Brewer Fanatic

Agent: Torrealba to sign with Mets/ Edit: Nope

splitterpfj

I have a feeling Torrealba might be someone the Brewers have an interest in. In his interview, Melvin stated that they were looking at a couple catchers. One, we know is Kendall, but we never heard who the other one was. Maybe the reason we didn't was because Torrealba was the other catcher who I believe reportely signed after Melvin gave that interview. Now that the deal with the Mets has broken down, we'll probably find out soon.

We've seen with all of this talk about getting another catcher that as bad as Estrada played, there really isn't much better out there right now. I feel the same about Torrealba as I do Kendall. If they want to sign one of them to form a platoon of sorts with Estrada, fine. But, I'd rather just go with Estrada if the choice is between one of the three.

This kind of reminds me of last offseason when Rod Barajas was set to sign with Toronto, but backed out at the last second. It didn't end well for Barajas, and I don't see this ending well for Torrealba.

Of course, he could be the defensive catcher that the Brewers are looking for... *shudder*

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Torrealba isn't going to be a back up anywhere so we don't have anything to worry about him. Although I wouldn't have a problem with him being the full time catcher. We don't need 9 offensive players. A catcher's main job is to call a great game and make the pitchers comfortable out there. If he can hit his own weight that's just a bonus. The other 7 or 8 if Gallardo is pitching can make up the offense.

I'm happy to say that it appears I was wrong in thinking Torrealba might be that second catcher that Melvin was looking at. The following is from the Denver Post,

"Brewers general manager Doug Melvin explained Sunday that his team was never in on Torrealba and is not pursuing the catcher."

Also mentions that the Rockies and Marlins have made offers.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_7500724

Archived