Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom and i must have gotten the same e-mail. As previously stated, it's an even swap of SLG for OBP, with maybe a smidge of improvement behind the plate.

I've seen a wide range of estimates, so it will be interesting to see what he got, could be anywhere from 1y/$2M to 3y/$15M.

In an earlier blog entry, Transitive Property made it sound like this was going to be either a 1 or 2 year deal, which made me happy. I could live with 2 years/$7-8 mil, but the third year at the same rate would have been killer. I like the signing - it potentially raises team OBP, which was the Brewers' biggest weakness on offense in '07. Doesn't help the defense much, which is saying something, but it certainly doesn't make the defense worse. And this signing goes a little way to making the roster more Yost-proof.

If part of the reason they traded johnny is that they didn't want to pay him 4 million + in arbritration, id guess we are in the 2 years 7-8 million range.

question is where does he bat, i am hoping for 7th, but i could see Ned batting him 2nd and dropping JJ down.

And this signing goes a little way to making the roster more Yost-proof.

The neverending quest...

But does offering him Kendall to bat in the 2-hole really make the squad any more safe? Details tonight at 11.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One year plus option is cool, pending the dollars of course...could be way off here but I'd guess $3+M guaranteed with the max possible value around $8M. Reminds me of Rod Barajas: first year at $2.5M, option (which was declined) $5M, with $500K buyout. Or, of course, a shorter version of the Miller deal. Compare the low end deal for a decrepit backup: Lieberthal at $1.25M + option for $1.4M.

For me it's Kendall over Estrada any day for next year. Whatever the team does accomplish next year, I don't think having Kendall instead of Estrada makes the team any worse.

The one year with the option is the best way to go.

Instead of being force fed Estrada in the #5 spot, it's time to be force fed Kendell in the #2 spot. Ack. I think a .330 OBP is more likely than a .360 OBP at this point in Kendell's career. Here's my guess for 2008:

.265/.335/.335

Looks like #8 slot material to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If he bats #2......I will just.....just.....bite my pillow!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

With the potential for Counsell, Kendall and Hall in a lineup, I think Double Hockey Sticks, or DHS Lineup, is apt; or even just the LL Lineup.

File 'em in the same part of the bf.net lexicon as "forfeit lineup" or "JV lineup."

I'm looking forward to determining the Brewers' other catcher so we can coin a Counselninoesque term to describe the platoon.

Incredibly, "counselninoesque" is not in my spell checker.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived