Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People keep saying that Bill Hall should go back to 3rd. That just isn't going to happen. Not only would it be unfair to Hall to change positions again but it would put Gwynn in center. If he's on the team, he's in center.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

People keep saying that Bill Hall should go back to 3rd. That just isn't going to happen. Not only would it be unfair to Hall to change positions again but it would put Gwynn in center. If he's on the team, he's in center.

Corey Hart has shown the ability to play a nice CF, as has Gabe Gross. Personally, I think both would be options before Gwynn is given the starting job. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a RF would be acquired.

.and from the St Louis viewpoint, they've been saying Edmunds' days of being a full time player are all but gone. I have to believe St Louis would probably do a 1 for 1 swap of rolen for Pierre.

I really doubt that. Edmonds 1 year $8 million is much more attractive than Pierre's 4 years $30-40 some million and their top prospect Colby Rasmus should take over for Edmonds in 2009.

Let the Rolen thing die. His contract is a burden and he hasn't been that good since 2004 because his shoulder is a chronic problem.

I realize that "good" is a pretty subjective term, but I'm surprised you don't consider his 2006 season good:

.296/.369/.518 22HR 482B All-Star Gold-Glove

trwi7: the cards announcers said last year that Edmond's last season with the Cards would probably be 2008. The y hinted he might remain with the Cardinals in some other capacity but not as a player. Rasmus would be a good replacement if ready.

i think part of the problem with rolen is that a trade to the Dodgers would be logical to both the Dodger GM and St louis GM, but rolen doesn't want to be part of the Dodgers which has been frustrating to both GMs . It sounds like Rolen is using his veto power just like kobe is to dictate to the St louis gm where he will be traded to and he's demanding a trade.

Living in cardinals land here in Southern Illinois, i don't think the new Cards GM really wants to trade rolen at all, but he feels pressure coming from Rolen, and he knows that larussa and rolen can't co-exist. He resigned larussa, so now he's hoping they can put their differences behind them. but that's not happeneing. I think the Cards would have been better off allowing Larussa to leave when they had the chance. Pujols was not particularly happy that Larussa didn't use him in the all star game in that bases loaded situation. Batting Rowland instead of pujols did not sit well back in St Louis.

Cards fans will hate any type of rolen trade no matter what talented players the Cardinals gain in return. Rolen's cult following is bigger than hall and Prince combined. The venders love him too. they can't keep enough Rolen jerseys on the rack. Acquiring Rolen would be like the bucks drafting YI. You will be amazed at how many fans he has.

As they say on rawhide: Rolen, Rolen, Rolen, keep those cardinals rolen' Rawhide!

And didn't he say he would only waive his no trade clause to go to a west coast contender? I don't think the Giants are that, their pitching is good but their offense was abyssmal even with Bonds. Now Bonds is out of the picture and they have to decide if they want to do a Lincecum for Rios trade which makes their offense better but then their pitching takes a hit.

The Padres aren't in need of a 3B with Kouzmanoff there now and Headley in the minors. He wouldn't waive it to go to the Dodgers when Bowa is there. Seattle doesn't need a 3B with Beltre. So it still makes a ton of sense for the Cardinals to come back to the Brewers and lower their demands. We have a surplus of what they need and we need to get Braun's defense off of 3B.

trwi7: i can't agree with you more. I'd hate to be the new Caards GM this month. i know he really wants to keep Rolen, but he can't. Both rolen and larussa are forcing his hand to make a trade that no Cards fan is going to like. he's trying t o hold out for the best deal he can get, but rolen is forcing him to make a deal he feels his fan base will not approve of, and he'll look like a stupid GM. As a new GM , you always want to make that first trade a good one. and unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

I almost believe he'd rather trade la russa for yost and be willing to pick up the cash difference.

the longer this goes on, the more confidence i have rolen will become a brewer. Despite his stats, eckstein was kind of a popular card as well. it's going to be a cold Winter in St louis for a new GM. the new guy for the twins is probably feeling the same presure in trading Santanna. he knows he has to make the trade, but he doesn't want to look like he was taken to the cleaners.

Yeah this has to be a nightmare for Mozeliak. His first trade may be trading a fan favorite because he and the manager hate eachother. Since he's also coming off surgery and has a no trade clause his value is even lower and he can dictate where he wants to go. So there's not much working in Mozeliak's favor here, I would hate to be in his position.

The way this is going for St. Louis we may not have to even give up Capuano better yet Hall. Rolen can pretty much dictate where he goes and they have to trade him. Most teams are worried about his injuries. If I were Doug I'd call back next week and lower the offer. The longer they wait the harder it gets to trade him. This is one of those deals were a team can steal him.

The way this is going for St. Louis we may not have to even give up Capuano better yet Hall. Rolen can pretty much dictate where he goes and they have to trade him. Most teams are worried about his injuries. If I were Doug I'd call back next week and lower the offer. The longer they wait the harder it gets to trade him. This is one of those deals were a team can steal him.

Good point. I like that line of thinking.

I wonder if the Cardinals would consider a package of Claudio Vargas/Kevin Mench and Adam Heether for Rolen? That way they get a starter or a corner outfielder and a young-ish 3B with decent talent back. I'd happily give up Heether with both Mat Gamel and Taylor Green around for the future. That would make Rolen's contract much easier to stomach if we didn't have to give much to get him.

If i were melvin, I'd come back and say the brewers will take on rolen's salary, but offer less talent in return. Looking at the brewers ' payroll , it looks like we could absorb the hit of rolen's salary, and there are not many more players on the FA market that the brewers would really be that interested in signing anyway.

I actually think that same thought process could work for a number of potential trades with the brewers giving up little talent wise and agreeing to pick up the tab money wise. it worked in the Torres deal. however, with the additions of Riske and Torres, we all know a pitcher is heading elsewhere. Guys like vargas and capuano are more valuable as starters for some other tea m than long relievers for the Brewers.

If i were melvin, I'd come back and say the brewers will take on rolen's salary, but offer less talent in return.

I'd actually say that's probably the stance the Brewers are taking. Obviously, the closer they get to his full salary, the less they'll have to offer.

Problem is, supposedly they wanted a bunch of talent AND the Brewers to pick up his FULL salary already, and that's when the trade talks broke off.

You know, Melvin's deals get criticized, and in some cases rightfully so, but if you can say one thing about him, it's that he rarely gets hornsnoggled, and more often comes away with the better of deals. If there were one quality I'd be able to pick in a GM, not getting whipped in trades would be near the top of the list if not at the top.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvin's deals get criticized, and in some cases rightfully so, but if you can say one thing about him, it's that he rarely gets hornsnoggled

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/d0e255945c9e1dd7984222aa7f65881af1c6520.jpg

=

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/27515c489cd39f273ed570cce412e33ee16caa8.jpg

?

Don't know where exactly to put this, but since this rumor had some of the best legs of this offseason, I choose here.

With the recent claim of Aquino by the Orioles, it seems a deal is pending. Anyone have any whispers or rumors?

Melvin did say too on WSSP just now that the Brewers would like to add a left handed batting thirdbaseman (old news) but the one that is out there, really isn't available. So hopefully this refocuses our attention on Scott Rolen. Putting him at third would help us catch the Cubs with their addition of Fukudome (specifically on defense).

If we do stockpile another veteran arm for the bullpen, maybe we could ship Turnbow and an excess backend starter to the Cards for Rolen to maybe put more chips on the poker table.

B2k, would that be four souls, or just one? You don't wanna overpay like the Astros did for Tejada. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://f.screensavers.com/migration/wp/B2K_215.gif

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/CD/LF/544286_CD_L_F.jpg

Sorry - ever since I saw your name, I've wondered to myself, 'Hey - wasn't that a boy band a few years back?' I am in no way making fun of you, just passing some time by being my typical childish self.

I really expect the Rolen thing to happen for some reason. I think they will eventually come back, and lower their demands. I think we will find out very soon, I think they want Braun to know where he will be playing next year.

Archived