Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

Rolen's contract, from mlb4u.com...

Contract:

8-Year worth 90M thru 2010 season- will make 11.625M in 2005, 12.5M in 2006, 14.5M in 2007, 13.79M in 2008, 13.25M in 2009 and 12.63M in 2010- + $2M of 2007 salary is deferred with $10M of the deal in total being deffered- + he has complete NO-TRADE clause- + BONUSES he has received: 50K bonus for 2004 All-Star and 50K for 2004 Gold Glove, 50K for 2004 NL MVP finish, 50K for 2005 All-Star selection, $50K for 2006 Gold Glove

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Given what guys on the open market are getting, Rolen at 3 yrs/36 mil is a huge bargain IF (that's a big if) you get 130 games out of him and pre-2007 offensive production. It's a risk when you're team with a small(er) payroll, but it might pay off big. The only thing I think I would balk at is that he's still on the payroll when other guys (more important guys) are going to start to get real expensive. I don't want Scott Rolen being the salary that makes us have to choose between Weeks and Hart (or Fielder and Braun and so on).

With our RH heavy lineup, I hope it's Cappy going down there.

Our defense in the infield will be pretty good. Fielder's errors will go down with Rolen across the diamond. JJ is solid. Rickie has improved big time.

I'd be pretty happy if this is true.

problem is that we are assuming braun can just walk into left field after a month of spring training and be good. We tried this last year and it took a while for Hall to get conformable. I am leary about this.

It's a lot better than assuming Braun can just walk into third base and be good.

problem is that we are assuming braun can just walk into left field after a month of spring training and be good. We tried this last year and it took a while for Hall to get conformable. I am leary about this.

You're comparing CF to LF. Guys like Pat Burrell, Adam Dunn, Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, Chris Duncan and Carlos Lee can play LF. Braun is a better athlete than all of them I don't see it being a problem.

that may be true, and i agree that lf is easier to play than cf. I also understand that he may never figure out 3rd. I am just saying that its not as easy as one would think just to grab an OF's glove and play a good left. He very well may figure it out during spring training, but we can't be assured of that.

that may be true, and i agree that lf is easier to play than cf. I also understand that he may never figure out 3rd. I am just saying that its not as easy as one would think just to grab an OF's glove and play a good left. He very well may figure it out during spring training, but we can't be assured of that.

It's not that hard to play LF, much easier than 3B and we know Braun is going to be a butcher there. So why not add a GG defender at a more premium defensive spot?

What's there to figure out? Just stand out there and dont look as bad as Mench or Carlos Lee.

What's there to figure out? Just stand out there and dont look as bad as Mench or Carlos Lee.

It's not the flyballs that would be tricky, its the liners. (I'd imagine.) You can look quite foolish out there if you've only taken a few weeks of hard, 290 foot line drives right at you, trying to judge the distance, curve, and speed. If he runs in and the ball sails over his head, or he stays in place and it curves past him into the corner, athleticism won't help.

I'd just like to throw in that Rolen for 3 year would really provide the Brewers with some extra time to groom their next 3B.

Mat Gamel is worse than Braun at 3B. But he is a great batter. Perhaps, in two full years in the minors at 3B - he might be able to take over for Rolen. He played last year at Brevard County. Likely to start in Huntsville this year.

Taylor Green is only 21. But he was the minor league player of the year for the Brewers. He has only played at West Virginia. So he has a long ways to go as well. Likely to play at Brevard County this year.

Just saying, Rolen would really fit into our "time frame" as well.

as someone that has played 1st for the last 20 years its not as easy as it seems to go to from playing infield to outfield. As someone mentioned before judging fly balls isnt the hard thing(unless you are 60% of people that attend games in person, the ball isnt always a homer and its coming to your section) its the liners. To this day i am worthless to some extent playing the outfield, but if i practiced a whole year i guess i would be better. The arm issue is another thing, his arm is "trained" to throw to 1st, playing the outfield the distance is longer and the arm angle and the flight of the ball are going to be different.

as someone that has played 1st for the last 20 years its not as easy as it seems to go to from playing infield to outfield. As someone mentioned before judging fly balls isnt the hard thing(unless you are 60% of people that attend games in person, the ball isnt always a homer and its coming to your section) its the liners. To this day i am worthless to some extent playing the outfield, but if i practiced a whole year i guess i would be better. The arm issue is another thing, his arm is "trained" to throw to 1st, playing the outfield the distance is longer and the arm angle and the flight of the ball are going to be different.

Maybe it's just me then. I played 1B/OF and had no problems getting good reads on the line drives. I must be a stellar defensive player, I'm up for a reserve role on an ML roster. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Now that this is a confirmed rumor I'm really hoping this gets done. Estrada, Mench, Gwynn gone and Braun to left field? Could it get any better? (And yes, I realize Mench is very good against lefties, but I can't stand his approach and the Brewers would have plenty of righty bats).

Archived