why does Braun have to be in left? He has speed. Couldn't he be a good CF eventually? I konw his bat will play anywhere, but if he is going to be moved to the OF think of his value at CF. I see Hall getting traded if that happens.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Someone who will both not be historically bad defensively and hit better than Craig Counsell. Shouldn't be too hard to find, but he should be named neither Craig Counsell nor Ryan Braun. And it would help if he was also not named Pedro Feliz.

As much as I hate all the position shuffling, has anyone considered moving Braun to left, Hall to 3rd and Andruw Jones to CF? Jones, by all reports is not recieving much interest on the free agent market and could be had for a reasonable price. If all that were to happen, now how good does that line up look both offensively and defensively? A gold glover in CF, a RF who runs like a deer and a RF who is just a masher. Add that to getting Hall back where he belongs, on the IF, and all of a sudden you've got the makings of a pretty damn good club by adding one person. That would free up money to spend on the bullpen. Someone let me know if I'm crazy.

Ciao

My birthday would come early if Joe Crede was a Brewer. I'm dreaming though.

Whew good. For a second I thought Joe Crede was a Brewer. That would've been my nightmare. If we can't find an out of house 3rd baseman I want Hall to move back there with Hart to CF and Braun in either corner outfield spot.

Archived