Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj

For the record, Kendall in the 2 spot for his career prior to 2007:

.300/.376/.421 in over 1,200 AB's.

Those are very good numbers though I wouldn't pencil him in there if they acquire the LH bat with on base skills to play LF. However if they end up with a Gross/Dillon platoon, I could see using Kendall in that spot vs. lefties.

Besides, Kendall in the 8th spot has hit nearly as well. Again prior to 2007, his numbers in that spot:

.298/.376/.399.

Hardy should hit 6th or 7th where he doesn't have to worry about working the count as much.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get Estrada starting the season batting fifth last year. I thought, like most others, that was about as ridiculous as you could get.

However, given Kendall's on-base skills throughout his career and his ability to handle the bat (make contact, hit with two strikes, situation hitting, going the other way, etc.) I really have no problem with him batting second. I really don't think that it the worst scenario in the world, as his OBP could be the better ones posted on the entire team.

If the Brewers felt Kendall was the best option out there, it shows you just how bad the market was, and probably also shows you how little they considered Michael Barrett.

ZiPS has Kendall projected at .257 / .332 / .313. Yuck. Of course any weighted system will put a heavy emphasis on his crappy 2007 numbers...if there's some reason to believe his first half was a fluke, you might come to a more optimistic conclusion.

If he weren't a 33 year old catcher, I would be more inclined to label 2007 a fluke year. That said, I'll take a guy who has been decent at some point in the recent past than someone who's never been good. Of course, I'll need to see the terms of his contract before I can really judge this signing. If it

s 2 years (I'm assuming the option year is easy to vest), $ 3 mil/year, no big deal.

If the Brewers felt Kendall was the best option out there, it shows you just how bad the market was, and probably also shows you how little they considered Michael Barrett.

I definitely got the impression that they liked Michael Barrett, but not enough to give up the 1st for him. Can't say that I really disagree with that.

If he'd have been a type B, I think Melvin would have made a big push for him, but that's just IMO.

My issue with Kendall hitting second is based on one thing - and it's not Kendall's skills.

I figure Kendall will catch about 120 games next year, and whoever the other catcher is, that player is not likely to have the skills of a 2 hitter. This means, for roughly 1/4 of the schedule, the Brewers have to do some major lineup shuffling to accommodate Kendall hitting in the 2 spot. I worry that they'd put Hardy back up there, which he is not particularly suited for. Hart could do it, but then who hits fifth?

The 5 spot is too important, somebody needs to be there to make teams pay when they pitch around Prince, that somebody is Corey Hart. If Kendall hits second, who takes that spot when he's not in the lineup?

I think it's best to fill the 2 spot with either a left-fielder or a third baseman (whichever spot Braun does not play) and just leave that player in there.

Please do not spin this thread off onto this topic - there are threads for this in the trade rumors forum - but, now we want a left-fielder, who hits left-handed, has decent OBP skills, at least some power, and the ability to fill the second spot in the lineup....does that sound like Carl Crawford to you?

My issue with Kendall hitting second is based on one thing - and it's not Kendall's skills.

I figure Kendall will catch about 120 games next year, and whoever the other catcher is, that player is not likely to have the skills of a 2 hitter. This means, for roughly 1/4 of the schedule, the Brewers have to do some major lineup shuffling to accommodate Kendall hitting in the 2 spot. I worry that they'd put Hardy back up there, which he is not particularly suited for. Hart could do it, but then who hits fifth?

The 5 spot is too important, somebody needs to be there to make teams pay when they pitch around Prince, that somebody is Corey Hart. If Kendall hits second, who takes that spot when he's not in the lineup?

I think it's best to fill the 2 spot with either a left-fielder or a third baseman (whichever spot Braun does not play) and just leave that player in there.

Please do not spin this thread off onto this topic - there are threads for this in the trade rumors forum - but, now we want a left-fielder, who hits left-handed, has decent OBP skills, at least some power, and the ability to fill the second spot in the lineup....does that sound like Carl Crawford to you?

I can't disagree with your logic here.

We're not getting Carl Crawford. I don't think we have what it takes to get him, and if we do, it won't be worth it. Weeks would be perfect in the #2 spot, so we could get a leadoff man instead. Kenny Lofton comes to mind. We could get him for one year and he wouldn't block LaPorta. He is left-handed, has good OBP skills, and would provide some veteran leadership as well.

but, now we want a left-fielder, who hits left-handed, has decent OBP skills, at least some power, and the ability to fill the second spot in the lineup....does that sound like Carl Crawford to you?

It sounds more like Adam Dunn to me. But I'll take Crawford if that doesn't work out.

All I've got here is one big "MEH!"

In 2007, our over-30 former All-Star catcher had OK power (as catchers go), but wasn't patient enough at the plate. Defensively? Couldn't throw out my father-in-law, and he no longer roams the earth. Speed? None. But I WILL say that he was hurt, and could bounce back to a more respectable performance in '08. Still, he wasn't helping, and if his attitude WAS negative, then that's another minus, albeit not a deal-breaker.

In 2008, our over-30, former All-Star catcher will have about as good a chance at homering as Ben Sheets, and his BA and OPS has often been so bad in recent years, that he could almost make me pine for the halcyon days of Henry Blanco. I did say "almost." Defensively? Almost as weak an arm as Estrada. Speed? Some, but he has caught an awful lot of innings in his career, so I don't even expect him to attempt more 3-4 next year. Did injury hamper his performance last year? Nothing significant that I've heard. Is his attitude good? Maybe...whatever.

So, until we know how much moolah Kendall got, this week started with the hope (albeit a somewhat remore hope), that Estrada could rebound from his injuries to become a better all-around catcher next year.

Now, we got an older catcher with no power, not better defensively, and one whose freefalling batting average is hampering his OBP, which is all he has left.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. We also got Turnbow's older brother for the bullpen. To me, Mota's a guy who had been busted for taking performance enhancing chemicals, who throws really hard, but who's capable these days of an ERA near 6.

With that crate still in LF ever since Lee was traded, and a closer who filed for free agency and won't return our calls, Doug CAN'T possibly be done, so I'm waiting for the next moves before getting riled up here.

But this week's transactions?

Meh.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

That was sbrylski. I really am intrigued by it, but I just kinda feel like the same effect takes place no matter where you slot the P. Basically, where do you want your offensive black hole? Hopefully others that are more well-versed in this can weigh in, but for me it seems like it doesn't matter a whole lot if you slot the P 8 or 9.

I like the Kendall - to - Weeks notion, but then what about the Hardy - to - P sequence? Sbryl, if you please...

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The goal of that philosophy is to maximize the production of your 1-2-3 hitters. After the first inning, its always the pitcher hitting in front of them, and he rarely gets on base. By moving that out aside, and sticking in a guy with a decent OBP 9th, you'll have quite a few more baserunners for the 1 and 2 hitters. The question then is where is the out (the pitcher) least harmful? Putting the pitcher 8th, you lose a chance to drive in the 6 and 7 hitters - placed 9th you suppress the amount of baserunners for the top of the order to drive in, generally your better hitters. Being that your 6 and 7 hitters probably don't have the best OBP, it actually might make some logical sense to bat the pitcher 8th.

I think Kendall profiles perfectly into a 9th hitter, is that his OBP/SLG are at relative extremes, which maximizes the benefit while minimizing the downside. Overall, he's not one you'd really want to take a relatively large amount of your team's PA, so he fits near the bottom of the order. But he can potentially carry a very respectable OBP, thus maximizing the benefit of putting him 9th. Also, he has a tiny SLG, and a rather average BA. Therefore, it minimizes the harm caused by taking away opportunities to drive in runs batting 8th, as he's more likely to take a fairly meaningless walk then drive any runs in.

Is that coherent?

EDIT: I've seen statistical studies that support this theory as beneficial, though the benefit in general is likely very small.

But I WILL say that he was hurt, and could bounce back to a more respectable performance in '08.

Not to single you out, but how about we knock him for being chronically injured rather than assume he'll be better when healthy? Like many here do with Sheets.

ZiPS has Kendall projected at .257 / .332 / .313. Yuck. Of course any weighted system will put a heavy emphasis on his crappy 2007 numbers...if there's some reason to believe his first half was a fluke, you might come to a more optimistic conclusion.

If he weren't a 33 year old catcher, I would be more inclined to label 2007 a fluke year. That said, I'll take a guy who has been decent at some point in the recent past than someone who's never been good. Of course, I'll need to see the terms of his contract before I can really judge this signing. If it

s 2 years (I'm assuming the option year is easy to vest), $ 3 mil/year, no big deal.

Kendall's WS by year since 2004 - 25, 14, 23, 7

Estrada's WS by year since 2004 - 20, 9, 14, 7

Kendall has been as good or better than Estrada 4 years running in my book. OPS hates guys like Kendall because it overvalues SLG and undervalues OBP.

Lets be honest.....after 14 pages and a lot of discussion....looking at the numbers is signing Jason Kendall really that bad? Estrada made me shiver every time he came to the plate and even a minimal (by a fraction) Upgrade makes me happy. Even though his crazy fingers at the plate annoy me.

to me it doesn't really matter if its kendall or estrada. Both are bad, both can't hit, both can't throw runners out. If kendall can work the count, draw walks, do small things like move runners over it will be an upgrade. Estrada has more pop, but thats not what this line up needs, it has enough of that in it.

OPS hates guys like Kendall because it overvalues SLG and undervalues OBP.

Well sure but you have to draw the line somewhere. If Kendell has a SLG of .310, a .350 OBP doesn't automatically make his overall production good. Do I think he'll be better than Estrada? Sure but that isn't saying much.

On a side note, do you have a soft spot for catchers or something? This is the second mediocre catcher you seem to be willing to defend to your grave. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

OPS hates guys like Kendall because it overvalues SLG and undervalues OBP.

Well sure but you have to draw the line somewhere. If Kendell has a SLG of .310, a .350 OBP doesn't automatically make his overall production good. Do I think he'll be better than Estrada? Sure but that isn't saying much.

On a side note, do you have a soft spot for catchers or something? This is the second mediocre catcher you seem to be willing to defend to your grave. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

No, people just overrated Cs in general. There are 4 or 5 good ones in each league and then the Kendall/Estrada types are just like all the others.

Archived