Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

Now that this is a confirmed rumor I'm really hoping this gets done. Estrada, Mench, Gwynn gone and Braun to left field? Could it get any better? (And yes, I realize Mench is very good against lefties, but I can't stand his approach and the Brewers would have plenty of righty bats).

Where exactly did this rumor originate by the way? I am having all sort of trouble trying to figure out where all this stuff was said.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am always kind of leary of the rumors that are started with Gammons being the source and the originator. he comes across as a guy who's in direct contact with both agents and GM's, but his rumors never seem to come true. I almost fear that he is actually paid by owners to be a public sounding board person. In that role, an owner will use him and leak a trade that is about to go down; he airs it publically a couple of days in advance, the public sees Gammons on TV and responds, and then the GM makes his decision to make the trade or cancel it based on the public viewpoint of it.

In this specific case, the new cardinals GM leaks the trade to Gammons. Gammons airs it on ESPN. The radio talk show hosts in St louis have all day to talk about it and get fan input. Then at the end of the day, if there is a huge backlash against the deal, the GM backs out of the deal and says it was just speculation and a rumor or he demands more from the brewers to make it a deal his fans would approve of..

I think that's exactly what happened in the Adam Dunn trade. It was leaked. There was a huge uproar against it in Cincy, and then it was canceled and the GM spin was that it was pure speculation on Gammons' part. I've heard a lot of GMs speak about trades that almost happened.

While i like the Rolen proposed deal as first described today, I currently live in Cardinals Country. and most of my neighbors would hate the deal. They don't think in terms of salary impact. They think in terms of players and player talent. and Rolen jerseys were the hottest jerseys sold in ST Louis last year. Rolen would sure look good on the back of a Brewers' blue and gold jersey.

a new slogan for Milwaukee. We're Bowlin' with Rolen.

I dont understand the washed up arguement? He is a pretty conisistent player when not injured arguable one of the greatest defensive 3rd basemen of all time. In my opinion we are a lot better with Rolen at 3rd and Braun in Left, then Braun at 3rd and a platoon in left.

Now that this is a confirmed rumor I'm really hoping this gets done. Estrada, Mench, Gwynn gone and Braun to left field? Could it get any better? (And yes, I realize Mench is very good against lefties, but I can't stand his approach and the Brewers would have plenty of righty bats).

Where exactly did this rumor originate by the way? I am having all sort of trouble trying to figure out where all this stuff was said.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike

11/30 show; the question starts 7 minutes into the Gammons segment. (For those of you with ESPN Insider.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know Gammons gets a lot of grief but he reports on trade rumors - plain and simple. I bet there are probably hundreds of trade discussions between GMs every year that don't come to frution for whatever reason. I seriously doubt - in fact, I am sure - he is not a shill for any team or MLB as a whole.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I dont understand the washed up arguement? He is a pretty conisistent player when not injured arguable one of the greatest defensive 3rd basemen of all time. In my opinion we are a lot better with Rolen at 3rd and Braun in Left, then Braun at 3rd and a platoon in left.

I just don't believe he's going to be healthy, and therefore I'm not interested. Especially with that salary.

I may agree with your last statement though. I really hope we don't go with some crappy platoon in LF.

There was a huge uproar against it in Cincy, and then it was canceled and the GM spin was that it was pure speculation on Gammons' part. I've heard a lot of GMs speak about trades that almost happened.

I don't remember Gammons every saying anything about the Dunn thing. That was bogus all-around, I think it originated on 1250 or something.

In today's Riske article on Brewers.com, it quotes Melvin as saying that he hasn't talked to the Card's in a while.

That's Dougspeak for it'll be done in 48 hours. If he adds that he isnt motivated to trade Cappy, then the trade should be all be announced.

A while could mean since yesterday. It sounds as if the Brewers have an interest in Rolen, but not at $12M per. That is pretty much what most of us think too. Gammons seems to think they will work it out.

The funny thing is Gammons has correctly forecast most every major trade, and he is a joy to watch. He uses OPS and other real world terms. I appreciate his ability to talk of trade discussions without worrying about if they'll ever take place.

A while could mean since yesterday. It sounds as if the Brewers have an interest in Rolen, but not at $12M per. That is pretty much what most of us think too. Gammons seems to think they will work it out.

The funny thing is Gammons has correctly forecast most every major trade, and he is a joy to watch. He uses OPS and other real world terms. I appreciate his ability to talk of trade discussions without worrying about if they'll ever take place.

I have little interest in Rolen if the price tag includes Capuano. If the Cards are just going to take Vargas and Mench for Rolen, then I make the deal.

First let me say I hope this goes down, I'd give them that package if they eat some salary or I'd take the whole salary if they take Vargas. I'd love his defense at 3B. If this does happen, it makes me wonder if Hall would be traded next. The concern over the all righty line-up? Maybe the high OBP guy and #2 hitter could be a lefty CF?

If they trade for Rolen and trade Hall for a RP and the CF mentioned above, you improve your defense and bull pen without giving up too much or paying too much. Any ideas on a potential combo of high OBP/ defensive CF and a RP for Hall?

2B Weeks

new CF

LF Braun

1B Fielder

RF Hart

3B Rolen

SS Hardy

C Kendall

That seems to be an improved line-up offensively and defensively

Not complaining too much about your lineup southpaw, but given Rolen's career numbers I think he needs to bat a little higher in the lineup. I could even see him being the team's #2 hitter given his propsensity to get on base. He'd get plenty to hit with Braun and Fielder behind him and could have plenty of opportunities to drive in runs with Weeks batting leadoff. I seem to remember one of the resident stat-heads mentioning that the team's best hitter should bat second, which would make such a spot for Rolen seem ideal.

That won't happen of course, because he's not a prototypical #2 hitter.

As for your idea of finding a high OBP CF, he's not a high OBP guy but ever since I latched onto the Rolen idea a few weeks ago (see page 1 of this thread) Coco Crisp keeps coming to mind as a replacement. The Red Sox may not have the best match for a potential closer, unless you still really like Craig Hansen's potential, although I'm not really sure what the Red Sox would do with Hall unless this was part of a bigger deal (maybe getting involved with the Twins/Santana deal, especially since Joe Nathan is such a popular name? -- now that would be a blockbuster).

I seem to remember one of the resident stat-heads mentioning that the team's best hitter should bat second, which would make such a spot for Rolen seem ideal.

Gotta give sbrylski his props on that. It's too bad that baseball is so slow to evolve, even when presented with good reason(s) to do so. I'd really enjoy seeing Rolen (or (an)other high-OBP, non-traditional #2 hitters) in that 2-slot. I've always felt that having some pop from the 2 hitter is so valuable, while many teams prioritize speed and contact - the ever-dreaded 'situational hitter.' Putting on the hit-&-run with your 2-hitter seems like such an unneccesary risk to me. I'd rather have someone like Rolen (or heck, Weeks) in that slot to put some stank on the ball.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I seem to remember one of the resident stat-heads mentioning that the team's best hitter should bat second, which would make such a spot for Rolen seem ideal.

Gotta give sbrylski his props on that.

Half the stuff I learned came from rluzinski and ennder and casey and others here. So we'll just pass that props right along so everyone gets a share.

Just a thought...

If we traded Gwynn, Mench and Capuano for Rolen and Franklin - we are suddenly pretty thin at OF. (Assuming we start Hall, Braun, and Hart in the OF)

I would imagne Nix would have a very good chance of making the club should this trade actually happen.

Also, if Braun, Hall and Hart are the Brewers starting OFs, as long as good health continues there likely won't be as great of a need for depth in the OF. Gross can spell each one of them from time to time to keep them fresh, and as noted, who really cares who the 5th OF is in this proposal?

But I do agree with you, Nix' chances of making the roster increase dramatically should this happen.

Archived