Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

Yeah I don't understand swapping fairly similar 3B's, although Glaus doesn't have the problems with LaRussa that Rolen has. Still, I'd think they'd rather pick up some pitching in a deal for Rolen.

Glaus is better than Rolen.

I cannot believe some posters here actually wanted to give away Capuano AND Hall for an injury-prone Rolen. Hopefully this trade goes through and that discussion is put to bed.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Jays only get Rolen in return for Glaus, I'd seriously start to question J.P. Ricciardi & his crew. If anything, the Cards would have to add P/SP to help land Glaus. Doesn't make any sense.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Isn't it possible that rolen could still veto this deal? or that toronto could turn around and trade rolen to the brewers? Toronto and the brewers have a good trading partner history. on the surface, it looks like melvin signed Cameron knowing the rolen for glaus swap was going to happen.

it's 2;30 PM Monday and Rolen is still a Cardinal. An article on espn said the deal required glaus agreeing to sign up on his 2009 option. in addition to passing a physical today, both players must also waive their no trade clause of their contract. if rolen really wanted to be a brewer, now would be the time to invoke his no trade clause.

I'm not sure if Rolen will pull a kobe and veto the deal, or if he'll just accept his fate and go to toronto. There are a lot of players who don't like getting traded to toronto. maybe this done deal will have the same result as the brian roberts to the Cubs deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3193566

notice it does say both players have to waive their no trade clause.

According to this Cards blog, the Jays will also be sending cash to the Cards with Glaus. There's also some info on other offers the Cards got, including Cliff Lee and Jhonny Peralta from the Indians (Cleveland would have wanted Anthony Reyes, too) and Chone Figgins from the Angels (also mention the Brewers' offer of Cappy).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Thanks, cc. I can't believe the Cards didn't jump all over the Lee/Peralta offer. A SS that can hit like Jhonny, plus spell his first name that way, isn't readily available. At least, not as much as a 3B. I can't believe StL thinks they can get by with Brendan Ryan at SS... then again, they won't be competing for much anyway in 2008, so why bother spending money like the Astros?

KMOX radio out of ST louis was talking tonight about the press conferences scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, so its' a done deal. the only reason it is not official was not because rolen was going to invoke his no trade clause, but rather a sports legend in St louis died, and they want that to be the main story and activity.

The KMOX radio announcer seemed to think Glaus had a lot more power than Rolen would have in the future and that Rolen's recent injury took away some of his power and that Rolen was always uncomfortable batting clean-up. he went on to say Glaus was a decent / above average fielder with a plus arm. he compared Glaus' fielding ability to Ensbergs. Although he said Rolen's fielding skills were at another level. The KMOX radio announcer seemed to like Glaus' power and his OBP.

he went on to talk about the projected lineup and had no idea who was going to end up leading off for the Cardinals. one hope was the phenom OF Rasmus would gain a starting job. Another alternative to lead off was Shemacher in a platoon role. the third alternative was Ankiel. after offering up so many possibilities for the lead-off position they never got any further other than to say Glaus will bat 4th and Pujols will bat third.

and we thought we had problems.

the third alternative was Ankiel.

That whopping .328 OBP says hello! If Ankiel is LaRussa's choice to bat 1st, he might as well bat the P second. Well said, Reed ("we thought we had problems.") - the Brewers have come a looooonnnng way.

This was a deal of convenience for both teams. Neither team was satisfied with the guy they had.

The Brewers couldn't have gotten Glaus, because the Jays needed a third baseman. Rolen is a much better fielder, but his days as a big time slugger are likely behind him. Glaus on the other hand is more likely to be a 30-35 HR, 100 RBI guy again especially moving from the AL East to the NL Central.

Gopher74 wrote:

and we thought we had problems.

No, actually YOU thought "we" had problems. Most of us are pretty happy with the current team and the current lineup.

Pretty sure he meant our manager.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 1 month later...
I seem to remember a former Brewer power hitting third baseman that played pretty decent defense. Russell Branyan is a free agent, isn't he? If Russ could play a passable 3B, and hit 6th or 7th in the lineup, wouldn't that work out? He did have a great OBP. Just imagine what he could do with 600 ABs! We could be talking about 100 HRs from the OF and 120-140 from our infield!

*ducks and runs for cover*

By the way, I'm just kidding. (I think)

Yes, I am quoting myself from two months ago...

BAM!!!

I actually predicted something that happened! (kind of) I'm awesome! (maybe)

Archived