Brewer Fanatic

Deer, Molitor, Yount et al. - SportingNews.com's 1986: Take Two -- Can the '86 Brewers Be Saved?

Rob

My advice to Mr. Sackman is simple. Don't let Jaime Cocanower see the mound EVER.

You do realize he was better than league average for his career, right?

Of course, if you have a whole team of better than average arms, that would be quite a team.

• 3 weeks later...

(Disclaimer: I work for SportingNews.com, so this technically qualifies as a plug, but it also constitutes a baseball lover/Brewer fan's desire to share a cool thing with his favorite and only message board he frequents. You can see from my profile I have over 200 posts here, so I hope this post and I are welcome. If this violates any policy, or is in the wrong place, forgive me...)

SportingNews.com is re-creating the classic 1986 baseball season this offseason, game by game, using the Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online game engine, with 26 prominent members of the baseball/media community managing the original rosters through the original schedule, and basically seeing what happens. Most notably involved is Curt Schilling, managing the '86 Red Sox, Doug Glanville (Phillies) and Baba Booey (Gary Dell'Abate of the Howard Stern show), in charge of the Mets. Mr. Jeff Sackmann, of BrewCrewBall and the HardballTimes fame, is piloting our Brewers. It's just under 2 weeks into the season now, with the Tigers (led by Sean Forman, creator of Baseball-Reference.com), A's, Mets and Giants clinging to early leads in their respective divisions.

I've been meaning to share this with you guys for a little while now, but what finally drove me to it today was the night Rob Deer had last night (4-for-5, 3 HR, 7 RBI). As part of running this whole thing I'm in charge of writing the roundups everyday on the front page, and I was psyched I got to make a TTO reference today and gush about one of my favorite all-time Brewers.

Check it out and follow the action all offseason at:

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/1986/

(Yeah, I know '86 wasn't the best year for the Crew, but at least there's less pressure on us to perform...)

Thanks,

Bernie

Archived