Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj

Tiger, I would be happy with it as well. Kendall brings at the least comparable defense with the potential to carry a much higher OBP. He also hopefully won't be too tempting for Yost to bat him higher than 8th - though I could see him slotted second in a nightmare scenario.

And then whatever we get for Estrada is gravy. Might grab a solid bullpen arm out of it.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And then whatever we get for Estrada is gravy. Might grab a solid bullpen arm out of it.

This is how I'm going to judge the deal. If we can get a solid bullpen arm or something decent for Estrada then I'll be okay with it. If not then I'm not happy especially if Kendall has another .610 OPS year like he had this year.

actually, slotting Kendall 2nd makes a lot of sense. Then Hardy can hit 5th or 6th, since his patience hasn't really blossomed yet. Really, I like Hardy hitting 2nd, but with Braun, Fielder, Hall, and Hart hitting behind Kendall and Weeks, we have a pretty potent lineup. Suddenly Hardy would be hitting 7th or 8th!

actually, slotting Kendall 2nd makes a lot of sense. Then Hardy can hit 5th or 6th, since his patience hasn't really blossomed yet. Really, I like Hardy hitting 2nd, but with Braun, Fielder, Hall, and Hart hitting behind Kendall and Weeks, we have a pretty potent lineup. Suddenly Hardy would be hitting 7th or 8th!

I would want somebody else like if we signed Kenny Lofton or traded for someone like Randy Winn, Austin Kearns or Luke Scott batting 2nd before Kendall. Especially if Kendall only has a .301 OBP like he did this year.

I'm expecting our LF/3B/CF acqusition is the one that will slot into the #2 hole. In fact, I'd line them up like this: (and for fun, our hot rumor in the parenthesis)

2B Weeks

LF Johnny Onbase (Kelly Johnson)

3B Braun

1B Prince

RF Hart (CF)

CF Hall (RF Francouer)

SS Hardy

P Gallardo

C Kendall

Kendall's walks are going to be realitvely useless ahead of the pitcher, and when he does get a hit its not a very good one. I think he's the prototypical guy to bat 9th behind the pitcher, if one was ever to use that philosophy.

Kendall brings at the least comparable defense

Comparably abysmal? Actually, I fully expect Kendall's defense to be worse ... at least his arm. And, in my opinion, he's washed up offensively. AND, Yost is not capable of picking a spot in the lineup for him with any methodology other than looking at where other managers have previously slotted him. Say hello to your new leadoff or #2 hitter. This is one giant step backwards for brewerfans, and one collasal leap back to unacceptable suckery for brewerfankind. C'mon Melvin, focus on some actual improvements for this team. Like that bullpen you never, ever want to address with anything other than scrap heap crappola.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'm shocked that no one has realized this yet, but it's pretty darn obvious to me. The fact that Melvin is interested in catchers who would be lateral changes from Estrada in terms of offense and defense, indicate to me that Estrada is a giant negative in two other aspects. The Brewers coaches and brass must view him as a huge negative calling a game and even moreso as a presence in the clubhouse. So you look to see if you can add a guy who while may be no improvement at the plate or behind the dish, can at least call a better game, and be less of a cancer in the lockeroom. We've seen glimpses and heard whispers that Estrada is a thorny character and at times butts heads with coaches. Where there's smoke there's fire. To me it's the only logical reason for going after guys who don't offer much improvement in the areas everyone is locked in on. But if he can be replaced by a catcher who calls a better game and fits in better with team chemistry, then the move makes sense.

We're not looking at paying a sizable sum to a Kendall or a Torrealba to be a backup. Melvin is seeing if he can get one of those guys in the fold so he can dump Estrada.

Wow. Hardicourt's article sure sounds a lot like what I posted here. Gotta pat my own back a little here since no one else acknowledged it.

I am very unimpressed with this potential signing. Kendall is an absolutely awful player. I really hope if we sign him that its not more than a one yr deal for 2 million or less. I really think Melvin has lost it as a GM and at this point I have lost almost all faith in the guy.

I really hope if we sign him that its not more than a one yr deal for 2 million or less.

I am not a big fan of signing Kendall -- Like others, I see him at best as a lateral move from Estrada -- I suppose I will like him

better, but I am not sure that will translate into wins. There are 2 situations that I can see this being a positive move.

1.) Contract. If we can sign Kendall for 1 year 2 million, then that would be super cool -- Estrada made 3.5 last year, so we

would see some savings on a lateral talent move -- however I am VERY dubious that this would happen -- since 2000 Kendall

has averaged 145+ games per year, and was paid $12M last year. Damian Miller got $2.25M last year to catch ~60 games.

Ultimately -- I think we will be spending more to make our lateral move.

2.) If this was a Tomo Ohka-type situation -- Last year DM surprised a lot of us by not offering Ohka Arby's, and that

turned out to be the right move. If Estrada is in worse shape now than he was last year, then a move like this makes

some sense, I would hope we could aim a little higher than Kendall though.

I don't want Kendall to be signed for big money, as he clearly is not the player he once was. Even so, I would absolutely welcome him over Johnny Estrada.

Perhaps Kendall wouldn't be an improvement over Estrada defensively, but honestly, I'll have to see someone do worse than Johnny did to believe it. I think this is a lateral defensive move at worst. Offensively, they are very different players, but if the organization's stated goal was to add OBP, this move will absolutely do that.

Kendall's days as a .400 OBP guy are most likely over, but I'd bet he puts up a minimum of .340, with .360 still a realistic possibility. Estrada has walked 25 times over the last two seasons, Kendall walked 19 times in 57 games with the Cubs last year.

I have no idea what Estrada is like, of course, but I do recall him on many occasions sitting on the bench long after the game was over talking to Prince, who is known for taking losses especially hard. I'll take the OBP Kendall provides, and run with it, but Johnny played hurt and never made it public until after the season. As with so many catchers, his numbers aren't very good until you look at other backstops. It's not a job for the faint of heart.

With the Cubs Kendall batted .270 with an OBP of .362. From what I can see he has only had an OPB of less than .350 twice in his career. In 2006 his number were .295 and .367. No, he doesnt hit for any power but if he gets on base who cares. His walks are at or above his strikeouts every year almost which seems to fit the need for an OBP guy in this lineup. Is he great? No, but I do think he can help this team. I was never an anti-Estrada guy and I could live with him coming back, but I like the idea of having an on base guy. His .362 OBP he has with Chicago would have been 4th highest well behind fielder but just behind Braun and Weeks. I say if we can get him cheap take a shot.

I'd literally keep them both and use them every other game. That way they're always fresh. I think their defense improves enough to count somewhat and health wouldn't be nearly an issue. I'd even keep Munson or Rivera because Kendall can be a pinch hitter in a tight situation with the game on the line.

I read Kendall calls a good game, but I also heard he can throw anyone out. Is he the same liability that Estrada was/is in terms of base stealing?

I do agree with Tbadder that Kendall may not be an everyday guy and with catchers it is nice to keep them fresh. I dont know if Estrada is the guy to keep around to spell him or if there is someone else though.

They won't keep both Estrada and Kendall for financial reasons alone. While Kendall shouldn't cost too much, figure he's going to get at least lower end starter money (around $4-$5 million per over 2 years or so) which is in the range of what Estrada would get in arbitration. The combo of those guys isn't worth the total of $9-10 million.

When I first read of Kendall I thought no way....yuck....but as I have looked at the state of catching in the majors I have now signed on to adding Kendall. He is only one year removed from being a pretty decent offensive player....the pest we recall when he was with Pittsburgh. He also only threw out about 15% of runners but two years ago he threw out 30%...even the great McCann only threw out 19%. Part of the reason may have to do with the fact that only Russell Martin caught more innings than Kendall last year. At 33-34 I'm not sure he should've been asked to do that. I really can't speak for his ability to call a game but I think it is fair to say he would be as good as Estrada, and his integrity and other intangibles are supposedly very high. I can recall my own frustration watching Estrada play a somewhat aloof game behind the plate and swing at over 50% of the first pitch thrown. He just doesn't have the leadership that you hope to get at the C position. Kendall would likely bat 8th and provide a tough out prior to our pitcher. Kendall probably can't catch everyday but I think he would be a positive role model and with he, Simba, and Yost(ok chuckle if you wish) we should be able to manage a staff pretty well.

If we can find a decent backup even someone who can do what Miller did last year, I am all for Kendall. He fits a need of being able to get on base, and manage a staff. We dont need him to be a power guy since we have a good amount of those already. As long as the price around the 2 year 8 million range give or take a million I would be happy.

Archived