Brewer Fanatic

Erik Bedard

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If The Brew could get Bedard for Villy, Parra & a top prospect (Gamel), I think you have to do that, Gagne signs, we get Bedard, then the Cards come crawling back to us begging us to take Rolen. Oops, sorry I just woke up from my dream, what a scenario!!!

Capuano, Gwynn & a top 10 prospect for Rolen

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Reds apparently offered Bailey, Votto, and some other prospect.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Seems like the Brewers could deal Sheets for a couple of top youngsters, then flip them with a youngster of there own for Bedard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Seems like the Brewers could deal Sheets for a couple of top youngsters, then flip them with a youngster of there own for Bedard.

I don't think the Brewers could get a couple of top youngsters for Sheets though. Think about it, this is the third year in a row he hasn't pitched an entire season due to injury. I know it's not arm problems and stuff but he was still hurt and that's going to turn a lot of teams off. Second he's in the last year of his contract. Now a team may be willing to give up quality players if they have a window to negotiate with Sheets but I don't think you're going to get a couple of top youngsters on those two reasons alone.

Really wish the Brewers could trade their excess pitching for Bedard. The Orioles do need pitching quite badly, hopefully an offer of Cappy, Vargas, Wise and Aquino for Bedard might interest them.

The Brewers 08 rotation of Bedard, Sheets, Yo, Suppan and CV could be very solid.

The Orioles do need pitching quite badly, hopefully an offer of Cappy, Vargas, Wise and Aquino for Bedard might interest them.

Overstatement of the year. "Might"? More like, "would never in a million years".

The Brewers 08 rotation of Bedard, Sheets, Yo, Suppan and CV could be very solid.

Understatement of the year. That rotation would be amazing.

Really wish the Brewers could trade their excess pitching for Bedard. The Orioles do need pitching quite badly, hopefully an offer of Cappy, Vargas, Wise and Aquino for Bedard might interest them.

So they trade their best pitcher for two players coming off down years and two players who suck. Teams don't trade quality for quantity.

I would highly doubt that the Orioles would want Cappy Vargas Wise Aquino. For Bedard they are going to want at least 2 uber prospects, near majors ready, and a couple more players.

A team like the Orioles don't just need to add a couple extra decent arms, they are in all out rebuilding mode. They wanted Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Andy Laroche from the Dodgers. There is Matt Kemp who is the Dodgers version of Corey Hart. Kershaw who is as promising of a pitching prospect in basebal, and Laroche who is a pretty nice 3rd base prospect. The Brewers would probably have to offer at least Corey Hart, Manny Parra, Matt Gamel, and Jeremy Jeffress.

From MLB.com...

Reds: Although some people in the Baltimore organization may have been surprised to hear it, an "insider" in the Cincinnati organization rates the Reds' chances of landing left-hander Erik Bedard "at 75 percent," according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. The paper also speculated that a package of Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton and Joey Votto could get a deal done.

Note that the quote does not say the Reds have offered that package, just that it would probably get the deal done.

That rumor, in essence, perfectly sums up the offseason rumor mill. One 'insider' (?) says a certain package would have a 75% chance of getting a deal done, and the other team's F.O. guys don't even know of the offer.

It just sounds like a reporter asked somebody, 'Hey, would this offer get it done?', and the 'insider' (again, ?) replied, 'That'd probably have about a 75% chance of being accepted.' Then the rumor is printed ambiguously by the reporter who posed the question in order to generate interest. Then people like us get ahold of it, and it runs wild!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

IMO the Reds would be idiots if they gave up those guys for Bedard. I dont think they will ever win in pitching just like Philly or Colorado. THey are goin to have to score runs, and lots. They got a lot of good young hitting talent, it would be foolish to trade that away for a pitcher all be it a good one

I'd like to think these guys were the players that helped them get to where they are right now in terms of hype, as production from Bailey was minimal during the season, and Votto only had idk 100AB or less. Hamilton did help out alot when he was healthy though. Aside from Cordero, they havn't done anything else thus far, it's still substantial the signing but nonetheless. And even before they signed Cordero there was talk that CIN could be a sleeper in 2008, and most of that was based off the fact of their young talent that they have. Now trading that talent for Bedard? Is Bedard a FA after this season?

Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton and Joey Votto

I would imagine that would get it done, but they could probably get better use out of those 3 in 08' than Bedard alone.

It seems the Reds FO really wants to trade Hamilton for whatever reasons.. with that said I think Hamilton will be gone by next season, and will go on to flourish somewhere else at a line of .295/32HR..

You don't hire Dusty Baker to win with young talent. Not saying they are doing it right, but the Baker hire pretty much tells you what they want.

Agree with that and he would ruin the good career of Bedard by running up his innings.

I wanted the Brewers to look at Dusty" The Pick" Baker as a manager but he really is hell on pitchers.

Holy crap, can we trade them Sheets for that offer?
Bedard is way, way more valueable than Sheets.

Bedard has better all around numbers. Bedard is younger. Bedard is signed for the next two years. Bedard is pitching in the AL against the Yankees and Red Sox. Bedard doesn't have the injury history of Sheets.

I think folks around here really overvalue Sheets. Sheets wouldn't get us Bailey straight up.

This is just me - but Bedards injury history doesn't scare me as much as Ben's.

Tommy John surgery isn't nearly as big of a deal as it used to be. Where as Ben's could be indicative of poor conditioning/work ethic.

Bedard also pitched 196 innings two years ago. He pitched 182 this past year before he was shut down early. He would have been able to continue pitching - but with the Orioles long out of the playoff race they didn't want to tax his sore arm anymore.

Of course, maybe the Orioles are shopping Bedard because they are concerned about his injury history. If he was 100% healthy, I just can't fathom why Baltimore wouldn't try and keep him.

The O's now need a shortstop.

Bill Hall?

I don't think Hall and Capuano would get you Bedard. But Hall and Villanueva could. Yeah that's a lot but think of a rotation of Bedard, Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan and either Parra or Bush. And you'd still have pieces to get the LH bat either at 3rd or LF.

Edit: How about Hall, Villanueva and Capuano or Hall, Parra, and Vargas for Bedard and Aubrey Huff.

If Hall and Villanueva could get Bedard, I'd do that in a heartbeat. They're two good players, but Bedard is a legitimate ace.

You'd have to worry about how the Brewers would fill two position spots (OF/OF or OF/3B depending on how you look at it), but they would still have some trade bait in Capuano and Vargas.

That said, I don't think Hall and Villanueva is enough to get Bedard. It seems like the Orioles are thinking along the lines of something closer to Hall, Villanueva and Gallardo to me...which, of course, I wouldn't do.

I'd pee my pants if we could get Bedard for Hall and Villy. But I think it would take more. I'd throw Gamel and Vargas.

TwoBrewers: I completely agree with you on Sheets. He's not nearly as good, and his injury history might (please notice I said might) be indicative of a guy who doesn't take his conditioning seriously.

Archived