Brewer Fanatic

Who's going hunting?

berniebrewer4life

There are people who would/still do hunt over a bait pile - stuff like apples, corn, all the stuff deer like to eat. That, to me, violates fair chase hunting.

What I did is not considered "baiting", it falls under "feeding deer", since I didn't hunt over it. I would consider baiting to be when you put out a sizable amount of food/attractant and actually hunt over it. Two gallons of corn is a ton of corn to dump in one spot.

I take a white gallon bucket, and spread it through about four different spots throughout the woods near my stand in areas where deer frequent. We have a ton of deer in our woods, so it rarely lasts to the next morning.

I tried deer hunting once, went with family members and friends of the family. I was sitting out there in the woods freezing my ass off waiting for some deer to come by that never did and the whole time i was thinking, what the hell am i doing out here. I spent the next couple days in the cabin getting drunk, watching TV, and playing cards.

It took me about an hour that first day to know hunting wasn't for me, sitting around doing pretty much nothing in the cold isn't my idea of fun. How do you hunters enjoy sitting in deer stand on days when it's freezing out? I know alot of people who love it though and i do enjoy the deer sausage my dad/brother get each year. Maybe if it was in summer i'd give it another try given i hate cold weather. I've always enjoyed fishing on a blazing hot summer day, but you can't pay me to go ice fishing

If you want some good deer hunting come down to Baggs, Wyoming. That's where I'm working right now and I've never seen so many mule deer in one concentrated area before. You literally can't drive more than 30 mph on any highway around here for fear of running something over. In the week I've been here I must've seen 10 nice sized roadside bucks. The biggest one being at least a 6X6.

How do you hunters enjoy sitting in deer stand on days when it's freezing out?
Well, in order to enjoy hunting on a cold day, you may have to spend some money. You will need to invest in some warm clothes. I have insulated Carhart's, and they are awesome. They keep the wind off of you, and they have all kinds of pockets to store things like my hunting knife, ammo, cigars, etc. You should also get yourself a nice pair of winter boots. And as far as clothing goes, it's all about layers. Thermal underwear, insulated socks, baggy pants, shirt, sweatshirt, fleece, hunting jacket, hat, and gloves. You also probably want to bring along a thermos of coffee or hot chocolate to warm your insides. I don't like wearing a big coat under my hunting jacket because it can be constricting when I'm walking through the woods, aiming my rifle, or tracking a deer. So sometimes my upper body gets a little cold. You also have to plan for the wind. Sitting in an open field when it's windy with no protection for your face can suck. All of these combined usually keep me warm enough to make it though most of the day. I usually get hungry before I get cold, but eating a hot breakfast before you go hunting also helps a lot.

Archived