Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

I would be fine sending them Cappy, Gwynn, and some like Escobar for Rolen plus perhaps a pitching prospect or someone like Ryan Franklin. If they include Franklin I would be willing to assume some more salary, if they dont I would want the Cards to take a little more

In Conclusion

Just Do It

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, welcome to the internet, Tom Haudricourt. I'm starting to like you more and more.

I don't think the Rolen deal is anywhere near "dead". The Cardinals greenhorn GM is starting to realize what Rolen's actual value on the market.

I'm glad we don't have Rolen. I think Hall is marginally better at 3rd given that Scottie is an older version of Ben Sheets-in-the-field. I want no part of short term solutions in a small market venue. One wrong move and zap! You're screwed for five years. I can't see them adding LaRoche now because of his bad back. I'd concentrate on a centerfielder now. I like the Fukudome dude, but there's risk there as well. There might not be any good answers and we may just have to live with the consequences.

do you think Hall is a better defensive 3B than Rolen, or his bat is better. I tend to think that if Rolen is healthy, he is better both defesively and offensively, but that is just one man's opinion.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Haudricourt's should be more professional that to write a response like that to one of his readers. I don't care how annoying the comments might have been - just ignore them.

Looks like Rolen will be traded...

Statements issued from his Rolen & his agents.

"These are matters that I never discussed publicly and are matters that should have remained private," Rolen said. "I will not dignify Tony's comments with any response at this time."

[His agent] made it sound as if a trade was inevitable.

"It is entirely disingenuous for Tony to claim to be mystified when last year, the organization in a conference call apologized for his highly inappropriate behavior," he said. "This year, Tony wrote a letter and left a follow-up voicemail which would prove to any reasonable person that the relationship is irreparably damaged."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
turborickey wrote:do you think Hall is a better defensive 3B than Rolen, or his bat is better. I tend to think that if Rolen is healthy, he is better both defesively and offensively, but that is just one man's opinion.

Rolen at 70% is probably a better fielding 3rd sacker than most of the guys in the league. Now obviously when he was hurt, his offense suffered, but his glove more than makes up for his offensive shortcomings if he's so much as "average" with the bat.

Haudricourt's should be more professional that to write a response like that to one of his readers. I don't care how annoying the comments might have been - just ignore them.

I don't know, I kind of liked it. He's been responding to people's questions in the comments sections of his posts. He willingness to interact with and be receptive to his readers questions and ideas is commendable. I don't think he said anything over the line, and he kept it in the comments section. The trade offs for greater access and interactivity might be reading the occassional snide comment in response to persistent stupidity.

I agree with twobrewers on Haudricourt. While I empathize with him, as that poster clearly was a blowhard, that response was incredibly unprofessional. That's 8th-grade stuff.

"The Brewers apparently drew the line at pitcher Chris Capuano. The Los Angeles Dodgers have an interest but were described by one team official Wednesday as 'background noise.'"

I love this. You wanna play hardball, StL? Dougie plays hardball. At this point, it looks like the deal could end up being just Cappy, with the Cards eating some salary.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It was mentioned on mlbtraderumors that the likelyhood of ROlen going to Dodgers is not very good since his old nemesis Larry Bowa is the 3rd base caosh. I think it would be pretty unlikely that Rolen would waive his no trade clause to go from one coach he doesnt like to one coach he also doesn't like

This narrows it down to the Brewers and the only team ever mentioned, the Rangers

I am glad Haudricourt let that fool have it. If someone questioned my journalistic integrity I certianly wouldnt have just taken it. I am glad he wrote that. But then again I am not a journalist.

I understand what you're saying, but I think Haudricourt is a thin-skinned, petulant whiner. I once sent him an email in which I questioned something he had written in what I'm pretty sure was a very respectful and reasoned way; I went out of my way -- hell, I lied -- to compliment him on his work. He responded with the same kind of sarcasm he threw at this poster (who of course I agree had it coming) , and for good measure he mocked what I do for a living. I have a lot more respect for journalists than many people do, but I think Haudricourt's attitude is a disgrace to his profession. I have nothing but contempt for him personally.

Having said that, I'm starting to respect his work more. His blog is actually doing what reporters are supposed to do, which is inform people about what's going on. When some of us in the past have ripped Haudricourt for his lax reporting, his defenders have made the point that maybe the J-S wasn't letting him do more, and I think his blog supports their point. Also, although he's still pretty retrograde when it comes to important topics like the minors and stats, he seems to have a very clear head about how to evaluate trade rumors and possibilities. He has certainly provided more useful grist for this board's discussions during this offseason than he ever has before.

Greg.

I think that TH was definitely out of line. Whether the other guy "had it coming" or not is irrelevant. The lack of professionalism he showed is typical of the Journal-Sentinel, imo. Ironically, I think BF.net is far more informative, credible, and respectful of its audience than most mainstream media offerings on baseball, particular the JS. I can never imagine Brian or any of the other mods treating someone the way TH treated that guy, no matter what a joker he is.

Thanks for making this such a great place for all things Brewers.

Phil I would like to rescind my praise as it regards And That http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I still have a good feeling that Mr. Rolen will be a brewers. What does everyone think of the percentage of Mr Rolen being traded here. I say 95% he is coming.

I think that may be an accurate chance of him being traded generally, but not necessarily to the Brewers. It all depends on how weird they get about a return. If they simply have it in their heads that they have to get a top prospect and someone else is willing to part with a highly ranked prospect who they think little of (ie he's overhyped), he could very well land somewhere else.

the release of taguchi by the cards would make it seem like the cards are about to do something. For what it's worth, during a couple of cards games on the radio last year, their announcer was saying that Edmunds is no longer what he used to be and that the cardinals need to find a replacement this year. The Cards showed zero interest in Andrew Jones. perhaps they are looking at Rowland. another side note, the cards' current ownership has been trying to cut the team's payroll for the last three years to get it into the $80-85 million range. all of this points to the Cards wanting to trade Rolen for a cheap and young CF. I think the Cards want Hall a lot more than they want Capuano.

A question about kemp and Either. Can Either one be considered as a potential starting CF?

The Brewers could just move Hall to third base, while the Dodgers could just plug LaRoche in at third base.

The Brewers have discussed dealing Hall to the Dodgers, while the Dodgers have been exploring multiple options to bring in a new third baseman.

The Cardinals want desperately to rid themselves of Scott Rolen, and would then need a new third baseman.

Watch this - Hall will open the season playing third in LA, Rolen will be in Milwaukee, LaRoche will be in St Louis, and all three teams will talk about how much better they are at the position.

Jsonline just reported that Brewers will trade a least 1 starting pitcher.

I have no doubt, the Brewers are not going to have eight starting pitchers on the Opening Day roster. This team has needs to fill, and other teams need to fill pitching spots....it's just a matter of time.

Joey, i would agree with you.

The Dodgers gm promised the fans of LA that he would make changes this off season to get the Dodgers in the play-offs. Their GM spent big bucks on Jones and torre. I could see where the Dodgers would want to ship pierre to St louis for Rolen. Adding Rolen, Jones, Torre and a healthy Jason Schmidt would go a long way to making the LA fans happy.

and from the St Louis viewpoint, they've been saying Edmunds' days of being a full time player are all but gone. I have to believe St Louis would probably do a 1 for 1 swap of rolen for Pierre. and the St Louis press would give it the slant that Pierre is the third coming of Lou brock and Vince Coleman. it's back to Whitey ball. St louis fans dig the stolen base and 2-1 games.

Haudricourt with another scoop. Of course it's been obvious since about July that the Brewers would trade a starter in the offseason. That's if you consider Capuano or Vargas starters as neither was in the rotation down the stretch.

Let the Rolen thing die. His contract is a burden and he hasn't been that good since 2004 because his shoulder is a chronic problem.

Archived