Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jason Kendall -- 1 year/$4.25 mil guaranteed, up to 2 years/$10.25 mil possible

splitterpfj

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same guy who had thrown out something like 3 of 38 baserunners when I was checking up on his stats at the time of his trade to the Cubs last year? And who looked washed up offensively last year? And who will turn 34 years old next season? Yikes, awful news.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I was kind of hoping Melvin was thinking about Michael Barrett when it was mentioned he was targeting FA catchers. Jason Kendall, like paul Lo Duca, does not interest me whatsoever, as both of those players are far too much like what the Brewers already have.

I guess the only reason I could see the Brewers interested in Kendall is if he's willing to sign for less than what Estrada is set to make via arbitration, which is entirely possible.

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I really felt that Estrada's comments to the J-S about his poor play in 2007 were sincere and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially now that Ned (hopefully) understands that Johnny shouldn't be hitting any higher than #7 in the order. Let's give him another shot and see if he proves the nay-sayers wrong.

Let's give him another shot and see if he proves the nay-sayers wrong.

That's all well and good, but DM still has to look at other options. Estrada may not heal, or he may develop more bone spurs in his backside.

Estrada+Kendall would be better than Estrada+Miller

I would think though Col. would make a run at him. -- I would think someone would give him a starting job.

DM may not be sold on Estrada.

If Kendall's contract cost is similar to Estrada, I prefer to have Kendall than Estrada.

Kendall has pretty high OBP throughout his career, his poor OBP for Oakland this year is the exception. After the Cubs trade, he had a pretty good .362 OBP with more BBs than Ks.

Kendall has a really good BB to K ratio, he may be the "professional hitter" the Brewers are looking for abeit without the SLG. I prefer to have Kendall's high OBP than Esrada hacking away to a sub.300 OBP. I also think that Kendall is better than Estrada defensively and has better wheels.

I cant tell you how many times we were complaining about how slow Estrada was moving and how he swung at everything. His baserunning was like that of a 62 year old. I think Kendall is an upgrade if for no other reason - he can run and doesnt swing at every pitch. A guy who knows how to work the count is never a subtraction to your team.

If the Brewers are interested in Kendall to form some sort of semi-platoon situation, then I'm all for it. However, it sounds like they want to sign him with thoughts of replacing Estrada as the starting catcher. In that case, I'd rather just go with a healthy Estrada, playing during a contract year which might motivate him to come back in better shape and have a good come back season.

This move, if it happens, seems like a minor upgrade at best. Given Kendall's inability to stay healthy a platoon situation at best is called for. Once again my catcher mantra--find the best defensive guy who is blocked organizationally.

If Kendall signs with the Brewers and Estrada signs elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see Estrada steal a base off of Kendall while catching Sheets. Any other players with normally a zero chance to steal base should hope to get on base versus Sheets/Kendall. About the only player I would let Kendall catch would be Capuano who keeps runners real close to the bag.

I have to remind myself to say a prayer that Kendall signs elsewhere.

I'm just hoping that Colorado's offer to start will be more enticing than Milwaukee's offer to (presumably) be a backup. I can't really see any benefit to having Kendall on the roster. It's not like he'd even be good for getting "inside information" on the Cubs...he was there for like 3 months.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Doesn't Kendell get on base pretty well? I think he was over .360 OBP with the Cubs in limited playing time. I'll take that out of the catcher's position.

I think the issue is we all want a polished catcher. Not many of those exist, and when they are available they price their way out of the Brewer's budget.

I figure the Brewers should take a chance on either Kendall on Barrett, because both have decent offensive upside, and can be had relatively cheaply.

Archived