Brewer Fanatic

Who's going hunting?

berniebrewer4life

I am.

I was just out doing some preparations, putting out a little corn, some scent wicks with some James Valley Wall Hanger gel (which I wholeheartedly endorse), etc. Did a little pruning by my primary stand the other night, and sighted in my shotgun. First year using this gun (a Remington 870 with the pistol grip, tactical stock, etc.), so I'm a little nervous, but it shot like a champ the other night.

First year using this gun (a Remington 870 with the pistol grip, tactical stock, etc.), so I'm a little nervous, but it shot like a champ the other night.

Eh, as long as you have a good estimate of the gun's range, you should be fine(assuming you shoot within that range). I'm using a Winchester 700(7mm Mag). I used it for the first time last year, and it has never let me down. Very accurate. Infact, i've never had a deer take a step on me after shooting with that gun.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

If I was single, I'd be going hunting all right, hunting for all the lonely women that are left alone to party with their friends, while their significant others are out rubbing deer piss all over themselves...

lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If I was single, I'd be going hunting all right, hunting for all the lonely women that are left alone to party with their friends, while their significant others are out rubbing deer piss all over themselves...

lol

Good to see we still have characters on this board.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I lived anywhere near Appleton, I'd be on College Ave all weekend long. The female to male ratio is like 80:20.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Eh, as long as you have a good estimate of the gun's range, you should be fine(assuming you shoot within that range). I'm using a Winchester 700(7mm Mag). I used it for the first time last year, and it has never let me down. Very accurate. Infact, i've never had a deer take a step on me after shooting with that gun.

Oh, I'm not really worried. I still have the almighty Remington Buckhammer 3" mag shells. The destruction it did on a doe fawn that I shot last year as my "Earn a Buck" was awe-inspiring. It was like a deer on ice, or something, the legs just buckled and it went down in a heap instantly. Definitely the best slug I have ever shot.

Hunting with a high powered rifle like a 7MM is a little different than a shotgun, though.

Here's my harvest thus far. I shot him at about 3:00 on opening day. Still out hunting for baldies, and we have a couple buck tags left among our group.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/2049119310_7cb663e2bb.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/2048329153_1e84ea4104.jpg?v=0

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really hope my dad, brother, or nephew got one - I love me some venison jerky.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really enjoy lettuce.

On a bun with a nice big venison burger.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Drew, to answer your question, yes, it's legal to put out 2 gallons of bait (corn, apples, etc.) per 40 acres of land. I read the rules because I have that kind of time.

I went hunting on Saturday and Sunday. I didn't see anything Saturday, but I saw a couple does on Sunday. I didn't have a shot, though. However, as a group, we had a pretty good weekend, bagging two does and two bucks. One buck should have been an 8-pointer, but one of the antlers was broken. I'll post pictures in a little while...

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/fc03550848b598d6d548a3c617fb6268be73ffe.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/cf03515d4d8995aad442abef119f8157589bf9c.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/44435dc04db49ea4d609af5e1a248fa6009a4e7.pjpg

Yeah, it's legal. What I was doing wasn't what would be considered "baiting", since the last time I put corn out was Thursday night, and it was a 2 gallon bucket of corn spread among various spots the deer visit. I actually hunt on a small plot of corn that we planted, so some of it went in there to "freshen" it up. We feed our deer pretty much year round, a combination of foot plots, mineral, as well as fields of corn, etc.

I am in the category of not wanting to hang out in cold weather with a bunch of guys for days at a time. While shooting a gun sounds good, I can find other places to hang out with the guys. Between the senseless stainding around for long periods of time, freezing cold weather, and being in the middle of nowhere, hunting is not for me. I will drink beer with the guys in a bar. But I will eat some deer meat from someone who has done all the work for me.

I'm glad to see some beer in those pictures, but you should really have one in your hand when posing, for at least one picture anyway. I realize you want the gun in the picture too.

I didn't see a thing all weekend. Apparently I heard a neighbor adjacent to some of our land harvested 26 deer last season. It's hard to maintain any type of quality management when you have neighbors that slaughter anything in sight.

Then they wonder why there are dry spells.

It's all considered baiting. It's just that baiting is regulated. Basically, you can have 2 gallons per 40 acres, and you can't bait at all the day before hunting season or during the season. There are also certain counties where baiting is prohibited.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/DeerBFRegulations.pdf

Archived