Brewer Fanatic

bush-league team offers Barry Bonds $1,200 a month for 2008

i don't know if you mean bush league as a joke or not, or if you just used it because it was in the article, but the frontier league is a great league, it gives players the chance to play professionally and make their dream come true. Some decent players have been discovered there too and made it to the majors, like Thatcher.

bush league just doesn't seem like an appropriate term for a league where the players just play for the love of the game

The funny thing is, I've heard some discussions on the radio about what this does to his chances of signing with a team in the off season. Huh? What is there to discuss? It's over, done, stick a fork in him. I can't possibly believe that any team in their right mind would consider touching this guy.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm tired of these parasite stories.

The Washington Wild Things are using Bonds to garner attention upon themselves. Marc Ecko buys a Bonds ball to draw attention to himself.

Blatant low class opportunism.

I'm tired of these parasite stories.

The Washington Wild Things are using Bonds to garner attention upon themselves. Marc Ecko buys a Bonds ball to draw attention to himself.

Blatant low class opportunism.

As a grad student in marketing, I would wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif It's good strategy if it sells more tickets.

I'm just sick of the Bonds talk. I don't care. I've heard on ESPN radio people upset that we're at war, but we still waste money on Bonds. I don't care about opinions on that at all, but obviously one is a lot more important news wise than the other.

I totally agree with the waste of time on where he'll play. Before this it was questionable at best if he would play. I agree the Wild Things wanted attention -- but can Bonds pass up having a host family?

I'm just sick of the Bonds talk. I don't care. I've heard on ESPN radio people upset that we're at war, but we still waste money on Bonds. I don't care about opinions on that at all, but obviously one is a lot more important news wise than the other.

then why did you post, you must care a little, otherwise you would stay away?

It's good strategy if it sells more tickets.

Perhaps, Kegstand. . .but it's a completely unoriginal idea that has been hacked around for years by these miniscule little franchises trying to make names for themselves.

And how many tickets are they really going to move after such a "zany and wacky" stunt? I would guess that most Indy league teams sell their tickets on a walk-up basis, or a couple of days out--or to groups. Will they really sell tickets for 2008 games in November 2007? Are they even for sale now?

I'm as peeved by the lameness of the idea as them taking advantage of Bonds being in the news.

I've ripped on Ecko a number of times on this board for his shamelessness, so I'll leave it at that.

This stuff reminds me of the people who host Super Bowl parties in the host city, advertising that so-and-so athlete will be there, when the athlete has no intention of going to the event. The event planners just take advantage of a person's celebrity to try to profit themselves.

i have to refute your scorn for ecko. isn't it possible that he is simply a fan of baseball who has the money to show where he stands on a huge issue in the sport? do you really think ecko spent all that money to try to draw attention to himself? i think there are plenty of people out there who, if they could afford it, would do something of that ilk. mark cuban has been a part of many such shenanigans, does he seem to care about publicity or his image? again, it can be argued both ways: i can understand that you may not like the fact that in this society one can purchase a piece of history and - perhaps in some opinions - deface it and then donate it to the hall of fame, accordingly, but that's life in the 21st century. and so is shamelessly appropriating a famous person's image in an effort to promote one's minor league baseball team.

flosses, the evidence on Ecko suggests otherwise.

He staged a stunt last year where he made it appear (with his own video crew) that he was tagging Air Force One. What was that, if not a publicity stunt, done to draw attention to himself?

Since he bought the ball, he's been on The Today Show, Nightline, Mtv, ESPN. He's been in countless news articles and drawn thousands of people to his voting site.

And where's the ball? It's not in Cooperstown yet. Wouldn't someone who you describe as "simply a fan" have done what he said he would do and donated it already?

I'm not against people having money, or people spending money on historical objects. That trade has been going on forever. But Ecko, and now this Indy league team are using someone else's celebrity to profit (or try to profit).

That just seems leechy to me--and worthy of my spending a few minutes ripping into their lack of class.

Archived