Brewer Fanatic

More Fox Sports Radio Rumors

After 10 minutes of A-Rod stuff they finally got to some other teams. Here is the stuff that related to the Brewers.

Francisco Cordero is going to receive a huge contract now that the bar has been set with Billy Wagner, Todd Jones, and Mariano Rivera. The Brewers have offered a reported 3 year deal while 2 other offers at 4 years gaurenteeed. Any number of teams could be interested but it is thought that Kansas City, Houston, and Boston could be the biggest suiters for Cordero.

Scott Linebrink has gotten 2 offers also but only one as a closer which he covets. The San Francisco Giants have offered a contract to Linebrink to be the closer of the Giants but are only offering 2-3 years and Linebrink is looking for 4.

While the Red Sox have Johan Santana and Dan Haren on their top of offseason wish lists the Red Sox have a plan B if the asking point is to much. That plan B is Milwaukee Brewers Ace Ben Sheets. The Brewers who aren't actively shopping Sheets but are listening to people who inquire on on him. The thought is that just to get your foot in the door you have to start with a Major League quality starting positional player and a prospect pitcher which the Red Sox have plenty of.

Geoff Jenkins is all but a lock to end up in San Diego after the first wave of free agents sign.

Thoughts?

If I were to deal Sheets to the Red Sox it would start with that Jacoby Ellsberry kid period, if not next team.

If those are the teams interested in both Cordero and Linebrink, doesn't that really hurt our compensation for both of those players? 2 of the 3 teams for Cordero, and the Giants for Linebrink are both in the top 15 picks. So that gives us a second round pick instead of a first, correct?

and a guy like Gamel.

Not to pick on you, but this is becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Why does everyone include Gamel as the "throw-in" player. Gamel is just a notch below LaPorta, and everyone covets LaPorta like he is the next big deal.

Take a look at Gamel's stats this year. Link

He is also younger than LaPorta.

Sorry, I have a nack for giving up to much because I don't want to be one of those people who think Sheets can get David Ortiz. As far as a guy like Gamel. Gamel is always going to be one of the best pieces in a trade because he is virtually blocked at any position he could play, infact while his numbers are good on the offensive side he is actually worse at 3B then Braun is.

No way Gamel is behind LaPorta a click. I really think he'll be the better player--mark my words, thus saith the Lord!

Yeah if Sheets were to go to the Red Sox it would have to include Elderberry Wine and Lester. Buckholz would force us to add another big time player, yes or no?

Madtown Bomber is right about Gamel. The Brewers can't hang on to every prospect. That's why you replenish the system in the draft every year. Prospects are useful even if they never play a game for the Brewers.

That being said, I don't see the Red Sox giving up either Ellsbury or Papelbon for Sheets. I think they'd offer Bucholz and Crisp plus either Declercman or Hanson and maybe toss in catching prospect Kottaras.

If a team trades for Sheets, it's most likely contingent on signing him to a long term deal. I think I've said this before, but you keep repeating the same thing.

Ellsbury for Sheets (given an extension) would be quite fair, IMO. I'm sure the Boston faithful would also see Sheets as a star.

I would want a package built around Bucholz, if he is not available then would settle for Lester and/or Bowden. I think Bowden could move quickly since he is very polished for such a young pitcher with a low 90's fastball and a good curveball with very good control. Bucholz could be great, but Bowden could make a very solid top of the rotation guy and quite possibly contribute in the second half of next year. Throw in a couple of relievers or big league bat with Bowden and I would be happy with that return, but would definitely prefer Bucholz.

I do not see Ellsbury going anywhere.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like Mat Gamel a lot as a hitter, but let's see him do it at a higher level, and get a defensive position before we start anointing him as the next in line here, folks.

If we can get someone good for him, I have no issue trading him.

I have decided to drive the Gamel bandwagon. (Ok, so I don't know that he will be better than LaPorta or anything. My point was merely that Chris Cody is a thrown in type player. Gamel is not)

As for him, and others being blocked at their position - I think Gamel and other younger players have more value as they progress through the system. I realize that at some point we have to trade players who aren't helping our MLB team. But if Gamel is able to put up good AAA numbers, he is worth way more than a Gamel who puts up good A numbers.

I trust out scouting department. I am not interested in trading A players. When they have developed, and we still can't find a spot for them - then it is time to trade them. At least, that is my take.

Archived