Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj

I don't think they're looking to pay a sizable sum to anyone, from the sounds of it. I think they're looking at replacements for Miller, and those guys are arguably considerable step-ups from his production at least offensively.

Obviously, if they sign a guy and dump Estrada, then that's totally wrong, but I'm predicting that doesn't happen. JMO, of course.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way free agency is, the kind of money we'd be paying any of those guys is far more than I would think the Brewers would be paying for a backup. Especially with so many more glaring needs than backup catcher. We have a bullpen to rebuild and a major need for a LF.

From brewers.com...

"A career .297 hitter in 12 seasons, and considered a superior game-caller behind the plate, Kendall is seeking an opportunity to start, according to the source."

"The Brewers are exploring options behind the plate, but would have to decide whether Kendall is an upgrade over 2007 starter Johnny Estrada, who has one more year of arbitration eligibility before he becomes a free agent."

To me this quote from Melvin is most-telling...

"Johnny Estrada is still on the roster. It is one of our positions that we are looking at seriously to see if there is some change that might improve the ballclub or would make some sense. It's a tough position."

Johnny is still on the roster, followed by we're looking to improve there.

Not exactly along the lines of Johnny is our catcher and he's gonna be here next year...or even we're just looking to add depth there.

Another point to consider is the fact that Ted Simmons must have been heavily focused on the Rockies, Cubs, and Brewers players as an advance scout for the Padres down the stretch last year. Think Torrealba, Kendall, and Estrada. Those teams and obviously a few others were all potential post season matchups for San Diego. And as a former catcher what does Simmons know best, catching of course. My guess is that Melvin and Yost picked his brain and Simmons wasn't impressed with Estrada, and thinks a guy like Kendall brings more overall. If all a guy brings is a bat, but calls a bad game, doesn't hustle, has no speed to begin with, is terrible defensively, can't throw runners out, and lastly doesn't mesh well in the clubhouse, it's not hard to believe that a guy who does many of those things better and in other areas is pretty much equal is a better overall player. Besides that Johnny didn't even excel in the one area he was supposed to and that is at the plate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I always remember players and coaches liking Kendall's ability to handle the staff and call a game.

Did anyone watch him much lately? He only threw out 15% of runners last year, but in 2006, it was 30%. In 2005 it was 18%, and from 2000-2004 he was between 27-36%. So, he's done better - but I'm wondering if his arm is really falling off, or was last year more fluky?

Catchers don't control much of the running game, pitchers do. It's probably a 75/25 split, pitchers more vital, but C's get 99% of the blame. It's another way I judge someone's knowledge of the game, if they are yelling about the catcher's arm after an accurate throw, they are strictly casuals.

Catchers don't control much of the running game, pitchers do. It's probably a 75/25 split, pitchers more vital, but C's get 99% of the blame.

Because over the course of a season a catcher only catches from one pitcher, right? CS% generally evens out over an entire year, and correlates very well from season to season according to a study I read, suggesting it measures mostly the catchers abilities.

EDIT: Here's the study.

Gee, that was kind of condescending.

I am sorry. I was genuinely astonished to learn that you had multiple methods and manners for judging people.

I certainly did not intend to imply that a sophisticated series of questions constructed to judge fans "casual"

or "non-casual" was a bad thing.

People should probably be made aware of their casual nature so they can improve it -- it makes for a better society.

Sam, what I'm saying is, if your staff does not hold runners on, you don't have much chance, as SD proved in '07. Maddux has never held on runners, and the C still gets blamed. Better throwers will have better numbers though, in the long run, of course. But, watching a game at a ballpark, the catcher always gets the blame, doesn't matter if the guy was 2/3rd's of the way there when the pitcher released the ball or not.

As I said on Ramblings, Drew Olson told me the JS has a "no rumors" policy. If Tom is saying it, it will probably happen.

It might be the next question is whether Estrada is offered arby. I would think he'd have value as a $4M C, but coming back from surgery, he may not be worth the risk, I s'pose.

I could see a split between the two more than Kendall or Estrada being the primary receiver. Both of them together, not getting overworked, with Ned playing the hot hand at times might be the best way around the league wide crappy catching situation. If one of them clearly outperfroms the other then all the better. Ulitimately catching is a position with few good answers right now.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If the Brewers sign Kendall before the Dec. 1 deadline to offer arby, they might be able to quick deal Estrada away to a club who would be willing to offer him arby. That might be part of the reason the Brewers are hurrying on the Kendall signing. (Not that they'll get a heck of a lot for a catcher coming off two off-season surgeries.)

Why hurry up and sign Kendall by Dec 1st and give the Cubs a free draft choice?

Do you think there is a chance that the Cubs won't offer Kendall arby? I'd rather get something for Estrada and give the Cubs a sandwich pick now as opposed not get anything for Carne and likely have the Cubs get a sandwich pick anyway.

Theoretically the Brewers could have both Kendall and Estrada. Kendall has played a solid LF in the past. While he's light in the power department, he wouldn't strike out much and would carry a nice OBP. Theoretically he could play some LF and log lots of time at catcher. Gross and Estrada could pick up the other innings at the spots

Why hurry up and sign Kendall by Dec 1st and give the Cubs a free draft choice?

Someone will sign Kendall. Cubs will get a pick for him one way or the other.

I guess I had not considered that as an option, and while it has some appeal, I can't imagine Kendall signing with a team that did not promise him 120 games.

I agree. Kendall made 12 million last year -- I can't imagine a scenario where he gets paid less then Estrada.

I suspect if Kendall gets signed Estrada hits the road.

Looks like the Prince of Darkness is burning the midnight oil to keep us all updated on Jason Kendall.

In fact, if Melvin has his way, the deal will be done before Thanksgiving Day

And shortly thereafter in the blog entry:

Signing Kendall would certainly signal the looming exodus of Johnny Estrada, who apparently didn't show enough -- on or on the field -- to make the Brewers excited about bringing him back for a second season. The Brewers probably would deal Estrada, and not ask for much in return, to another club if they sign Kendall.

Archived