Brewer Fanatic

Erik Bedard

story

From MLB.com, O's prefer to extend Bedard, but have discussed him in trades.

The Baltimore Sun named the Dodgers as the most aggressive bidder, citing a package that could include outfielder Matt Kemp, reliever Jonathan Broxton and Minor League starter Clayton Kershaw. Kemp and Broxton, both 23, have enjoyed marked success in the Majors over the past two seasons, while Kershaw, 19, is largely considered one of the top starting pitching prospects in the game.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mr. Melvin,
Please ask the Dodgers if they will send a package similar to that to the Brewers for Ben Sheets while they are still smoking their hippie lettuce. Once they clear their heads they will back away from this type of package.
Cordially,
Brewerfan nation

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I'm starting to think the Dodgers are just so committed to 'cleaning up the clubhouse' right now that it's time for someone to prey on them. If it can't be us, I root that it's anyone but the Cubs. I have a hard time believing that package is true, bc as mentioned, if it were, we'd have read about this completed trade by now. Why would the Dodgers offer all that? Sheesh.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If they offered the same for Johan Santana would it be too much? Bedard had nearly an identical season and is the same age as Johan (Bedard is a week older). The difference is that Santana has been better longer and Bedard has never thrown 200 innings so you could probably expect at least one stint on the DL every season (I think he missed all of Sept 07 with a strained oblique).

It probably is a lot to give up but Bedard is kind of an under the radar quality pitcher - sort of like Harang was.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think in the rumor section of yahoo I heard the Dodgers were also offering a package of Loney, Billingsly,and Kemp for M. Cabrea.

Wow I'd seriously consider putting up one of our young hitters if they offered a package like that.

They control him for 2 more years so there's no big rush, but if they can't sign him to an extension by July, they should listen to offers, as they aren't likely to be good before he becomes a free agent and could use the rebuilding pieces. If they can get those kinds of prospects, it may be wisest to make the move and build for the future.

I think in the rumor section of yahoo I heard the Dodgers were also offering a package of Loney, Billingsly,and Kemp for M. Cabrea.
Wow I'd seriously consider putting up one of our young hitters if they offered a package like that.

Three decent players for a star is seldom a great idea, unless that star is about to walk. Loney, Billingsly and Kemp really haven't proven they can be more than decent, long term.

• The Orioles and Dodgers may be close on a deal that will send left-hander Erik Bedard to Los Angeles, a baseball source said. The O's are in need of a center fielder and a closer who can play at the major league level, and the Dogders seem willing to part with outfielder Matt Kemp and reliever Jonathan Broxton, who could come in a close in lieu of Chris Ray, out for the year after Tommy John surgery. "They want Bedard bad," said the source.

ESPN.com

I posted this in the Sheets/Dodgers thread. But it seemed relevant here as well.

Archived