Brewer Fanatic

I am very surprised

DHonks

I have yet to read anyone suggest we pull a Philly, and move Sheets to the pen. I'm a huge Sheets supporter and think we need him to win the Series. But I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone comment about moving him there. Then the rotation is Gallardo, Cappy, Suppan, Bush, Parra/Vargas/Villanueva.

I think there's no chance it happens, but I could see it being tossed around on message boards. I think there's a chance that Bush or Parra closes for us before Sheets

It was suggested in the always impressive "letters to the editor" section of the JS sports page but I think it's an absolutely terrible idea. The value of a closer can't compare to that of a starter, even if the starter is only expected to rack up 150 IP. And it's not like the Brewers have Sheets signed long term and are trying to prolong his career. You got him for one more year; get as many innings out of him as possible.

Of course, some other guy wrote in to say that he was still glad the Packers didn't trade for Moss, because of his bad attitude. Yeh, he's been such a distraction in New England. Sometimes I think they pick the silliest letters they can find.

He doesn't have the type of injury history that suggests a move to the bullpen would help. Inner ear problems has nothing to do with starting. His finger injury had nothing to do with starting. The shoulder problem is a concern of course but he has had 1 actual pitching related injury in his entire career so no reason to jump to the conclusion he cannot start anymore.

From what I've heard, he takes a long time to loosen up, and isn't as effective in the early innings. He has to get into a groove first and he gives up the HR's ... that's what I've heard. With that being said, not all SP's can just simply turn into RP's or at least good ones.

I mentioned it in the trade rumors. I'm sure it won't happen, but I was just tossing around the idea. I know he has a ton more value as a SP, but to be honest I really don't think the Brewers can count on him. I'd love for him to trot out every five days in 2008 -- I think it really helps our chances to get to the playoffs. It's just another name I threw out to close and could be a possibility for Sheets (in the future) if his injuries continue and a team believes the move would help.

He does struggle at times in the beginning of games, so it may not be a perfect fit. Just a thought.

I doubt sheets would be less likely to tear a ligament in his finger or develop an inner ear infection if he were in the bullpen. Ben has never really had elbow or shoulder problems, which makes his recent DL activity all the more frustrating. He should remain a SP (and we should extend him ASAP).

It might be true that some of the injuries wouldn't be prevented by having him in the bullpen. It was just an idea I was throwing out there. I think signing him to a long-term deal would be a mistake. I know we're a small market team and some of the free agent signings will be way out of our league, but I know there will be a lot of upset Brewers fans if we give Sheets $15 million a year and the injuries still happen.

Do we even really know his value right now (as far as trades)? I really think the Brewers should move him now if there is value out there for him. What if he has another freak injury on say...July 22nd and lands on the DL?

Sheets has been having freak injuries more than anyone else on the Brewers. Maybe they shouldn't be called freak injuries. Is it ok to just call Sheets injury prone? I know he hasn't had arm or major shoulder surgery, but I'd put Sheets on the bottom of the list as far as durable on the Brewers current team.

Community Moderator
Ben is a great pitcher, but he is horrible the first time through the lineup. Even on a good day, he doesn't really get going until the 5th or 6th inning. Better to leave him as a starting pitcher, or find some way to trick him into thinking it's the 5th inning when he comes in the game.

Why would he be less likely to have a freak injury in the bullpen than the starting rotation though.

If he were having Rich Harden type injuries or Kerry Wood types I could see it, but he's not having injuries like that.

There's nothing "freakish" about any of the injuries suffered by Sheets. Unusual yes, freakish no. Hamstring tweaks, upper back muscle tears, broken fingers, blisters, dizziness all happened because Sheets' body is susceptible to them. That's why more such injuries aren't just possible but likely. His body, either through genetics or poor conditioning, has shown it's not up to the riggers being placed on it by a guy throwing 95 MPH. Prince Fielder on the other hand as a comparison, has shown no such tendincies, so it's certainly not as likely for him to be beset by any similar type injury.

Freakish is getting hit by a line drive in the face or run over by a car.

I just want to clarify when I posted about Sheets as a closer it was more of the logic -- throw ideas against the wall and see if they stick. I've said maybe down the line this helps somehow -- I really don't know if it would. I'm not saying this is by all means an answer or a sure thing. It was just a thought.

I really agree with JohnBriggs on this. I'm so sick and tired of Sheets injuries. I know he's getting some love here -- which is fine. I try not to tell people who to like. I just think the question I ask myself is can we count on Ben Sheets? My answer is no and thus I want no part of an extension. If your opinion is yes, well then I understand your viewpoint and I respect that.

I think I've posted this on brewerfan before, but I'll say it again (because I don't recall if I did or not). I had the chance to randomly golf at a company event with a person that pitched with sheets in Beloit and was actually his roommate. He told me Sheets was big time news when he was on Beloit and the first reaction of most of the players was -- a guy is in this shape and still was a 1st round pick. This might be coming from guys who will never receive the money Sheets has, etc, etc, but it at least has been a thought in the Brewers organization (players wise) for quite some time. It's not that I do not like Sheets, but it's the fact that IMO we can't count on him and I wonder why he wears such a baggy uniform? And where his velocity has gone...

"I think I've posted this on brewerfan before, but I'll say it again (because I don't recall if I did or not). I had the chance to randomly golf at a company event with a person that pitched with sheets in Beloit and was actually his roommate."

The guy must have been full of it, because Sheets never pitched for Beloit.

I don't know if I buy the whole Sheets can't be a good closer. I do seem to recall him pitching 1 inning in an All Star game and he got it cranked up real good for that one inning. I don't think the any of the 3 all stars that faced him got the ball out of the IF. He seemed to have even more juice on his fastball that what he normally does.

So maybe he does start slowly now, but that's because he knows he has to be out there for 7-8 innings and 2-3 hours. If he knows he only needs to get 3 outs, I'm sure he could fire it up.

That being said, I don't want to move him to the pen either. He has the most value in the rotation.

Archived