Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Kendell USED to be the man until he left Pittsburgh. I also know that he still hustles (at least double the effort that Estrada put out). So he would be a bit of an improvement. I'd be willing to give it a shot. He couldn't be WORSE than Estrada, could he?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I honestly just think this is the next step in the process. I wouldnt look for any sort of MAJOR trades or signings this year.

I think we start building depth with Major League Vets, established players who have been in the bush before and know what to do in situations. A guy who if he isnt starting will be a very good situational hitter.

If the first half of 2007 would have never happened for some strange reason, people would be very excited about this seemingly impending signing. Kendall does not hit enough to be anything but an emergency OF/2B, but he can play there, which has benefits, albeit seldom. For a C, he has a nice OBP.

Yeah, but I don't think you can basically ignore the first half of 2007 either. It's part of his record, good or ill. Overall, 2007 wasn't a good year for Kendall.

That said, it's obvious that the Brewers have soured on Estrada. Apparently there is a reason Estrada is apparently on his way to his 5th organization with only 7 seasons under his belt. And if Kendall signs cheaply, it's a reasonable risk to take that there is at least some bounceback in him. And, at the very least, at least Yost won't be tempted to hit Kendall 5th for some obtuse reason.

Robert

Man alive, go back and find the Cubs trade for Kendall thread from the season, and it's laughable how many people joked as if it would make the Cubs worse, not better. Now, all of a sudden Kendall is a decent target because he's linked to the Brewers, and is a high OBP guy...if you take out the first half of last year? Come on. The guy had a terrible year all around, he did well after being traded to the Cubs. But how much better defensively is he than Estrada? I thought I heard Estrada was last in throwing out runners and Kendall was second to last. That to me, sounds like a questionable target for Melvin.

If the first half of 2007 would have never happened for some strange reason, people would be very excited about this seemingly impending signing. Kendall does not hit enough to be anything but an emergency OF/2B, but he can play there, which has benefits, albeit seldom. For a C, he has a nice OBP.
Yeah, but I don't think you can basically ignore the first half of 2007 either. It's part of his record, good or ill. Overall, 2007 wasn't a good year for Kendall.

That said, it's obvious that the Brewers have soured on Estrada. Apparently there is a reason Estrada is apparently on his way to his 5th organization with only 7 seasons under his belt. And if Kendall signs cheaply, it's a reasonable risk to take that there is at least some bounceback in him. And, at the very least, at least Yost won't be tempted to hit Kendall 5th for some obtuse reason.

Robert

Of course Yost won't bat him 5th, he's set in stone at #2!

Man alive, go back and find the Cubs trade for Kendall thread from the season, and it's laughable how many people joked as if it would make the Cubs worse, not better. Now, all of a sudden Kendall is a decent target because he's linked to the Brewers, and is a high OBP guy...if you take out the first half of last year? Come on. The guy had a terrible year all around, he did well after being traded to the Cubs. But how much better defensively is he than Estrada? I thought I heard Estrada was last in throwing out runners and Kendall was second to last. That to me, sounds like a questionable target for Melvin.

...but did the Cubs actually get better or worse after the Kendall trade? I'm not exactly enamored with the signing if it does happen, but Kendall is a veteran MLB catcher. I'm sure he still knows most of the hitters in the division, which helps with the pitching staff, and he'd hit well enough to justify a spot at the bottom of the lineup. And while I'd rather have Kendall and Estrada as backstops, it appears that signing Kendall will allow the Brewers to deal Johnny, and hopefully shore up a hole somewhere else in the lineup.

Odd note: away from his home stadia, Kendall has been about the player one would expect from '05-07: .291 / .354 / .341 / .695. His home / road split is .060 OPS higher away from Network Associates (& Wrigley), and even more dramatic last season. I don't know that it's all that significant....but that's usually one of the things we look at when assessing a player's value.

I was certainly among the mockers when the Cubs got Kendall. But he helped them and performed well enough that I'd say I was wrong. With an old catcher there's a serious risk...but I don't think that stats tell the whole story here. This is where you need scouts to give some insight...have his skills and body deteriorated to the point where the cliff is in view? Could he respond well to a reduced workload? (Say 115 games, with the balance to a RH hitter.) The Brewers saw Estrada up close and must have answers to those questions for him...presumably they've scouted Kendall enough to have answers they like at least a little bit better.

There's risk, to be sure, and to me it boils down to the contract...Estrada in arby is essentially a one year deal, maybe 1/$4-5M? To sign Kendall they might have to go two years, maybe with an option. Say they could sign him to a deal like Rod Barajas (1/$3M with a $5M option)...I'm all over that. The Zaun or Miller deals (2/$7M ish with options)...that would be ok, even adding some dollars for inflation. A guaranteed third year, no way.

Now watch the Brewers give him the Molina deal (3/$16M).

I agree with the ascertion that it is a fairly lateral move, but not enough is being said about the negative influence of Estrada in the clubhouse. There is a reason why he is a team-jumper from year to year...it's not by his choice. It is true that Kendall does call a good game, and we can only hope that his bat re-emerges and he can resurrect his Pittsburgh mojo with us.

A Brewers insider told me that another clubhouse 'cancer' is Tony Gwynn Jr. I know it may shock some on here, but word is he thinks he's his father in terms of talent. He thinks he is an everyday CF and lets it be known. I would not be shocked if he's included as a "top prospect" in a deal this off-season.

this is going off the thread, but i am fine if they want to get rid of Gwynn. If he have commited to Hall for 3 more seasons, Gwynn really has no role on teh team cause he can't be in right or left with his power numbers. He's fine to be here for a pinch runner or a defensive replacement, but i haven't seen much that would say he is a everyday player.

Trying to think about the difference between Kendall and Estrada is making my head hurt. What I really would like in a case like this is a plus/minus stat like they have in the NHL, and how Coach Krystowiak uses it for the Bucks. I wonder if it could be helpful in judging catchers?

Aside from the off the field stuff and abilty to call a game that I laid out 5 pages ago, another factor everyone is overlooking is the fact that Kendall will be able to score from 2nd base on a single. Johnny couldn't do that with a rocket strapped to his back. And Kendall will be on base more often.

Aside from the off the field stuff and abilty to call a game that I laid out 5 pages ago, another factor everyone is overlooking is the fact that Kendall will be able to score from 2nd base on a single. Johnny couldn't do that with a rocket strapped to his back. And Kendall will be on base more often.

Brewer Fever, that is an excellent point. Wasn't that the reasoning that the Brewers used when they decided to not sign Bengie Molina? I thought I read somewhere that they were afraid he would slow down their offense or something. That must have not been a factor when they acquired Estrada.

Kendall was downright awful with the A's last year for 2/3 of the season. In fact other than 83 AB's in August he was awfull all year. He followed up that August with a .279 OBP in Sept. Not good. He is old and worn down why should anyone believe he going to revert to himself of 5 years ago?

And Laird? He had a whopping .278 OBP last year. He hit LH's well in 2006 which helped his stats but regressed in 2007 and has never done well against RH pitching, he's a career .277 OBP against RHers with a .615 OPS.

If you hate Estrada you are going to hate Laird and Kendall.

I have a feeling we're going to give this guys $8 - $10 million a year...never thought I'd say this...give me Estrada. I'd rather spend the money on the bullpen.

Hopefully DM and Kendall have determined he's not worth $8 - $10/year.

I don't really know enough on the subject to comment, but if someone did some legwork on incremental runs (or EqHAR), etc. (I know Dan Fox did a while back), there's likely a pretty sizable difference between Kendall and Estrada in them. Like I said, I know next to nothing on this, so I'm looking at you, Russ and end. I read the articles, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

As others have pointed out, I think they definitely upgrade in terms of getting on base at the position, and then scoring once getting there (provided on lineup placement of Kendall). However, they do lose a fair amount of SLG from the position, Kendall's got Gwynnesque power.

I will honestly say the only reason I'm really in support of this is that I think Estrada is just god awful, not that Kendall is "the answer". The WOAHs still aren't SOLVDD at the position. The best thing would be picking up a young catcher as a backup, and hopefully that's the plan.

Has anyone seen any news about J.R. House this offseason? I believe he declined the Orioles assignment and became a free agent. He had a nice comeback year in AAA and is still relatively young. May be a good one to take a flyer on. (Feel free to move this to another thread if I'm veering too far off subject.)

I like Kendal and yet I don't. Kendal at this point in his stage is like signing Damian Miller 3 years ago. However at the same time though he has the bigger backround, bigger name, better skills in getting on base etc. I would almost rather just keep Estrada and see if he has his come back and does decent. However that may not happen, or at least thats what Melvin is thinking.

I don't really know enough on the subject to comment, but if someone did some legwork on incremental runs (or EqHAR), etc. (I know Dan Fox did a while back), there's likely a pretty sizable difference between Kendall and Estrada in them. Like I said, I know next to nothing on this, so I'm looking at you, Russ and end. I read the articles, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

As others have pointed out, I think they definitely upgrade in terms of getting on base at the position, and then scoring once getting there (provided on lineup placement of Kendall). However, they do lose a fair amount of SLG from the position, Kendall's got Gwynnesque power.

I will honestly say the only reason I'm really in support of this is that I think Estrada is just god awful, not that Kendall is "the answer". The WOAHs still aren't SOLVDD at the position. The best thing would be picking up a young catcher as a backup, and hopefully that's the plan.

I'd need to actually look, but kidding Robert aside Kendall can actually bat 8th. Estrada couldn't because you couldn't trust him to get to 2B on a bunt.

Archived