Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cant fault the guy for asking. Looking at it from his side, its still way early, he doesnt have to move him now, so why not ask for the world and force the other team to bargin.

He kind of does have to move him if the relationship between Rolen and LaRussa is damaged beyond repair though. He gave Edmonds to the Padres for peanuts just give Rolen to us for peanuts. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

well the problem with that is if teams like the brewers come up with alternative plans you may be stuck with a player you didn't intend of keeping. There are positives to asking the world, there are just risks as well. I've said this before. I wouldn't mind to have him here, but we better not give up more than a sp and some minor leaguers and they better pick up some of his salary. he is a risk and there are other options out there that are less risky.

Just a minute before I saw TC's post, I showed this thread to my office mate (a big Corey Hart fan), who declared that the Cardinals' GM must be smoking Christmas crack.

I would guess the candy canes off the Christmas tree, but he is deffinatley smoking something if he really thinks Hart and Cappy for Rolen would be a fair or serious trade proposal. I would think Hart puts up better numbers than Rolen next year, plus he has speed. Not that I put much stock in stolen bases, btu all things equal I would take the faster guy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Cards GM: Rolen for Hart and Capuano

DM counter: done deal with Carpenter and Wainwright included.

What a complete turd! I hope we find a better alternative, and this guy gets stuck sending Rolen somewhere for next to nothing. Weakens a division opponent even worse.

Maybe DM gets Blalock now that the Rangers got that Cuban who can play all over? Let the Cards then rot with no market for Rolen. Cappy and Gwynn for Hammerin' Hank!

cant fault the guy for asking. Looking at it from his side, its still way early, he doesnt have to move him now, so why not ask for the world and force the other team to bargin.
He kind of does have to move him if the relationship between Rolen and LaRussa is damaged beyond repair though. He gave Edmonds to the Padres for peanuts just give Rolen to us for peanuts. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah, but he didn't deal Edmonds within the division, which makes this situation more difficult.

The offer could stem from the reluctance to trade within the division. If we really want him, that's what it would take right now - and we obviously turned it down. I'm sure the asking price would be lower for other teams.

So, to me, that puts the Brewers pretty much out of the running, unless Rolen holds them hostage.

I want Teahen now anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Let's keep in mind that this is "2ndhand secondhand" information. I'm certainly not trying to discredit the poster that put the rumor up, but this is one of those "I know a guy who knows a guy" type deals, and it's entirely possible that the proposal isn't exactly the way it went down.

That being said, of course, Hart alone is 3 times too much to give up for Rolen, let alone adding in a starting pitcher.

I'd let the bad blood between LaRussa and Rolen fester a bit longer if I were Doug, maybe get the price down to a straight Vargas-for-Rolen deal, or maybe a Mota-for-Rolen deal.

Time is on our side in this situation. I do not think rushing into a deal is a bad idea. If the Cards get the impression that the Brewers are perfectly content to go with Gabe Gross as the starting LF, and the sniping continues, they'll come to the Crew with a better deal.

I'd let the bad blood between LaRussa and Rolen fester a bit longer if I were Doug, maybe get the price down to a straight Vargas-for-Rolen deal, or maybe a Mota-for-Rolen deal.

I know you couldn't be talking about our psuedo-non-tendered relief pitcher so I can only assume you want to trade the new GM some hippie lettuce for our X-Mas hot-sacker. Unfortunately, barters in kind happen in college, not the majors.

I know you couldn't be talking about our psuedo-non-tendered relief pitcher so I can only assume you want to trade the new GM some hippie lettuce for our X-Mas hot-sacker. Unfortunately, barters in kind happen in college, not the majors.

Actually, no.

If the sniping continues, and the bad blood festers, I think the Cards' asking price will drop.

Remember when the Brewers moved Sheffield for a very poor return? And look at some of the other deals involving him. And this is a guy who still racks up an OPS+ of 120 at age 38.

Rolen's price will drop as the season gets closer.

If the sniping continues, and the bad blood festers, I think the Cards' asking price will drop.

I think they'll find a different taker before it gets to Mota. And by the sound of it, its always going to cost us an extra player or extra couple million compared to another team, being as we are in the same division.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Actually, no.

Remember when the Brewers moved Sheffield for a very poor return? And look at some of the other deals involving him. And this is a guy who still racks up an OPS+ of 120 at age 38.

Sheffield wasn't a 5 time all star and 7 time gold glover when they traded him, let alone a decent player at all. Rolen has been hurt, but a lot of people in baseball are still going to believe he has a lot of value left. I don't see a whole lot of comparison between Rolen's trade value and Sheff's at the time the Brewers moved him. I certainly don't believe they'll move him for a reliever who was last good about 3 years ago, who's more or less just like several others who will be available on waivers at some point in the off-season.

Sheffield had completely torn apart minor-league pitching, and had struggled in MLB at the ripe old ages of 20 & 21. His age 22 season was cut short by injury (merely 175 ABs). Hardly not a decent player. I agree that the situations are sorta apples-to-oranges in terms of age, but not in terms of quality of player involved. If anything, SD got a better player in 23-y-o Sheff than we would/might in 32-y-o Rolen.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Actually, no.

Sheffield wasn't a 5 time all star and 7 time gold glover when they traded him, let alone a decent player at all. Rolen has been hurt, but a lot of people in baseball are still going to believe he has a lot of value left. I don't see a whole lot of comparison between Rolen's trade value and Sheff's at the time the Brewers moved him. I certainly don't believe they'll move him for a reliever who was last good about 3 years ago, who's more or less just like several others who will be available on waivers at some point in the off-season.

How about the Estrada deal? One of the better offensive catchers in the majors got dealt for that washed-up reliever.

Personally, I think the Brewers can get the Cards down to a straight Vargas-for-Rolen deal.

Wow, that's a huge post for 3 lines. Estrada may be one of the best offensive catchers in MLB(I don't believe it, I think he is average at best), but there were personality conflicts between Estrada and Maddux which was probably a bigger reason for the trade than anything he did on the field.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived